Mac Vs. PC on Logos 7 - which is better?

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 4:33 PM

Diego Lara:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Have you tried disabling the keyboard logger built into Windows 10 that sends more information to Microsoft ?

Keep Smiling Smile

That would apply to pretty much anything you do, if you use Chrome, Firefox, Android, iOS, Youtube, Gmail Etc... they are collecting, analyzing and selling your data.

Concur online usage is tracked.

Windows 10 has many Privacy settings that can be turned off so User Interface shows not collecting.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3189
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 4:40 PM

Diego Lara:
That would apply to pretty much anything you do, if you use Chrome, Firefox, Android, iOS, Youtube, Gmail Etc... they are collecting, analyzing and selling your data.

Apple uses our data if we opt in, but I don't believe they sell it. See details about Apple's privacy values.

Posts 2235
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 5:44 PM

Rob Golding:

Surprisingly, comparable specs on a Dell XPS system seems to cost almost as much as a MacBook Pro... 

Yes that might be so. I wouldn't do it by spec though. You need 8-16 RAM and an i Core and an SSD. You don't need the latest version XPS and you don't need PCIe as nice as that is. (there's no real advantage for L7). Check out the Dell Outlet. I saw something right around $800 the last time I looked. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 4 2017 9:05 AM

mab:
Surprisingly, comparable specs on a Dell XPS system seems to cost almost as much as a MacBook Pro... 

When I got my last MacBook pro Dell was actually $400 more for a comparable system.

-dan

Posts 20
Rob Golding | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 1:57 PM

mab:

Rob Golding:

Yes that might be so. I wouldn't do it by spec though. You need 8-16 RAM and an i Core and an SSD. You don't need the latest version XPS and you don't need PCIe as nice as that is. (there's no real advantage for L7). Check out the Dell Outlet. I saw something right around $800 the last time I looked. 

Ya you're right. The specs I'm looking at will cost about $1k more on a Mac...

Posts 2235
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 2:02 PM

XPS 13 with 8GB RAM Kaby Lake iCore and 256GB SSD is right around $1000 on sale price. More than enough for Logos 7.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 20
Rob Golding | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 2:13 PM

So, I ended up forking over more cash for the MacBook pro. I found a new one on Craigslist that was last year's model for $1,900. I could have bought a XPS with comparable specs for around $1,000 (not including tax). 

Now that I'm older, I just want simplicity in my life and Mac seems to offer more of that for me than PC (it might just be that Mac makes more sense than Windows in my head). Whatever the case, I've been running Logos 7 on this machine and it works beautifully. My boot up screen is 3 commentaries, an ESV and 2 note tabs. The Mac boots it up in 13 seconds (including logging in etc). Opening guides and tools is almost instantaneous, with things like passage guide taking 2 seconds or less. There is almost no delay in any of the actions I take within Logos 7. 

Here's the specs of the Mac machine:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (3.7 GHz boost)

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

MacOs Sierra 

Running Logos 7 Starter Package (Standard) with added resources (including 77 vol Pulpit Commentary Series)

Beer Cheers! And thanks for the words of wisdom!

Posts 64
Eric Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 6:52 PM

I have a fairly high-end iMac and my work provides me with a high-end Windows 10 PC (HP zBook with SSD).  WIth the convergence of Microsoft Office and the similarities between both version of Logos they are fairly interchangeable as far as I am concerned.  I only tend to choose one vs. the other when I am doing software development  I tend to agree that the stability differences between the two OS's has narrowed and it really is not the differentiating factor.  Think in terms of your overall technology environments.  If you use an iPhone and/or iPad you MIGHT want an Apple desktop. However if you are using a Surface or Android device the cheaper Windows desktop might be preferred.  Another argument that I have heard is that has merit is that you might already be familiar with one and going up the learning curve for the other is just not worth it to you.

Logos performance is really dependent on big fast memory 16Gb preferred(8G OK) and a fast disk (SSD or hybrid). 

Posts 20
Rob Golding | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 12 2017 1:48 PM

Eric Ross:

I have a fairly high-end iMac and my work provides me with a high-end Windows 10 PC (HP zBook with SSD).  WIth the convergence of Microsoft Office and the similarities between both version of Logos they are fairly interchangeable as far as I am concerned.  I only tend to choose one vs. the other when I am doing software development  I tend to agree that the stability differences between the two OS's has narrowed and it really is not the differentiating factor.  Think in terms of your overall technology environments.  If you use an iPhone and/or iPad you MIGHT want an Apple desktop. However if you are using a Surface or Android device the cheaper Windows desktop might be preferred.  Another argument that I have heard is that has merit is that you might already be familiar with one and going up the learning curve for the other is just not worth it to you.

Logos performance is really dependent on big fast memory 16Gb preferred(8G OK) and a fast disk (SSD or hybrid). 

I agree. I think both systems will run the program well and second your recommendation on memory and disk speed. A solid core, good memory (not just GB) and SSD is really where the rubber meets the road. I'm not really a power user but I push the software and having quality components on those three factors proves very useful. I find myself using much more functionality than I did before on a 2.0 GHz i3 and 8GB RAM on a spinner HDD. As far as the 'ecosystem' I find Apple to sync and function a little easier than Windows/Android. Now that I'm older, I'll pay the extra buck for more simplicity, even if it's at a loss of functionality - personal preference. 

Posts 286
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 8:10 AM

My current machine is a Mac. I have run Windows 10 on it as a Boot Camp. In my experience both are good. Mac is not as wonderful as the fans would have it, and Windows 10 is not as bad as detractors would have it. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and switching back and forth, I knew I could be satisfied with either.

When I replace my laptop next year, I plan to go back to PC. To get a Mac that comes close to the requirements I have, it will cost about $700 more than a similarly priced PC. Mac is good, but not $700 extra worth of good.

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS