Logos 7 is Really Slow on my Laptop!

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4958
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 18 2017 1:11 AM

Barron1961:

My laptop is about two or three years old.  By comparison to my last computer which I had for 11 years this one is fairly new.

Even at two or three years ago you were seriously ill advised when choosing a computer to run logos. At that time the forums were awash with suggestions for SSDs and the 'desirable' amount of RAM.

Barron1961:
 I would not even know how to go about upgrading it. I would probably need to take it to a computer shop for that.

No children then? How about nephews or nieces?  Wink

Seriously there are a number of online videos showing how both upgrades are carried out. 'Crucial' and 'MrMemory' will also supply instructions to go along with their 'guaranteed' upgrade units.

Give it a go.

Posts 28728
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 18 2017 4:06 AM

Daniel Radke:
Just to add to the testimony of others, in my experience upgrading RAM and switching to a SSD hard drive are the two most important hardware changes to make Logos run significantly faster.

Daniel Radke:
This past January I upgraded from a 2009 PC laptop with 4 GB RAM and a 7200 rpm hard drive to a 2012 MacBook Pro with 16 GB RAM and a SSD hard drive.

I agree with your basic premise, but your case has more holes than swiss cheese! Stick out tongue You didn't just update your RAM & SSD... you updated everything! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 212
Daniel Radke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 20 2017 12:08 AM

alabama24:

I agree with your basic premise, but your case has more holes than swiss cheese! Stick out tongue You didn't just update your RAM & SSD... you updated everything! 

Yes, that is true. I suppose the upgrade in processor made a big difference too. But, of course, most new components do not affect Logos performance Smile

eChristianResources.com - Connecting Christians With Quality Evangelical Resources Available For FREE On The Internet (including links to free Logos/Vyrso resources!)

Posts 28728
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 20 2017 7:18 AM

Daniel Radke:
most new components do not affect Logos performance

...maybe, maybe not. Consider this: "8 GB Ram" from 6 years ago ≠ "8 GB Ram" today. The speed of the ram is important too... but that isn't something that someone can change on a preexisting computer. Not only does your computer have better specs in terms of ram & drive generically, but the ability of those components to communicate with one another is much faster now too. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8
James Logan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 3:29 AM

Dont "Upgrade" Just buy new. im a techy so Ill help you with you need. 

after reading your comments and others comments I have come to the conclusion that price range would be relatively lower for you, and you would benefit at the same time. 

If you can find a laptop with an i7 processor (quad core) and 8 gb of DDR3 RAM that's all you would really need.   let me explain what would happen..  

People say to upgrade to just 8 GB of ram however your laptop processor is probably a duo core, and it wont be able to run the 8 gb evenly anyways, so what you need to do is get a new machine, if you upgrade your processor, your ram would be slow. 

I suggest a i5 7th Generation  -i7 7th generation with 8-12 GB of ram, 1TB of HDD with a added 128 - 250 SSD  how ever the SSD is not needed really for logos in this case..  this type of computer can be bought brand new from best buy for roughly $500 - $799 CND 

Id say you issue is not your hard drive but your processor!  If you have Logos open, and an internet browser with multiple tabs, and any kind of Microsoft programs open all at once will make your logos slow.  Your duo core processor can not handle all that at once.  

Posts 8
James Logan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 3:34 AM

alabama24:
The speed of the ram is important too... but that isn't something that someone can change on a preexisting computer.

this is not true, as most laptops come with 2 Ram slots, you are able to upgrade the ram.  However, if your model is older it might not be compatible or able to hold as much ram or a set ram type such as DDR4 or GDDR5 ram.   some laptops have only the ability to upgrade to a set amount of ram.  

That being said, if you have 2 slots for ram, and you up grade from 4 to 6 gb and you use a 2 gb ram in 1 slot and a 4 gb ram in the other slot, this will actually make your laptop slower as you will be grabing from the 2 GB ram slot.. 

when upgrading make sure to keep it even. 

Posts 4958
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 9:41 AM

New Year Greetings James,

It is great when folk come on the forum and offer valuable help - thank you for taking the trouble.

However you might have missed the fact that the last post on this subject before your own contributions was back in July?

The OP (original poster) has not responded since that time so I guess they have sorted their problems.

Posts 67
JessicaL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 3:54 PM

Actually, I still have the same laptop that I had when I made the original post. I haven’t had the money to upgrade my computer or I would have tried the other suggestions by now. Maybe it’s better that I have not been able to try them yet. Sounds like I might have been left with the same problem I started with.

when I get enough money I have pretty much decided to try my luck with one of the Mac family of computers. My sister did that and now says she won’t go back to a PC. I have heard that from a lot of former PC users. 

I don’t really know. What do folks around think about it? Anyone here switched the othe way from Mac to PC? 

For now, I just make sure everything is closed before opening Logos 7. The only things running in the background are Malwarebytes and Norton Security Suite.

Posts 4958
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 2 2018 1:32 AM

Hi Barron

I am ''Apple' to the core. Wink

I made the move about 12 years ago because I spent a disproportionate amount of time 'fixing' my system and my system spent a disproportionate amount of time protecting itself against malware of various descriptions.

As a rule of thumb when I advise people I tell them that if they want full control unlimited access to upgrades and rebuilds then Windows (or Unix) is the system for them. That is providing they are going to use the control and actually do the upgrades or rebuilds.

If, on the other hand, they want to switch on a computer and start work then they should consider the Apple family of computers. Now you do have to put your trust in Apple. You upgrade the operating system when they tell you and you use (mostly) programs that they certify. That understood you now just switch on and work.

Not only that but your iPhone and iPad increase in capability due to the shared nature of a lot of the applications. eg Contacts, Reminders, Messages etc.

I used to be a system fiddler but now I am a system user and Apple suits me very well.

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 2 2018 4:53 AM

Barron1961:
I don’t really know. What do folks around think about it? Anyone here switched the othe way from Mac to PC?

There are pros and cons to the Mac/PC choice:

Mac strengths:

• Limited choice of hardware makes it easier to choose something suitable.
  • The Operating System tends to be a bit more stable, although the gap is nowhere near as big as it used to be.
  • After-sales support is superior, particularly if you live near an Apple Store.
  • High-quality design and manufacture across the entire range.
  • Great integration with iPhones and iPads.

PC strengths:

• There are low-priced options if you're on a budget (although you get what you pay for).
  • Mid-range PCs are much better value than mid-range Macs.
  • There's a much wider choice of software if you have specific needs.
  • With desktop PCs, you can specify hardware requirements much more precisely.
  • You can custom build, which can save a lot of money, particularly at the very high end.
  • There's no learning curve if you stick with Windows.
  • You can use a high-end PC for gaming.

I therefore recommend PC if some/all of the following are true:

• You've got a long investment in Windows software.
  • You don't have a large budget.
  • You need specific software that's not available on a Mac.
  • You have the expertise to know you have very specific hardware requirements.
  • You're happy with mid-range performance.
  • You, or someone in your family, is a gamer.
  • You have very high hardware requirements, but not a very high-end budget.

I recommend a Mac if some/all of the following are true:

• You're a PC beginner so don't have much to unlearn or re-buy, and/or you dislike Windows.
  • You're looking for a powerful, high-quality machine and are happy to pay the premium that requires.
  • You and your family use iPads and/or iPhones.
Posts 18674
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 2 2018 6:59 AM

Thankful Logos and Verbum behave nearly the same on macOS and Windows so switching platforms is easy. My screen shots for forum discussions typically leave out operating system visual differences.

Apple's macOS includes items that need additional software on Windows: e.g.

• PDF Editor: Preview is poorly named
  • System Narrator has many voice options, which include country accents
  • Productivity: Pages, Numbers, Keynote (while Microsoft Office can be purchased/rented)
  • Start up Mac from an external drive (holding option during power on causes bootable device list)

Apple's macOS lacks bloatware installed by many Windows computer manufacturers. 

Apple security updates are prudent to install: macOS security => https://www.apple.com/macos/security/ includes sandboxing and runtime protections. Personally have an admin account for installing Apple updates and applications (have disabled Chrome automatic update for all users since mechanism could install other stuff).

Apple describes macOS => https://www.apple.com/macos/what-is/ that includes iCould integration with iOS apps.

Thankful Apple supports Mac hardware with free macOS upgrades for many years. Caveat: a family member upgraded a 2011 Mac mini to macOS 10.13 High Sierra that was followed by trouble using Mail: black text on black background is hard to read. Changing display profile or calibration is needed for Intel HD Graphics 3000. When needed to upgrade my 2011 MacBook Air from OS X 10.10 Yosemite for Logos 7.12, choose macOS 10.12 Sierra since want to use Mail without hassle.

For purchasing Mac and Windows, personally prefer refurbished (for better value). Apple refurbished Mac's => https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac have the same warranty as new plus nothing is placed on Mac to indicate refurbished. Dell refurbished computers have a sticker on the computer. Microcenter has refurbished computer deals for Windows and Mac (prudent to know hardware specifications).

Concur PC hardware typically has lower price for acquisition. At times, some Mac models are price competitive.

Upgrading from one Mac to another is easier than Windows. One option is Apple's Disk Utility that can copy from one storage partition to another. Also Disk Utility can create an image from one Mac that can be restored on another Mac. Apple's Time Machine is another option for upgrading Mac hardware. In contrast, Windows has piracy checks using hardware identifiers so upgrading too many components requires activation.

Irony for Windows unlearning is ongoing result of Apple's look and feel lawsuit => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corp. so Microsoft tweaks their user interface/interaction more often.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS