Any suggestions for searching Theological Journals?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:22 PM

Hi everyone.  I am writing because I hope you may be able to help me out.  I have L4 and the Theological Journals Library vols. 1-11.  Unfortunately, I have never found a very good way of searching for relevant articles in my journals.  I have created a collection that contains all of the journals I have.  I usually seach by a scripture reference, topic, or phrase.  I get plenty of results from my searches, but the problem is sifting through the results to find the articles that deal best with my passage or topic.

Do any of you know a better, more precise, way of searching theological journals?  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Posts 19635
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:37 PM

You can use the syntax heading:{text to search for} (don't include the curly brackets, and put phrases in quotes) to search for text that appears in article titles or headings within articles. I don't have the Theological Journals Library so I can't test it for sure to see whether that resource is tagged with headings, but Mark Smith said in this thread that the Galaxie journals do allow searching by heading, so I'll take his word for it.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:52 PM

Rosie Perera:
but Mark Smith said in this thread that the Galaxie journals do allow searching by heading

Yes they do. As far as I know the others that Logos and others have produced are not yet set up this way.

One thing to remember is that what is called a heading is not limited just to titles. It includes any subheadings that might include the search term(s). Unfortunately I've found that when you click on these sub-headings you are taken to the start of the article instead of to the exact place the subheading occurs. That's a bit of a nuisance but you can scroll until you find the heading or type in the page number given in the search findings.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:54 PM

Rosie:

Thank for your response.  I have tried the heading search as well.  It works great as long as you have a word, phrase, or reference that actually appears in the header.  Unfortunately, many times journal articles are titled in ways one would never guess concerning a topic or passage.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:59 PM

It sounds like what you are interested in is something that was available in Logos 3 called the Topic Browser. It is not available in Logos 4. It was big help for searching the journals. If you don't have Logos 3 on your computer you might want it there just for this single feature.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:10 PM

Mark:

Thanks.  I do still have Logos 3 installed.  I was just hoping that I could fully transition to L4.  I find that the journal searches I do in L4 either return too many results to weed through (Basic Search) or the search is too narrow (searching headings only).

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:12 PM

In the Suggestions forum put in another plea for full topical searching in Logos 4. You have pointed out why it is needed.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS