Is upgrading to a higher package necessary to be current?

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:48 AM

I currently own Silver 7 package. I see no need to buy into a Gold package. When Logos 8 become available, do I have to buy Gold to be current, or re-buy the Silver package to be current.

Another words, how can I be current and updated without buying a package? Smile

Posts 11649
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 2 2017 9:10 AM

Daniel Presley:
how can I be current and updated without buying a package?

Subscribe to Logos Now.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1101
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 2 2017 9:15 AM
Hello David This really kind of depends on what you mean by current. If current is just a having the "standard Silver" of Gold so.. then yes we could see it is necessary to upgrade for the new package each time but. I think we now get much more with the new "Logos Now" option because this way we have access to all of the newest features of the Logos software so that we get the most out of the "current library" that we have at what ever level. Over the past six years i have upgraded six times, I last had both reformed & standard Platinum L6, I now have "Logos Now & Logos 7 Standard Platinum. I am very happy with the Logos Now option because I think it gives all of us a way to get the most out of our Current Library. So to answer you I would say just get the "Logos Now" added to your account.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 2 2017 9:17 AM

In the past, libraries (books) were bundled with features (datasets, new tools, etc.). These have now been separated from each other. If you don't want more books but want to remain "current," you can always buy a "feature set" to get the latest features. As of this moment, here is the product you would have to buy to be "current":

https://www.logos.com/product/136012/logos-7-extended-feature-set

As was mentioned, you could alternatively subscribe to Logos Now. 

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 12:29 AM

Thanks Lee for the reply, I do appreciate it.

I'm not sure about going "Logos Now," I still prefer having everything local (on computer.) Sometimes I go places where there is no Internet connection, so it just seems more convenient to have everything on-board.

Thanks again for your reply.

God bless.

Dan

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 12:40 AM

Thanks for the reply Matthew.

Maybe thats the way I will go, getting the "feature set." I currently have 1100 books in my library including The Silver package. I also have the current feature set. I wasn't sure if the feature set was separate. So, all I need to do is buy the feature set as new programs/packages come out.

Sounds good to me.

Thanks for your time.

God bless.

Dan

Posts 24549
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 12:58 AM

Daniel Presley:
I'm not sure about going "Logos Now," I still prefer having everything local (on computer.) Sometimes I go places where there is no Internet connection, so it just seems more convenient to have everything on-board.

Many of the features you obtain with a Logos Now subscription are available offline - there are some, such as the Bible Browser, which require you to be online to use it whether you have obtained it through a Logos Now subscription or a feature set purchase.

Apologies if this was already clear.

Posts 24549
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 12:59 AM

Daniel Presley:
So, all I need to do is buy the feature set as new programs/packages come out.

We don't know whether Faithlife will continue to upgrade "purchasable" feature sets with new features as they are developed.

It would be good to get some clarification of that.

Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 4:11 AM

Daniel Presley:

For clarification: the tools that you acquire through "Logos Now" are downloaded and available offline unless they require an active internet connection... but this is identical to the ownership model. The features which require internet will still require internet if you purchase them. For example: Visual Copy is a feature which requires an internet connection. There is nothing unique about gaining this feature via LN over a "feature set"... except that LN will have MORE slide choices available. 

Is there something I am missing? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 4:20 AM

Graham Criddle:

Daniel Presley:
So, all I need to do is buy the feature set as new programs/packages come out.

We don't know whether Faithlife will continue to upgrade "purchasable" feature sets with new features as they are developed.

It would be good to get some clarification of that.

I don't think we will get more clarification than what we already have received. Bob is committed to the "buy" model as an option as long as there's still demand for it... On the other hand... more & more "features" are "services" which require Internet. It may be that we see those as unavailable to purchase... Or that the user could "own" a feature but have to pay something to use it. 

For example: FL was taken off guard by the demand for personal books. When we upload a book, they have to continue to pay for storage space. The model where "the software is always free" works fine, but not when the added services are free. 

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 10:42 AM

Thanks for the reply Alabama 24.

It seems by your statement, that the only thing I will lose, if I decide not to upgrade, would be the slides-is that correct? If that is the case, maybe I will wait longer between upgrades.

So, it seems that as time goes by, all will eventually be on "Logos Now?" For myself, I prefer the feature set. Something you just buy once-until the new one comes out-every 2 to 3 years.

Thanks for your time.

God bless

Dan

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reply Mr. Griddle.

It just seem more relaxed not being under the thumb of renting-it's like being in an apartment instead of a house.

I use to have Photoshop, but when they started the rental plan, I dropped them. I'm not sure what I will do if we're put on Logos Now-maybe just stay with 7 until I decide to make the jump, or keep using 7 until it doesn't work anymore. My motto is: If it's working, don't fix it.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

God bless.

Dan

Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 1:13 PM

Daniel Presley:
It seems by your statement, that the only thing I will lose, if I decide not to upgrade, would be the slides-is that correct?

Sorry, no. It seemed like you were saying that you don't like Logos Now because you don't want to be tied to the internet... but that isn't accurate. The slides thing was simply one example. If you use "visual copy," you need internet no matter how you acquired the visual copy feature. It is an "online only" feature if you buy or subscribe. "Logos Now" isn't an "online version of Logos." It is a membership program with many benefits

Daniel Presley:
I use to have Photoshop, but when they started the rental plan, I dropped them.

This isn't analogous, in my opinion. The software is free, but some of the features require a purchase and/or subscription. If you quit subscribing, you still have access to your library and many features... which isn't true with Adobe. Furthermore, LN is cheaper than the old model. Adobe Cloud is cheaper for some users (namely those who ALWAYS upgrade and buy MANY/ALL the apps), but more expensive for many others (those who don't always upgrade and use just 1 or 2 apps like me!). 

Let me run the most extreme numbers: A brand new user who wants to buy instead of using Logos Now. The Logos 7 Extended Feature Set is currently on sale for $693.21 (a $106.78 discount has been applied, which may disappear soon). A Logos Now membership is $99.99. A user who went this route would be able to have a LN membership for about 7 years. During those 7 years, the user will have continuous access to the "latest and greatest" features. Additionally, the LN member will have:

• A discount on new base packages (currently a 10% discount on top of other discounts). 
  • Access to the web app, allowing the user greater access to his/her library when away from home.
  • Monthly preview items
  • Free access to a rotating mobile ed course free of charge
  • Additional media (slides, maps, photos, etc.)
  • Next version features NOW (Logos 8 features slowly roll out and are made available to LN members)

The "7 years of Logos Now" doesn't even take into consideration the need to purchase a NEW feature set every 2 years to stay current.

For new users, it is very clear that LN is the better option. I don't know how to do the math for "old timers." I have an academic discount. In my case, it might be cheaper to purchase... I think if I didn't have the discount, it would cost me over $300, which would be 3 years of Logos Now.

I have some aversion to "renting" things... I buy my favorite music & movies... but I subscribe to netflix & amazon prime. 

I don't know what you should do, but if I were in your shoes, my choice would be 1) Logos Now OR 2) Nothing. If I want the new features, I will subscribe because it is cheaper. If I decide I can no longer afford to subscribe, I have saved money and still have access to my library. FWIW - I would not subscribe to books. Those I want to own. Smile

Posts 213
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 1:44 PM

You may want to sit back and take a more relaxed view of the options:  The short answer to your question is NO, it is not necessary, but it could be to your advantage depending on how you intend to use Logos in the future.

• You have a good library and some features - the least expensive and a perfectly viable option is to do nothing except collect the free Logos 7 engine (core software) upgrade when that is available free (usually a few months after its initial release to customers buying upgrades.)
  • Think of the new packages under the various traditions as just bundles of extra books at a good discount that you may or may not think are worth the discounted bundle price (almost everyone with a good older package will have some of the books in a new package and you will get an additional discount from the "regular" price based on credit for what you already own as a fraction of that specific bundle. The grades of the new packages (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc.) think of as just relating to the number and type of books in the new bundles they do not really relate to the grade of package you bought earlier, they are just a new offering at a discount. The biggest "difficulty: is in deciding which (if any) new bundle (new package) gives you personally the best value for the books that you want of those contained in the bundle (everyone will likely think some of what is included in a specific bundle to be unwanted "fluff", but that is something we all have to live with and just a part of the way that publishers choose to be able to offer bundles at large discounts.
  • Additional "Feature Sets" are now offered as a "for purchase" option (because they cost money to develop and not everyone wants all of them, and ultimately it is cleaner to have those that want them (at whichever level of feature set) pay for what they want rather than everyone pay for everything as part of an overall "package" including their books. The new features offer great advances for use of the software and resources that come with some of the newer packages. But not everyone wants to use the software that way, they are content with what they had with earlier versions, and that is fine too. If you decide you want one of the new feature sets, bear in mind that the cost of a new book package bought at the same time will be lower than the books and features purchased separately in different transactions (for some that MIGHT make the difference tip in favor of getting one of the new book packages because of the extra discount when bought with a feature set.
  • Logos Now is a separate concept altogether, It (presumably) helps fund and provides access to newer features as they get developed (before general release in new (future) packages. Logos Now also provides additional options and opportunities that some people like and others do not need, like an additional set of books/ resources/ mobile ed courses on sale each month for Logos Now members only, temporary one month licences each month for a trial preview of selected books or sets of books, and (best of all for those looking to buy one of the larger new packages), an extra discount on upgrading to a new package and feature set. A Logos Now subscription may pay for itself IF you intend to spend a significant amount on one or more new book/resource packages and a new feature set AND you buy a Logos Now subscription BEFORE you but the new package(s) and feature set(s).  If you have a Logos Now subscription you get the new full feature set on a temporary licence valid while you continue your subscription.  I have likely missed something trying to summarize what Logos Now is about so best take another detailed look for yourself https://www.logos.com/now 
  • Logos Cloud (perhaps you were confusing this with Logos Now?) Everything in previous bullets can download to your desktop or laptop computer and only a few features and the Mobile ed courses need an internet connection. Logos Cloud is the rental option where a monthly subscription is required and  where you do indeed need an internet connection and get only temporary licences while you subscribe.  This sounds like the one that you do NOT want, especially if you travel where internet access is not good or if you have poor (unreliable/intermittent) internet access where you live (and/or if you already have a large library containing what you need) .   https://logoscloud.com/ 
  • I am sure other users will correct any of the above where I am mistaken
Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 4:00 PM

Thanks for the reply Alabama 24.

You gave me a lot of ammo to maul over.

I started the library with "Libronix," and then Logos 4 up through 7. Currently I'm 70, and been retired, so I don't see myself going to Seminary, unless God changes that?

I do like to study/read a lot, therefore, Logos works miracles for me. I enjoy studying in depth and I get that from Logos. It's nice to know that all my basic features will be around for awhile. I rarely use the Internet, I primarily search from within the program.

You said:  "I don't know how to do the math for "old timers." "

Would that be the consideration of the books and feature bought over the years?

Thanks for your time.

God bless.

Dan

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 4:10 PM

Thanks for the reply Wilson.

I made a copy of your reply and intend to read it later.

But thanks for your time God bless.

Dan

Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 4:15 PM

Daniel Presley:

You said:  "I don't know how to do the math for "old timers." "

Would that be the consideration of the books and feature bought over the years?

That would be the features already purchased, not the books. If you are curious about the math, click HERE and tell us the price you see. As others have mentioned, previous to L7, Faithlife sold "base packages" which included both books (resources) and features (data sets). With the introduction of Logos Now and L7, Faithlife has separated those and now sells libraries (books/resources) and feature sets (features/data sets). 

Interestingly: Faithlife received some flack at the launch of L7 because it wasn't clear to the purchasers of the libraries that they would need to either purchase a "feature set" or subscribe to "Logos Now." They now have a system in place so that it is more clear at the time of purchase:

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 5:57 PM

Daniel ... coincidentally, you appear to be similar to me:

- I'm offline, except to buy books or update the software. I don't have any need for the online-only features: Bible Browser or concordance or web lookups (manuscripts, etc). There's others but they're even less needed.

- I don't propose to rent, and then after several years repeat the spend, in order to not keep renting. I view that as crazy (for me).

- I buy the 'full feature set' every 2 years ... so far, it has things I use, but no need to rent first.

The exception to the above logic is if you like to buy book-packages ... Now includes discounts, so it's like you're buying discount coupons, that only work, if you spend more money.  For me, again, crazy.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2017 6:19 PM

Thanks for the reply Denise.

If you buy every two years, do they offer a discount for the feature-set? Would Logo still function in the research features if you never upgrade? Not sure if I would go that way, but I'm Just asking.

Thanks for your time Denise.

God Bless

Dan

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 7:21 AM

You're right, Daniel ... the Now discount on the crossgrade (Full Features, and extended etc.).  If I remember right, it was a net in favor of the customer. So, in theory, the hypothetical me would sign for Now, if the every-other-year full-feature had something. Of course, if I skipped a Now/feature-purchase, the equation fails (since feature purchases are cumulative).

Regarding your question, the reaearch features would work relative to the point in time of purchase, plus error corrections. Meaning, any new functionality (maybe OT after you purchased NT features) would be a new purchase. Strictly me and no offense to Faithlife, but most of their new research features are somewhere between bad-theology (the feature assumes a theology), and Bible-class pablum (simplistic). The last full-feature last year, I wanted the DSS and latin interlinears; nothing else.

But this wordiness (mine) illustrates the frustration of Catherine on the other extended feature thread. Faithlife intensionally confuses. I used to think they were just marketing incompetent. But the incompetence is so consistent. You have to be pretty good, to be consistently confusing.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS