Logos March Madness 2017

Page 5 of 6 (119 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 118 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 3:34 AM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
When it comes to MM I discriminate against authors for whom I already own all, or the vast majority in comparison to the person that are bracketed against, of their resources in Logos, no point voting for them. 

An excellant strategy.

Posts 7273
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 3:47 AM

Mattillo:

I'm with you... I was hoping to pick up some more MacArthur resources this time around but it looks like he'll lose again this year

Mac is 49% right now and Ben 50% so he might still make it.

DAL

Posts 255
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 7:04 AM

Sadly, for me, it looks like Reformed/Calvinist authors are once again going to rule the day.  Not that this was unexpected, but I really am incredulous at Keener currently losing to Augustine.  I mean come on, folks.  Geesh...

Posts 7273
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 7:09 AM

Gary Osborne:

Sadly, for me, it looks like Reformed/Calvinist authors are once again going to rule the day.  Not that this was unexpected, but I really am incredulous at Keener currently losing to Augustine.  I mean come on, folks.  Geesh...

My thoughts exactly on Keener versus Augustine!  I guess that's why they call it march madness  people vote in some crazy ways.

Posts 2395
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 7:14 AM

Right now Keener is 77 votes behind.  I was hoping he would win because I wanted this book on Miracles.

https://www.logos.com/product/39638/miracles-the-credibility-of-the-new-testament-accounts

Posts 2395
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 7:15 AM

MacArthur is about 51 votes behind Witherington.

Posts 255
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 7:21 AM

Ronald Quick:

Right now Keener is 77 votes behind.  I was hoping he would win because I wanted this book on Miracles.

https://www.logos.com/product/39638/miracles-the-credibility-of-the-new-testament-accounts

My reasoning as well.  It's a great book I have in hardback, but I really wanted it in my Logos library.  I'd also pick up a couple of his other works too.  Still can't get over him losing to Augustine!  Even knowing the heavy doctrinal slant amongst the vast majority of Logos users, I'd have thought Keener would easily outdistance the Saint.  Guess not.

Posts 866
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 7:57 AM

Remember that in MM, you still get to purchase the loser's books at a discount. Just at a lower discount.

The 24 hr face-off rounds are different. Only the winner's books are discounted.

Dale Heath

Posts 1082
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 8:44 AM

Gary Osborne:

...I really am incredulous at Keener currently losing to Augustine.  I mean come on, folks.  Geesh...

Not to take anything away from Dr. Keener, but Augustine wasn't exactly a lightweight either. I may disagree, but it's not an implausible vote. Depending on your interests and what's already in your library, filling out your collection of the church Fathers may be appealing.

Posts 979
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 10:26 AM

Ronald Quick:

I wouldn't hold my breathe for a Baker published book to be included in March Madness

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:01 AM

Augustine must have a good agent; his books cost about the same as Keener's despite being out of copyright.

Posts 2395
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:36 AM

Less than 20 votes separate MacArthur and Witherington.

Posts 2395
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:38 AM

I'd like to see MacArthur's commentaries discounted, but I don't know if that's even an option for Logos.

Posts 5321
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 2:14 PM

Buy a base package that includes Early Church Fathers, you'll get Augustine a lot cheaper that way than by knocking Keener out of first round of MM.

EastTN:

Gary Osborne:

...I really am incredulous at Keener currently losing to Augustine.  I mean come on, folks.  Geesh...

Not to take anything away from Dr. Keener, but Augustine wasn't exactly a lightweight either. I may disagree, but it's not an implausible vote. Depending on your interests and what's already in your library, filling out your collection of the church Fathers may be appealing.

Posts 1082
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 2:40 PM

Buy a base package that includes Early Church Fathers, you'll get Augustine a lot cheaper that way than by knocking Keener out of first round of MM.

EastTN:

Gary Osborne:

Hey, I certainly don't want to arm-wrestle you over who should win. I've bought several  base packages over the years, so I have Schaff and some of the Augustine volumes from the Fathers of the Church: St. Augustine (30 vols.) series (about a third). I'm also from a non-denominational background, so that's about enough to do me for now, personally. But if I came from a different tradition, or had different research interests, I might be interested in getting a deal on the $500 or so of Augustine resources that I don't already have.

Posts 5321
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:35 PM

No arm wrestle intended, i was just putting out there that there is actually potentially  better value ways for getting Augustine. 

EastTN:

EastTN:

Gary Osborne:

Hey, I certainly don't want to arm-wrestle you over who should win. I've bought several  base packages over the years, so I have Schaff and some of the Augustine volumes from the Fathers of the Church: St. Augustine (30 vols.) series (about a third). I'm also from a non-denominational background, so that's about enough to do me for now, personally. But if I came from a different tradition, or had different research interests, I might be interested in getting a deal on the $500 or so of Augustine resources that I don't already have.

Posts 1082
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 8 2017 7:45 AM

No arm wrestle intended, i was just putting out there that there is actually potentially  better value ways for getting Augustine. 

Quite true.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 6:50 AM

Generally speaking I am not prejudice against denomination. Most have something to teach us. I heard it said only this week by Michael Bird, "if I want to know about covenant I turn to my Presbyterian friends, if I want to know about the Lord's Supper I turn to my Catholic friends and if I want to know about the Priesthood of Believers I turn to my Baptist friends".

When it comes to MM I discriminate against authors for whom I already own all, or the vast majority in comparison to the person that are bracketed against, of their resources in Logos, no point voting for them. 

PetahChristian:

SineNomine:

My voting worked fine, but it looks like almost everyone whose victory I care about is going to lose.

I feel for you. I've also been convicted. Not being a Catholic, I was prejudiced against Catholic authors' beliefs, and did not take the time to learn what they had to offer. Please forgive me for my ignorance and presumption.

Petah, I can somewhat understand that.  I am not Catholic either, but I find some of their authors indispensable for learning, and they are not at stilted as someone might think.  Kreeft is an excellent author/philosopher with book topis ranging from CS Lewis to Virtue to Abortion to Heaven, and a neat series where each book begins "Socrates Meets _______ . . ." (Marx, Sartre, Hume) etc.  Brown is preeminant in John commentaries (and more) Fitzmeyer has several great commentaries in the Anchor series, Hahn is decent, a convert from Presbyterian (popular level, pro-Catholic, but someone who is a kind of bridge, helps break down some assumptions we make).  Missed a chance to get great works at much better prices.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 6:51 AM

(doc)--and I like what you said, forgot to reference it.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 6:54 AM

it appears that a book by IH Marshall listed for sale is only one he edited, not one article, it appears, was written by him.

The Spirit and Christ in the New Testament and Christian Theology: Essays in Honor of Max Turner

Page 5 of 6 (119 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS