How to find all the Imperatives in OT?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 22 2017 10:32 AM

Hello! Long time reader of the forums but I find I am now getting deeper into trying to use the morphology tools. Unfortunately my Hebrew is rusty from seminary!

How would I search for all the imperatives in the OT where:   {Speaker <Person God>}

I recall that imperatives can be in the Qal or other verb tenses, but after searching through my Hebrew grammars I can't narrow down the morphology search to help me identify this.

Would you have a lead on how I would approach this?  Many thanks for any help!

(Logos 7.4 on Mac)

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 10:49 AM

I would not use a morph search for the Old Testament, but a propositional outline search. I went to Exodus 20 to see how they tagged commandments, then built this search. For the difference in a mandate and a command, I suggest random guessing. 

({Section <PropositionalOutline = Command (Neg.)>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate (Neg.)>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Command>}) WITHIN {Speaker <Person God>}

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 11:20 AM

Justin Gatlin:
({Section <PropositionalOutline = Command (Neg.)>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate (Neg.)>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Command>}) WITHIN {Speaker <Person God>}

({Section <PropositionalOutline = Command (Neg.)>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate (Neg.)>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Command>}) INTERSECTS {Speaker <Person God>}

Learned INTERSECTS also includes Joel 3:9 in results

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 11:45 AM

Great, thank you. I'll work with this and see what kind of results I get. Thank you!

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 12:12 PM

Thanks again. Now I'm trying to create a visual filter using the ESV and the NIV.  It seems that propositional outlines are only availablee in the ESV, NASB, and some others, correct? So when I tried to create the visual filter in the ESV, it worked well. But no luck with the NIV... the visual filter does not yield any results on the text.

So, am I correct in understanding that only the ESV has the propositional outlines, and thus this search, above, for commands will work only on the ESV, NASB, and other tagged resources?

Thank you both for your help!

Posts 26947
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 1:02 PM

Chris Garrett:
So, am I correct in understanding that only the ESV has the propositional outlines, and thus this search, above, for commands will work only on the ESV, NASB, and other tagged resources?

It will work on Hebrew bibles, Greek bibles, some Septuagint bibles and translations with reverse interlinears (RI) such as ESV, NASB, KJV, NKJV, NLT, NRSV, LEB, HCSB, NIV 1984 and NIV 2011. NIV '84 & HCSB only have a NT reverse interlinear, but it all depends on the base packages/features and bibles that you have.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 2:50 PM

Chris Garrett:

Currently know of 28 Bibles that have propositional search results in the Old Testament and 36 Bibles with results in the New Testament:

Old Testament includes 2011 NIV while New Testament includes 1984 & 2011 NIV, which corresponds with the NIV reverse interlinears.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 4:54 AM

Thanks Keep Smiling!

the difference between the NIV84 (which I use) not having the OT outlines and the 2011 having the outlines was tripping me up. I'll make a note of that. Thank you for bringng that to my attention!

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 5:54 AM

Chris Garrett:
all the imperatives in the OT where:   {Speaker <Person God>}

In case what you are looking for is the commandments and you don't know this already, there is the Commandments of the Law interactive (which is, of course, not the whole OT but still a good start). 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS