How do you use Logos? How can we improve it?

Page 1 of 5 (99 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 98 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 1826
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 23 2016 2:49 PM

We'd like to understand how you use Logos (the desktop version) and how you'd like to see us improve it to meet your Bible study needs better. Please help us help you by taking this 10-question survey.

Feel free to expand on your responses in this thread if you'd like.

Thanks for your help, and Merry Christmas!

Posts 3217
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 3:27 PM

Thanks, Phil, for offering this brief survey asking us how Logos can be improved.

I'd like to see FL tag resources by theology/denomination, so we don't have to resort to using complex collection rules or have to manually tag books, whenever our library is updated.

I'd like to see performance improvements, so layouts don't take 30 seconds or more to open. Right now, it's much quicker for me to open the Courses tool, and some related (Notes and Passage List) documents by hand, than to use a layout to open them for me.

Hope you get some good input to prioritize what is important!

On a somewhat related note, Logos is improved by bigger libraries, but the high cost of resources hinders me from expanding my libraries. Better pricing and sales would also improve Logos!

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 3:32 PM

Took the survey. I would love to see performance improvement, other programs are snappier in similar tasks that Logos does. I find it unusual that Logos is slower, since it seems to be the top bible software. I like Logos a lot and plan to use it, the Lord willing, for many years to come. I have invested a significant amount of money in this. I appreciate the functionality and capabilities of Logos. I also agree with the competitive pricing. 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 4:19 PM

Thanks for the survey. I'll expand on my #1 request: Make it faster in all sorts of ways. UI responsiveness mostly. Dropdowns, etc.

I'm continually frustrated by how Logos progressively gets slower in areas that used to work OK or where I used to complain about the slowness, and optimization was done which made it better temporarily. I've stepped away from active presence in the forums, since I feel like I have to keep putting so much effort into reporting issues to help you guys make Logos better (reporting bugs and performance issues), and I don't have time for that. A piece of software that requires me to put so much time into keeping it usable for me is a waste of my time. I'm using it less and less these days.

I also reported that I'd like to see improvements in the Library (as in more books). I used to regularly post requests for lists of books to be added to Logos, but seriously, every single time I look up a Christian book on Amazon that Logos doesn't have, Amazon suggests several other similar ones (often from known publishers that Faithlife already does business with) which also look great and which also aren't yet in Logos. I could seriously have a full time job making lists of books for Logos to add to their library that I might buy if they had them. I don't have time for that anymore. I will buy from Kindle because they are just there, right away, when the idea pops into my head to buy impulsively. You're missing out on lots of potential sales from people like me. But I just won't buy if it requires me posting a request to get such-and-such book, and months of waiting while you decide yeah let's do that one, and negotiate the rights for it, and put it into pre-pub and wait for enough order to come in and then produce it. And often it comes in a collection of other books I'm not interested in, so I'd have to wait until that is unbundled. By the time I can buy that book for Logos, I've forgotten I was interested in it.

Those are my two biggest complaints right now. I don't need more features. I only use a small fraction of the ones that are in Logos already.

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 4:45 PM

I'd like for things that get broken to be fixed. The pin drop on a map is a good example. We were told that it would be fixed over 3 months ago and it is still broken. It seems these things get swept under the rug too often.

See this thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/130406.aspx 

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 26479
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 4:49 PM

I'd like to see a somewhat different survey - one on what we need to move Logos into the general congregation.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 5:16 PM

Survey taken. My notes are there.

Merry Christmas, Phil.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2054
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 5:25 PM

The survey gave me hope to see items like "User Interface" and "Responsiveness."  It worried me to see the inevitable feature bloat trend, features that are often abandoned half done in order to move onto some new shiny thing.  I don't want to subscribe, to pay more to access "Now" these features I mostly don't want.    

1. I want the program to move when I want it to move, to be snappy when I need it to be.  
  2. To be able to perform as quickly as free software performs.
  3. To find what I am searching for even if I don't search perfectly.  

I don't want more gadgets and whirring devices.  Most I haven't even looked at more than once, some not at all.  I would not pay for those if I could help it.  I don't want the program I use most to have that doggy, iTunes feel.  I would 100X more rather have the program jump to attention simply and quickly than to have one more feature, dataset, dinnerbell, etc.

Rather than add more minute guides and templates, why not create a simplified interface that just performs.  Leave the fancy stuff available--I use it too, but only a small percent of the time.  Just don't let it bog down everything else. Mostly I use the main features like simple searches, arranging windows, finding menu items--and that should move f-a-s-t.  I wonder if that isn't true for most Logos users.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 5:49 PM

Rosie Perera:
Thanks for the survey. I'll expand on my #1 request: Make it faster in all sorts of ways. UI responsiveness mostly. Dropdowns, etc.

+1 Yes for user responsiveness.

Dreaming of Right Click revamp with significant responsiveness improvement. Slow to populate with lots of information choices from various datasets. Right click customization for left side section order would be awesome (instead of alphabetical). Right side option to choose dataset(s) for display would be helpful (similar to Guides where sections can be collapsed for faster response).

Dreaming of "Visual Filter" notification so know when Visual Filter highlighting is complete after opening a resource.

Dreaming of option to disable pop-up search assistant that slows down my typing of search words, especially when modifying visual filters. Please let me choose when would like search assistance. Have experienced a few times where search is complete that is followed by assistant pop-up with suggestion.

Copying a search tab has default of running search after tab is copied. Work around is clicking search icon to open a new tab.

Dreaming of "Preparing Library ..." notification expansion to include collection cache refresh. In an installation with hundreds of collections and 21,000+ resources, refreshing collection cache takes several minutes.

Dreaming of allowing user to use Logos and Verbum while sync is in progress. If sync encounters an error (especially timeout), then application becomes non-responsive (repeating often on OS X with work around of restarting Mac).

Dreaming of offline "Fuzzy Bible Search" subset

Personally amazed and Thankful for Logos 7 and Verbum 7 being usable on a 2009 model laptop running Windows 10 with an Intel Core2Duo 2.26 GHz P8400 with 8 GB Ram and two SATA III Solid State Disks (SSD).

Thankful for many datasets that can be used in Visual Filters for highlighting: e.g. Inductive - Precept.

Thankful for Rosie's reply and Phil starting this thread.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 321
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 6:00 PM

For me I don't need more features, more useless book collections (especially public domain), or doing exegesis from a few limited perspectives.  What I would like is a streamlined interface that allows me to do exegesis like I was trained.  What I would like is book collections geared to more contemporary theological streams of thought....liberation or political for example.  What I would like is a more manageable and useful collection management tool.  What I would like is a bible program instead of a sophisticated librarian.  Most of all I would like a useful tool that helps in my daily professional and spiritual life. 

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 6:27 PM

Faithlife has produced so many great tools, datasets, etc, which is awesome. I would like to see them dedicate a significant amount of time to going back through resources and upgrading the tagging to improve integration. Factbook alone as a tool has so much potential, but there are so many things that do not show up in it because resources are not tagged adequately. 

Posts 3217
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 6:56 PM

Matthew:

Faithlife has produced so many great tools, datasets, etc, which is awesome. I would like to see them dedicate a significant amount of time to going back through resources and upgrading the tagging to improve integration. Factbook alone as a tool has so much potential, but there are so many things that do not show up in it because resources are not tagged adequately. 

Yes I learned early on not to rely on Factbook, because many results would be missing from it.

Posts 172
Philip Bassham | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 8:32 PM

I would really like some custom internet search templates available in the guides. 

This would make it possible to set up to search any website, see Google images (which I use a lot), and something like Evernote for access to saved articles. As good as Logos is and all the books, often an article online is much more simple and quick. It's no use trying to replace or keep up with the internet, just gotta integrate it in if you want Logos to be comprehensive. 

That and responsiveness:)

Posts 26479
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 8:33 PM

PetahChristian:
I learned early on not to rely on Factbook, because many results would be missing from it.

I'm confused - Factbook is not intended to be complete but rather the top listing.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1103
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 8:53 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

We'd like to understand how you use Logos (the desktop version) and how you'd like to see us improve it to meet your Bible study needs better. Please help us help you by taking this 10-question survey.

Feel free to expand on your responses in this thread if you'd like.

I filled out the survey. I'll repeat my major comments.

First, I'm generally satisfied with Logos, though I know I only use a small fraction of its abilities and features. At this point I couldn't imagine working without it.

In terms of needed improvements: the lack of proper links and the hit-or-miss nature of them--you have absolutely no idea how good they will be in any given resource until you buy--this, in my mind, is by far the biggest problem with Logos. One could say it's chiefly in older resources, but that's not so; Aulen's Christus Victor, released this year, doesn't link to Harnack, which is a shame.

Program performance is also fairly poor; it hangs my system more than another application I run. I have noticed this particularly since the release of 7, which face it isn't much of an upgrade from 6. On the other hand, I have noticed a general slowdown in my system the last few months after a few large Win10 updates, so I'm not entirely sure this is all FL's fault.

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 2:07 AM

I like how Faithlife values user input. Thanks for giving us an option to voice our areas of interest and needs.

But I'm sad that there is still no category for translation or field work. Just looking at one specific Faithlife group for translators, it has 730 members. That is quite a significant number. There are people other than pastors or classroom teachers that use Logos on a regular basis. But so far Faithlife has never asked whether we use Logos for Bible translation, church planting (writing a Bible curriculum, teaching, preaching, discipling) in other languages etc. Logos has great tools for that. Tools that help distill the meaning of a passage and put it into another language. Tools to consider cultural background etc. But non of that really is Bible study, or teaching/preaching like in an american context.

Just a thought

Posts 2054
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 5:36 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

By the way, Thanks Phil and all FL team and Merry Christmas!

Posts 2762
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 7:22 AM

Survey taken! I'll emphasize one inclusion that would be different for Logos. The inclusion of guided mini lessons would be good, even for the most basic users. These lessons can be text based (no video production), free or less than $10 in cost, include a QA throughout, and be topical or book based.

Examples of this type of lesson can be found extensively on the internet and BSM.

Merry Christmas, Faithlife. Smile

EDIT: Here are a couple of random links for example I just picked on the internet.

http://www.ivpress.com/bible/study.php?study=486

http://www.biblestudylessons.com/mark/index.php

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 9:31 AM

Rosie Perera:

So great to see you back Rosie have a blessed Christmas and great new year.

-Dan

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 10:25 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Rosie Perera:

+1 Yes for user responsiveness.

Good to hear from you again Rosie. And I totally agree with your #1 request. It was mine as well.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 5 (99 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS