How to install Logos on a New System

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 23 2017 4:47 PM

I am bout to get a new system and want to make sure I ready. How do I install Logos on the new system along with my Now subscription?

Michael

Posts 902
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 23 2017 6:35 PM

I've seen Dave recommend Method 2 or 3 to avoid the download part of the process.  May want to look at that.

https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Posts 1808
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 23 2017 8:51 PM

I spoke with a higher tech last time.. none of those recommendations are really recommended, since you will need to re-index, he said.

But, idk.. I didn't try.

So its a bad news for people like me who has big library.

Posts 24354
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 23 2017 9:33 PM

mike:
I spoke with a higher tech last time.. none of those recommendations are really recommended, since you will need to re-index, he said.

The tech's remark is misleading/inaccurate. Both methods are predicated on you having a working system so that both will save you downloading resources.

Method 3 works with those (existing) resources but they have to be indexed after installation (by design).

Method 2 works with those resources and their index, but will usually require discovery; which usually precedes indexing and takes some time, but re-indexing is NOT needed.

I usually recommend Method 3 because it is simpler than Method 2.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 9753
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 23 2017 11:39 PM

Rev. Michael L. Burns:

I am bout to get a new system and want to make sure I ready. How do I install Logos on the new system along with my Now subscription?

Michael

Michael, 

in case download is not an issue, you may simply install Logos from scratch (installer is downloadable from the product pages of base packages you own, or the free engine). Indexing even a large library is not that much of an issue on a new system - I replaced my old Acer Extensa recently and the new Windows 10 machine just flies. Make sure you install Logos on an SSD drive.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 4547
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2017 2:23 AM

I am with NB on this Michael.

Whenever I have upgraded or added to my systems I have simply downloaded the engine and let everything else take its own course.

The only reason that I can think of for going the other routes is if you are living in a third world country whose infrastructure requires data caps. Here in the UK competition has driven such contracts almost out of existence for all but the cheapest plans for really light users.

The trick is to co-ordinate indexing with time in bed.

Posts 13064
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2017 2:57 AM

mike:

He's right in that Logos don't recommend those methods. They're unsupported.

But they do work. I last reinstalled Logos just a week or so ago, using these methods, and I didn't do any downloading or reindexing.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS