Is upgrading to a higher package necessary to be current?

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 11:43 AM

NB.Mick:

Daniel Presley:
how can I be current and updated without buying a package?

Subscribe to Logos Now.

Can I just add a comment to this.

This seems to have become the boiler plate response, and I think that's unfair.  Not everyone wants to purchase a subscription. 

I'm not harping on you Daniel...it just seems that Logos Now is getting pushed ad nauseum and has become the response for practically every question regarding resources, libraries, data sets, etc., etc.

Sorry...I think I've just read this response once too many!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 29253
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 11:50 AM

Cynthia in Florida:

This seems to have become the boiler plate response, and I think that's unfair.  Not everyone wants to purchase a subscription. 

???

There is NO other answer to that question!

If you want to stay current and not BUY, then you subscribe. If you want to stay current and not SUBSCRIBE, you buy! There are no other options If you want to "stay current."

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 3:16 PM

Alabama ... are you sure you read the OP's question? He mentioned buy 'packages'. Which leaves 2 choices.

'Now', maybe I misunderstood him.  

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 3:23 PM

Alabama, 

This whole thread is about being "current".  I am not even sure we all know what that means definitively and agreeably and there is the question, then, of what are the advantages and disadvantages of being or not being "current"?  I have full features to Logos 7 but I am being told whenever I open Logos and check that I need to purchase a package.  Why isn't full features some kind of a package?  And if not, does this mean I am not "current"?  And I ask myself if Logos is working the way I need it to then being "current" may be unimportant to me.  It works!!!  Features crossgrade as Denise espouses, seems to be the way that makes most sense for me in the future.

Posts 29253
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 4:28 PM

Denise:
Alabama ... are you sure you read the OP's question?

I have already responded to Daniel. Here I was responding to Cynthia. If someone doesn't want to subscribe OR buy, they can simply update the engine for free. 

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 4:37 PM

Thank you!

Posts 29253
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 4:39 PM

Juanita:
I am being told whenever I open Logos and check that I need to purchase a package

You mean when you check the "about" menu? If so, I don't know why you would be checking that every time you open Logos. I only open it when I need to verify the engine I am running. 

Juanita:
Why isn't full features some kind of a package?

Features aren't in "packages" but in "feature sets" or "Logos Now." The only way to gain access to new features as soon as they become available is to have a LN membership. I understand that some people are adverse to memberships, and that is ok. 

Juanita:
I ask myself if Logos is working the way I need it to then being "current" may be unimportant to me.  It works!!!

That is what everyone should do. If you don't need the new features, don't pay for them! If they are a benefit to you, then you need to decide what works best for you. Since I am not afraid of losing any of the datasets, the cheapest route works best for me, which is a LN membership. 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 4:41 PM

In which case, I agree with Cynthia (and the quote she was using).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 4:58 PM

alabama24:

Juanita:
I ask myself if Logos is working the way I need it to then being "current" may be unimportant to me.  It works!!!

That is what everyone should do. If you don't need the new features, don't pay for them! If they are a benefit to you, then you need to decide what works best for you. Since I am not afraid of losing any of the datasets, the cheapest route works best for me, which is a LN membership. 

. My conclusion is I do not need to be current.  Thank you, Alabama.

Posts 29253
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 5:09 PM

Juanita:
My conclusion is I do not need to be current.  Thank you, Alabama.

And there is nothing wrong with that! Smile

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2017 8:24 PM

Alabama 24,

After reading all these helpful replies, the question I should have asked is this: If I do not subscribe to LN, do not buy a package, or do not buy a feature-set, will my current Silver 7 package, with the current feature-set that I have, keep on working for the next several years as it does now? Or, will I start losing some of the functions of my current feature-set as time passes?

Thanks for your time and patients.

God bless

Dan

Posts 29253
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2017 4:53 AM

In which case, you don't need to purchase anything. You should, however, keep your engine up to date. For those who did not purchase or subscribe to anything, the L7 engine will be available free of cost later this month. As always, the software is free but you pay for the resources and datasets. When a new, major release comes ou, FL allows those buying or subscribing first dibs... which is good because FL needs to monitize their efforts to keep developing. 

I am sure that Mick misunderstood your question, as I certainly did. 

Posts 9556
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2017 4:54 AM

Daniel Presley:
If I do not subscribe to LN, do not buy a package, or do not buy a feature-set, will my current Silver 7 package, with the current feature-set that I have, keep on working for the next several years as it does now? Or, will I start losing some of the functions of my current feature-set as time passes?

My understanding is that you will not lose any features or datasets that you own.

You may find reading Dave Hooton's response in another thread below helpful. It's discussing this same topic in the context of what happens if you upgrade to the free core engine.

Dave Hooton:
The 'Logos 7 core engine' is a (free) product and people are wanting to know what IT may include or not include. It is basically the software so you won't lose any features/datasets that you own, whether purchased with Logos 3 or Logos 4/5/6. They will continue to work, albeit with a changed interface e.g. Logos 4 Biblical Places, Biblical Maps & Biblical People were integrated into Bible Facts in Logos 5 and Events was added. It then became Factbook in Logos 6 with extra datasets available.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2017 12:21 PM

Thanks for the reply alabama 24.

I want to thank you again for your help and patience.

God bless

Dan

Posts 69
Daniel Presley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2017 12:29 PM

Thanks for your reply Dunning.

I'll check out the information that you have given me.

Thanks for your time.

( By-the-way, I apologize for the confusing question that I initially started with. Thanks again for everyone's help on sorting through this matter.)

God bless

Dan 

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS