Personal Book Builder

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 10 2017 4:10 PM

Say, does anyone know  how I could go about deleting a handful of personal books that I attempted to build back in 2012 and no longer work?

Posts 2262
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 5:00 PM

Everyone has their personal strategy, I suppose, but my preferred method is to make new books over the top of old ones.  Update the information, add a different book, rebuild it so it syncs to other computers and voila!  All is well in the world.

Posts 25736
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 11:57 PM

Derek Browning:
does anyone know  how I could go about deleting a handful of personal books

If you don't have new books to overlay these:-

• delete from Personal Books tool
  • hide the book in Library
  • if the book was Uploaded leave it AS Is, else unhide the book

If you unhide a book and it is re-downloaded then you know to leave it hidden!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 14
Steven Long | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 4:36 PM

I'm just wondering if anyone at Logos can answer why they only accept docx formats for the PB's?

It just seems to make good sense to allow other popular formats. I would also love if Logos would allow us to import pics into our notes files. 

Posts 28358
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 6:25 PM

Steven Long:

I'm just wondering if anyone at Logos can answer why they only accept docx formats for the PB's?

It just seems to make good sense to allow other popular formats. I would also love if Logos would allow us to import pics into our notes files. 

Sure! FL doesn't "allow" .docx files, but rather .docx files are converted into their system. In other words, your Logos library doesn't natively read those files. 

Why can't you easily import Kindle or other books? Simple: It doesn't work in their economic favor. Faithlife doesn't make money selling a library software system. Indeed, they give it away free. Faithlife makes money from you purchasing resources from them. Why would they make it easy for you to buy from the competition and use their (free) software? In fact, the personal book builder is being used by many (including me) for a reason never intended: To import books from other sources. That is also why FL backed out of development of personal books on mobile. The personal book builder was always meant to import your own material. Which you wrote. Which presumably would have been written using the most popular word processor format (.docx).

Does that clarify a bit? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 341
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 7:55 PM

I can't speak for Logos, but from my personal perspective a few more (practical) reasons why I think, it was actually a very good idea to use docx as the import format:

• most people already own Microsoft Word, if they don't, they can use free Open/Libre Office or probably most other word processing software.
  • There needs to be a way for us to easily add tagging to make personal books usable in Logos. At the same time, you want to keep formatting intact. Word seems to be the best choice to do that.
  • One format you might be thinking of are ebook formats like epub, mobi and azw. You would need specialized software to be able to add tagging to that (or be comfortable in editing HTML type language).
  • Another format you might be thinking of is PDF. It would be a nightmare for Logos to make PDFs usable like other books inside the software (and it would be very hard for you to add tagging). I think it was a good decision by Logos to put the burden on you to convert the book to docx
  • Most ebooks bought from commercial stores (Amazon, etc.) come with DRM (encryption that makes sure, that only you can open the book). There wouldn't be a way for Logos to allow you to open those books in Logos. Now, there are ways for you around that while converting the book to docx, but the legality of that is not completely clear and might vary by the country you live in.
  • There are different ways to convert other formats to docx. Calibre is a superb piece of software to do that (and much more). Converting from non-DRM epubs is very quick and pain free. If you are converting from PDF, you almost always have to manually clean up the file, but depending on your original file, the result might be horrendous.
Posts 1
Mike Colburn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 4:39 AM

You just need to right-click on the personal book you want to delete and the "delete" option should appear! (This is done inside of the Personal Books tool)

Posts 2575
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 5:08 AM

Derek Browning:

Say, does anyone know  how I could go about deleting a handful of personal books that I attempted to build back in 2012 and no longer work?

review this:  https://community.logos.com/forums/p/179680/1039513.aspx#1039513     

As stated above overwriting them works.  

Posts 10952
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 6:51 AM

Bernhard:
Another format you might be thinking of is PDF. It would be a nightmare for Logos to make PDFs usable like other books inside the software

Recognizing this is an older thread. But the functionality to search off-software documents isn't hard. In my Bible software for my money-bags user (me), I allow searching raw text, RTFs, doc/docx's, and PDFs. I also include readers, and the ability to link from notes (avoids a lot of duplication).

The primary issue is royalties/security. But the payback is significant (according to my user).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS