Logos on my new computer: How long does it take to start up?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 16 2017 4:46 AM

I just wanted to post about my new computer and how fast Logos runs on it. This might be helpful for others who are looking to upgrade their computers.

I purchased a Dell XPS 8910 which came with 1T HDD, 16G Ram, and i7 6700 3.40GHz processor.

I added a ScanDisk Ultra II SSD 480G and 16B of Ram (2400MHz).

Both the Widows operating system and Logos are on the SSD.

My Logos library has 22,594 resources.

After downloading and indexing Logos, as well as other apps, I shut down the computer and then I timed the start up and launch of Logos. From start to when Logos opened up and I was able to start using it (I had a layout auto load in Logos) was 1min. 6sec.

For me that is a huge difference.

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 7:43 AM

It still astonishing that it takes a program on that kind of hardware to a full minute to launch. Come on Logos. You have to fix this. It really hurts you in competition with other Bible software that runs so much faster.

OK I will now accept the barrage of criticism. Big Smile

Posts 1340
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 7:50 AM

I totally agree with you, Kevin. I've already given up on trying to upgrade my hardware just so Logos can run faster. It's a futile effort. Perhaps it is a Windows problem, but I think I'm hearing Logos on Mac isn't that much faster either.

James, I was expecting your startup time to be less than 20 seconds. Did you include the Windows startup time in your timing? From your wording I couldn't quite tell whether you're pleased or displeased about this "huge difference" in startup time.

Peter

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 7:53 AM

PL:
James, I was expecting your startup time to be less than 20 seconds. Did you include the Windows startup time in your timing? From your wording I couldn't quite tell whether you're pleased or displeased about this "huge difference" in startup time.

Yes - it would be good to understand this.

And, on a much lower-speced system although with a smaller library, I am getting sub-20 second startup times.

James - if the 1min plus is just for Logos it would be good to see logs of Logos starting up to try and determine what is happening.

Posts 76
martin lohstroh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 7:59 AM

11 sec with 9957 resources. 

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 8:02 AM

I'm sorry. The total time of starting Windows and then starting Logos was 1min 6 sec. I'll post just the start Logos.

Posts 1391
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 8:03 AM

James C.:

After downloading and indexing Logos, as well as other apps, I shut down the computer and then I timed the start up and launch of Logos. From start to when Logos opened up and I was able to start using it (I had a layout auto load in Logos) was 1min. 6sec.

I'm running a lower spec'd laptop than what you have and it took a total of just 40 seconds to cold-boot the laptop, start Logos, and have it open to my layout.  One big difference though is in our library sizes (only 3,045 resources for me VS 22,594 for you) and I wonder if that's a factor.  Layout complexity may also be a significant factor as I rarely have more than 8 to 10 tabs in play at a time.

Posts 64
Eric Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 8:07 AM

I am running comparable(with 2.6Ghz) and it is less than 30 seconds.  One thing I noticed can really take up time is how good or bad your network connection is.  Also, the load on the Faithlife servers at that time of day can impact the startup time.

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 8:16 AM

Here is a video of Logos starting up. It takes about 19sec. with Windows already opened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsX-qIIR7e4

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 8:20 AM

James C.:
Here is a video of Logos starting up. It takes about 19sec. with Windows already opened.

That's about what I would have expected. Thanks James

Posts 1391
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 8:29 AM

James C.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsX-qIIR7e4

The layout I used was very comparable and it took Logos 16 seconds to finish the startup/open process "after" doing a cold boot of the laptop.  So considering the difference in our library sizes and possible other factors such as background programs, your startup time seems on par. Smile

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 1:07 PM

There's an enormous variability in startup to layout. I typically have a layout for a parashah which means I'm pulling resources and guides for more than a chapter from the Pentateuch at one time. It's never particularly fast, but It's way quicker than it used to be with Logos 4! 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2017 3:08 PM

James C.:

I just wanted to post about my new computer and how fast Logos runs on it. This might be helpful for others who are looking to upgrade their computers.

I purchased a Dell XPS 8910 which came with 1T HDD, 16G Ram, and i7 6700 3.40GHz processor.

I added a ScanDisk Ultra II SSD 480G and 16B of Ram (2400MHz).

Both the Widows operating system and Logos are on the SSD.

For me that is a huge difference.

Interesting.  My Logos library has just over 7,500 resources, and my computer is a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, with 8 GB of Ram and an i7 processor, but not the newest i7, and the 500 GB SSD.   Logos 7 loads up and is ready to roll in 21 seconds.  And that is with a number of Bibles, lectionaries, commentaries, and Passage Guide open.  Had this Surface pro for over two years and love it!

Of course, the size of you library is much bigger than mine, and that may account for some of the difference.  If the reviews are good when it comes out this spring, I may upgrade to the Surface Pro 5.  Then again, I may not.   I skipped the Surface Pro 4 because I was totally happy with what I have.

Oh, I misunderstood you.  I was just reporting only the Logos start up time for my Surface Pro 3.  With my Surface Pro turned off, to start my computer, sign in my computer  password, start Logos 7, and have it fully load three windows with Passage Guide, 3 search tabs, 4 Bibles, BDAG, FAITHLIFE STUDY BIBLE, and unintentionally the Tim Keller Sermon Library took 48.6 seconds to be ready to roll.  I forgot Keller and two of the search windows were open.  They normally would not be at startup.

I reset my layout to my standard Logos 7 layout, which is three windows with Passage Guide and search tabs open in the first window, four Bibles in the second window, BDAG and Faithlife Study Bible in the third window.  AFTER startup of the computer, my Surface Pro 3 opened Logos 7 and was ready of roll in 16 seconds.  Layout made a difference, saving me 5 seconds, which I will use wisely.Big Smile

I really don't think that Logos 7 is particularly slow in starting, even on a two year old tablet computer.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 8:06 AM

This thread is interesting to read to compare my slower setup. I'm just really pleased that Faithlife improved layouts by eliminating old ones as this has sped up my load times considerably.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3148
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 4:10 PM

Bruce probably remembers Bradley talking about this when he was having problems with his Layouts menu (though I don't recall to what degree they were causing his particular problem), but if one has many and/or poorly constructed collections, this can increase the time it takes to open Logos. Here's Bradley's comment on the topic. 

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 6:35 PM

Tommy Ball:

Bruce probably remembers Bradley talking about this when he was having problems with his Layouts menu (though I don't recall to what degree they were causing his particular problem), but if one has many and/or poorly constructed collections, this can increase the time it takes to open Logos. Here's Bradley's comment on the topic. 

How could I forget? I'm very thankful for the update that changed how layouts were saved so that all of my older layouts were deleted as they were greatly slowing loading time. Things are much better now. Thank you!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS