Updates information

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Pr Edi Giudetti | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2016 5:57 PM

Wondering if there is any way of being informed on what updates are to be downloaded BEFORE they are actually loaded? I currently have an available 'Update' that is 1.1GB with no new resources expected. 

Id like to know what these updates are before i accept them, is there anyway to find out?

Warm Regards, Edi.

Posts 33460
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2016 6:24 PM

Edi Giudetti:
Id like to know what these updates are before i accept them, is there anyway to find out?

Not really, sometimes there are clues in the forums but ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2755
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 10:04 AM

I update multiple machines as do some others. I think the smart thing to do is fire up Logos each day and let it update while you are doing something else. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 12:34 PM

Edi Giudetti:
Wondering if there is any way of being informed on what updates are to be downloaded BEFORE they are actually loaded? I currently have an available 'Update' that is 1.1GB with no new resources expected. 

Typically not know what is queued for download, which can be updated resources.

Personally have one installation that is updated daily. If another installation shows hundreds of MB's (or more) for update, then use scan command to copy from primary installation, which is much faster than hours of downloading.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 6
Pr Edi Giudetti | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 4:14 AM

Thanks for that. Concern is not really the download time or opportunity, but the download itself. I don't like to download updates of they alter the system much. Been damaged by software updates in the past so I like to wait it out (Apple OS is a prime example of 'bugs' in updates).

Sometimes its resources, thats easy; but sometimes its actual System updates and thats something I'd like to know about before accepting. 

So if there is a way to know what it is before saying "Yes please change my system, I trust your update won't hurt" , I will take it every time. I think it should be a requirement or at least available.

Would be good to know if anyone knows. 

Thanks again, Edi Giudetti

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 5:26 AM

Edi - at the sort of size you mention, it's likely that this download is a load of updated resources and datasets - application updates aren't normally that large. Although it is quite likely that there's an application update in there as well. 

When a version update comes out, it is always advised in the Logos 7 forum, with Release Notes so you can always check there: the Release Notes also tell you about bug fixes. If you check your current version number against the last release in the forum (7.2 SR-1). SR-1 fixed some bugs. (https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7.2_SR-1)

A version update comes out every six weeks, and it is normally advisable to keep up to date. I understand your reluctance, and I always used to delay updating but nowadays the quality of releases has improved significantly. It's a long while since we had one that broke anything major. I normally don't update until early in the week so that I don't impact sermon preparation. 

I suggest that, when you do update, you make sure you have time free afterwards as the indexing of an update that size is likely to take quite a while. I'd leave it overnight to index after updating. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 164
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 5:47 AM

It would be nice if Logos had a setting to "Notify when downloads are available - ask to install" option.

It just occurred to me to also include an "Do not automatically run index when running on battery" or "Ask before indexing when running on battery" option.

Logos 9 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (21H1) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.15.7 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPadPro (2020) iPadOS 14.6 | iPhoneXR iOS 14.6

Posts 2769
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 9:12 AM

DivineCordial:

It would be nice if Logos had a setting to "Notify when downloads are available - ask to install" option.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, there is. In your Program Settings, set "Automatically Download Updates" to No, and make sure "Show the Notification Bar" is set to Yes.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 6
Pr Edi Giudetti | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2016 8:35 PM

Thanks for that Greg, that was the information I was looking for.

I don't have updates run automatically, but could never know what it was that was being installed. 

This might help, though It would be of benefit if Logos could provide a direct link to the upload information notes prior to accepting same. Its clear items are being loaded on individual computers with updates specific to those computers, I could conceive that this information could/should be readily available.

Thanks again for the input.

Warm regards, Edi.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2016 8:42 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

DivineCordial:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, there is. In your Program Settings, set "Automatically Download Updates" to No, and make sure "Show the Notification Bar" is set to Yes.

Personally have "Show the Notification Bar" set to No so a Blue circle appears (next to sync) when Downloads are available. Hover on Blue Circle also has notification of index progress.

Thankful can set "Automatically Download Updates" to No so can choose when to download, index, install, ... while "Use Internet" is set to Yes that allows sync to happen automatically plus can use Online Only features.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1333
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2016 9:54 PM

As noted above, program updates usually come every 6 weeks and usually on Tuesdays. They usually are in the range of 150-200 MB (for Windows, at least). Bigger/smaller downloads are usually new resources and resource and/or dataset updates. (Usually! Stick out tongue)

Check the Logos 7 forum and see if a new program update is available. I usually like to wait and watch a few days before downloading those in case there are any problems with them. Usually if there are, a fix will be out in a day or two, so why download twice? I do agree, however, that this is not as much of a problem as it used to be.

More detailed update information and the option to do selective downloads was a feature of Libronix that FaithLife, in its wisdom, decided to discontinue. Despite repeated user requests over the years, they do not seem to be taking any steps to reinstate that feature. It shouldn't be the case, though, that if you have just bought a single book of a few hundred KB that you may have to download hundreds of MB of updates in order to access it. But FL wants it to be all or nothing in the newer versions of Logos.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS