The Camel's Nose

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5396
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 19 2016 2:10 AM

In considering the possibility of getting the L7 Collector's Edition, one thing fills me with terminal dread...the thought of the massive amount of dreadful bloat contained in the package. Is there still no way of rejecting the fluff that constitutes about 1/2 to 2/3 of the package? I honestly don't want that dreck on my computer.

Please...I know all about hiding stuff. That's not an acceptable option. I want to have a check box option allowing me to block the unwanted stuff from polluting my system and its precious resources. 

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 24915
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 2:15 AM

David Paul:
Is there still no way of rejecting the fluff that constitutes about 1/2 to 2/3 of the package?

The only way I am aware of at the moment is to download the package - with all its resources - and then hide the ones you don't want.

EDIT:

Apologies I responded before you added the second paragraph

David Paul:
Please...I know all about hiding stuff. That's not an acceptable option. I want to have a check box option allowing me to block the unwanted stuff from polluting my system and its precious resources. 

But I still don't believe there is another option.

Posts 5396
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 2:26 AM

Thanks, Graham. I thought as much.

Honestly, how many different versions of the "Church Fathers" does a person need? I have at least 2-3 already, and Logos wants to bog me down with another set. I could go down the list of other unwanted stuff. It may mean something to others, but to me it is just endless indexing and clogging of my searches. I can't bear the thought of saying "yes" to all that. It's like saying "I do" and then ending up with a bed packed like a sardine can.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 33001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 2:33 AM

David Paul:
Honestly, how many different versions of the "Church Fathers" does a person need?

8 or 10? Depends upon who else creates interesting translations or critical editions ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2337
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 2:59 AM

Create collections and search those.  It's not a cure, but it is a mild pain reliever.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 5:50 AM

I agree, David. Of course, the continuing fascination with Libby might be a factor.  Libby was smart.

I actual don't buy when a package has too much stuff ... I just don't want stuff ever arriving on my PC. Hiding is not hiding. On the L7 extensions, I kept comparing, but the stuff was the big negative. I guess I have a couple more weeks to just say no.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 24915
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 5:59 AM

Denise:

. Hiding is not hiding.

Intrigued by what you mean by this?

Posts 29619
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 6:32 AM

Graham Criddle:

Denise:

. Hiding is not hiding.

Intrigued by what you mean by this?

I don't know what she means by this, but she's right! "Hiding"  books in Lagos actually archives the book license and removes it from your system. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 24915
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 6:37 AM

alabama24:
"Hiding"  books in Lagos actually archives the book license and removes it from your system. 

I know - and this would result in what David was asking for. 

They would no longer be indexed and wouldn't appear in searches. It doesn't address the issue of them being downloaded initially but it is a way to remove them.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 6:55 AM

I suspect David's issue and mine have the same solution, but not the same problem.

I'm guessing he simply doesn't need stuff that he doesn't need. Ergo, he faces the repeated process of carting it to 'Hide'.  It achieves nothing, clogging up his library. Just guessing.

For me, it's a more active dislike. Not dissimilar to trash-sites on the web ... you don't want anywhere near them. Ergo, resource Hiding is still quite visible. And sometimes a very bad memory. On Kindle, if I stupidly buy something that I detest, I can literally delete it from my account. 

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1108
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 7:00 AM

You know, one very interesting solution to this problem would be to allow one user to "gift" resources to another.  Sure - you'd get the second or third version of the church fathers, but you could give it to another user who doesn't already have it, and never have to see it again.  It would be transferred from your account to someone else's.

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 7:05 AM

I am very leery of hiding books from my library. I have changed my mind about some books that I have hidden and when I went to find them to unhide them, they had disappeared completely. Had to spend some time with the Logos tech people to find them again. I agree with Gao Lu, collections is the best way available (not the best way) to take care of library bloat.

Posts 249
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 9:15 AM

Lonnie Spencer:

I have changed my mind about some books that I have hidden and when I went to find them to unhide them, they had disappeared completely. Had to spend some time with the Logos tech people to find them again. 

This overturns everything I thought I knew about hiding books! It's such a pity Steve Clark's program doesn't work any more in Logos 7 because it's so easy to lose track of books in a big library. I hid books from my Logos 6 base packages . Even if they can't be found with the other hidden ones I would love to get the assurance that I won't lose the licences to them if (say) I go to buy  Logos 8 packages in a couple of years.  

Colin

Posts 24915
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 9:25 AM

Denise:
clogging up his library

Once hidden it shouldn't clog up libraries - it is removed from the disk

Denise:
On Kindle, if I stupidly buy something that I detest, I can literally delete it from my account. 

Within Logos, deleting it from your account would mean that it no longer was used in Dynamic Pricing calculations.

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 10:14 AM

Colin:

Lonnie Spencer:

I have changed my mind about some books that I have hidden and when I went to find them to unhide them, they had disappeared completely. Had to spend some time with the Logos tech people to find them again. 

This overturns everything I thought I knew about hiding books! It's such a pity Steve Clark's program doesn't work any more in Logos 7 because it's so easy to lose track of books in a big library. I hid books from my Logos 6 base packages . Even if they can't be found with the other hidden ones I would love to get the assurance that I won't lose the licences to them if (say) I go to buy  Logos 8 packages in a couple of years.  

Colin

Colin- If you are hiding a lot of books, I would keep a list on what you have hidden in a different location such as a Word document. I would not trust the list in the hidden resources to show all your books that are there. Not saying that the hidden resources list is not complete, but when I restored all of my books from the hidden resource, three of my books did not show up in my library and the hidden resource file was empty. Because I knew which books were missing, I was able to locate them and get them back in to my library because of  the help of the Faithlife tech people. All I'm saying is just be careful you don't loose any books by depending totally on the hidden resource list.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS