Playing around with clippings instead of notes, FWIW

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 200
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 14 2010 7:15 PM

I've been playing around with notes, clippings and favorites to do something like Mark Barnes shows in one of his videos for collecting or documenting sermon thoughts and research.  I've really wanted to have everything in one document, and as many have noted notes isn't that functional.  I've come up with a process that I like so far that uses a clipping file or document for the passage I'm studying.

• I open a new clipping document and name it the passage, e.g. Luke 15:11-32.
  • I open the Outline Bible, highlight the outline of the passage, and add it to the clipping file.
  • I then use the clipping and its note section to pose questions I want to ask the text and do further research on.
  • As I find useful information in my logos library or on the web, I add it to the clipping document and use the note section to add my own thoughts.
  • I have a section of Favorites called 'Passage Clippings', and I drag the clipping file there, putting it in canonical order.
  • I also tag the clippings.
  • I end up with clippings files arranged in canonical order with all my research for each passage in one document, and the whole thing is searchable.
  • The only thing it doesn't do is mark the passage in the Bibles with a notes box, but I've never found those to be all that useful for me anyway.

I'm sure there are lots of pitfalls with this approach, but so far it's working well for my needs.  I'd be interested in comments or ideas.  Maybe if the idea holds up I will learn to make a video. Smile

Dudley

Posts 26110
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 14 2010 9:15 PM

I don't see any problems ... the only thing I use the marking of the passage for is to mark my progress. With the "My Content" function, this has become less important. I think that a video is a great idea.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2733
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 14 2010 11:22 PM

Thank you Dudley for explaining your work process. I started to use clippings for exactly the same purpose and find it OK. I would like however to have some indication in the text (like we have for notes).

Bohuslav

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 2:04 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I would like however to have some indication in the text (like we have for notes)

Is it possible to make a note on the passage and then hyperlink it to the clipping? just wondering

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:44 AM

Dudley, between your suggestion (and Marks), I may have actually found something that works.

Thank you.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 200
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 8:01 AM

VladimirLukyanov:

Is it possible to make a note on the passage and then hyperlink it to the clipping? just wondering

I'm pretty sure it isn't, at this point at least.

Posts 200
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 8:02 AM

SteveF:

Dudley, between your suggestion (and Marks), I may have actually found something that works.

Thank you.

You're welcome!

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 8:08 AM

I was using clippings to collect information to answer questions I have regarding a text. However, I am now looking at Favorites more closely. I can create a favorite folder for a section of scripture and them put in it sub-folders. I name one 'questions' and instead of creating a clipping on a relevant text, I just drag to the favorites. Why use a clipping, putting the information there twice? However, if you wanted to add notes to the clipping, that is another thing altogether. I am really interested in hearing more ideas of work flow to find the best work flow.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 10:07 AM

Dewayne Davis:
I was using clippings to collect information to answer questions I have regarding a text. However, I am now looking at Favorites more closely. I can create a favorite folder for a section of scripture and them put in it sub-folders. I name one 'questions' and instead of creating a clipping on a relevant text, I just drag to the favorites. Why use a clipping, putting the information there twice? However, if you wanted to add notes to the clipping, that is another thing altogether. I am really interested in hearing more ideas of work flow to find the best work flow.

I tried this method with the MacArthur Study Bible. Hovering gave me a popup with the comments on a couple of verses, but opening the favorite opened the entire resource. That would tell me that clippings are better.

Posts 134
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 10:18 AM

Now Dudley this is good information and something I am going to try.  Not to be to naive but what specifically are you referring to when you say "Outline Bible?"

Posts 200
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 11:31 AM

Gene Britton:

what specifically are you referring to when you say "Outline Bible?"

It's The Outline Bible, a resource that I thought had been included in the regular collections, but it may well be the case that it came with an older purchase of books from Nelson.  Sorry if that's the case.  If it's not in your library, it's available at: http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/OUTLNBBL. You can also look it up on an online bookstore to see a description of the hard copy.

It outlines the whole Bible, and the actual passages are, of course, also hyper-linked.  What I have found useful is to highlight and clip the outline of the passage I am studying.  That gives me an outline summary, with Bible hyperlinks.  I can then do three things.  1) I can edit within the clipping itself (using a different font color to identify what I've added, if I wish).  2) I can add a note to the outline clipping (in the section that's available at the bottom of each clipping.  And 3) I can add additional clippings to the clipping file.

What I like about The Outline Bible for this purpose is that it's an easy way to get a passage summary (but with links to the actual verses at hand) in front of me and in a form that I can annotate.

Posts 134
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 12:33 PM

Thanks, I do not have that resource.  I will have to check it out.

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 12:53 PM

Dewayne Davis:

Dewayne, how do make subfolders in a Favorites folder?

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 1:13 PM

Make a "New Folder" and name it.

Make another "new folder" name it and then drag it over top of first folder. Second folder then "moves" into first folder.ie. is "nested."

Is this what you are asking?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 3:37 PM

Mark Watson:

Its like SteveF said. But if you want pictorial details see the wiki How do you nest a Folder within a Folder?

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:29 PM

steve clark:

Mark Watson:

Its like SteveF said. But if you want pictorial details see the wiki How do you nest a Folder within a Folder?

Thanks guys!  I was able to figure it out later in the evening after I imported my favorites from L3.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS