Organization of your paper library

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 5 2017 10:19 AM

I know I ask this every couple of years. But I'm still not satisfied with my system, and so I'm looking for something better.

How do you organize all of your books?

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 8342
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 11:12 AM

I used to have them by category (lectureship books, systematic theology, devotionals etc.) and each category in alphabetical order by author.  Now I only have a few books left so I don't worry about organizing them anymore, very few books.

DAL

Posts 9625
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 11:42 AM

abondservant:
But I'm still not satisfied with my system, and so I'm looking for something better.

What system are you currently using?

My strategy has been to divest myself of as many paper books as possible but I still have a wall full of them. I too would like to know a good system but currently I just organize them roughly by the type of book they are. I'm also interested in hearing how others are doing this and how, if at all, they integrate them into Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2749
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 1:15 PM

Great question! My thought here is to put together a list with subject tags so that I am reminded of them when I am working on them in Logos. If I'm doing Matthew, I've got several commentaries still in bound book. I need to look at them as well as what I have in Logos. I think at least notes to that effect would be essential.

I've been trusting my memory, but now that you have brought it up, I need to do something concrete about it. I doubt very much that I will ever get everything in Logos.  

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 1:29 PM

I find looking for books based on vague memories of the cover color to be therapeutic. 

In all seriousness, I am following this thread to see ideas.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 1:58 PM

Bruce Dunning:

abondservant:
But I'm still not satisfied with my system, and so I'm looking for something better.

What system are you currently using?

My strategy has been to divest myself of as many paper books as possible but I still have a wall full of them. I too would like to know a good system but currently I just organize them roughly by the type of book they are. I'm also interested in hearing how others are doing this and how, if at all, they integrate them into Logos.

Right now they are all in boxes ~4000 titles roughly.

I had a few loose categories. Commentaries, Theology, False religions and fiction, missions (which had the subdivisions "theology & practice", bibles. Then sort alphabetically by author.

But as I said, everything is in boxes right now, and I want to perhaps be better organized. The helpers have packed them in boxes by size... which means they no longer have much if any order.

There is a nearby church that keeps having garage sales, and the pastor keeps putting good books in there. I can buy an armload of books for a dollar or sometimes less. On top of that the school I received my bachelors from has a free book table... Which I visit regularly, so I'll never be fully divested I don't think. One whole room of my house is books floor to ceiling around the edges. I try not to duplicate titles... but I doubt I'll ever be fully divested.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 2:02 PM

mab:

Great question! My thought here is to put together a list with subject tags so that I am reminded of them when I am working on them in Logos. If I'm doing Matthew, I've got several commentaries still in bound book. I need to look at them as well as what I have in Logos. I think at least notes to that effect would be essential.

I've been trusting my memory, but now that you have brought it up, I need to do something concrete about it. I doubt very much that I will ever get everything in Logos.  

Have you made a list of subjects? Mine is far from complete. I had maybe 8 or 9 in total...

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 2:03 PM

Justin Gatlin:

I find looking for books based on vague memories of the cover color to be therapeutic. 

In all seriousness, I am following this thread to see ideas.

HAHA when I first moved back to FL from seminary that was my system for a while.

Gee I think I saw that book.... over there? Uhmm... Hmm where was it. OH! Here it is!!!

Don't want to go back to that.

Posts 406
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 2:42 PM

I organize them by topic. Books on history, theology, greek, commentaries. In the commentary section I placed them in biblical order from Genesis to revelation (not by series). Commentary sets are broken up and placed in order of biblical book along with the rest. 

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 2:56 PM

James C.:

I organize them by topic. Books on history, theology, greek, commentaries. In the commentary section I placed them in biblical order from Genesis to revelation (not by series). Commentary sets are broken up and placed in order of biblical book along with the rest. 

Bibles
Biblical Languages
   Greek
   Hebrew
Commentaries (by book - I like that)
Cults/False Religions
Fiction (only about 20, and thats why I had them lumped with primary texts from false religions)
Heterodox (I feel like I'm going to need subsections here too...)
History
Theology
   Theology of Missions
   Biblical Theology
   Dogmatic Theology
   Historical Theology
   Systematic
   (etc - I have a lot of these).
Missions
   Theological (must end the theology section here so I can have those titles under both).
   Practical
   Theory
Hmm... Good start. Thanks. Any other categories you all would recomend? I'm sure I'll add more as I sort books, but from experience I always end up adding more on the fly, and that can make things more difficult.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 11:54 AM

This is what I've got so far.
I've started with commentaries and have more paper commentaries than I'd realized.

Apologetics (I didn't populate this section because I don't want to cause offense. Even though I'm sure they have books geared at reaching me, a protestant).

Bible Background
   Ancient Cults
   Introductions/Handbooks
   NT Background
   OT Background

Bible Dictionaries
Bibles
Biblical & Other Languages
   Aramaic
   Greek
      Non-Biblical Greek Books
   Hebrew
   Latin/LXX
   Creole
   Spanish

Biography

Commentaries (by book - I like that)

Cults/False Religions

Fiction
   Classics
   Christian
   Westerns

Hermeneutics

Heterodox

History
   Historiography

Missions
   Theological
   Practical
   Theory

Philosophy

Preaching

Sermons
   CD/Cassette
   Books

Theology
   Theology of Missions
   Biblical Theology
   Dogmatic Theology
   Historical Theology
   Systematic

Posts 23
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 2:05 PM

abondservant:
There is a nearby church that keeps having garage sales, and the pastor keeps putting good books in there. I can buy an armload of books for a dollar or sometimes less.

I wouldn't mind stopping by this garage sale!!!

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 2:09 PM

abondservant:

I use the Dewey decimal system. It works extremely well.

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 2:44 PM

You may have it completely disorganized and use a Radar book finder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nn3TGdIeIA 

Unfortunately they don't plan to produce it, it was just an academic excercise so far.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 4:25 PM

Sean Collins:

abondservant:
There is a nearby church that keeps having garage sales, and the pastor keeps putting good books in there. I can buy an armload of books for a dollar or sometimes less.

Its been a blessing. I was by there again this past weekend and picked up another 20-30 books 7 for 1$ this time.

As to the dewey decimal system, that is not a system I know... While probably more robust and appropriate it would have a steeper learning curve.

I added "Periodicals" for tabletalk, and some of the journals that I get in the mail, and discarded from the local bible college.

Book Radar would be nice, hopefully someone takes that ball and runs with it.

I still am trying to make a database of ALL the titles I have. I may be making an access database to contain it. Something I can import CSV from Logos into, as well as CSV from goodreads/calibre/etc. Planning to use these same categories then as well perhaps.

I got the commentaries ordered - at least from Genesis through Peter. May finish the rest up after supper. This process will likely be put on hold, again, because one of my shelves needs some work, and I think I can put little shelves in between to expand my capacity a bit.

Posts 926
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 6:28 PM

That was my first thought! Like others, I've been trying to lighten my load of books on the shelf, and one of the outcomes is that I'm extremely picky about when I bring home from book sales. As a consequence, I haven't been to a good one in a long, long time.

Sean Collins:

abondservant:

Posts 926
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 6:30 PM

Similarly, I used the Library of Congress system for a while, but I haven't kept up. Probably never will at this point.

Mark Barnes:

abondservant:

I use the Dewey decimal system. It works extremely well.

Posts 2
CaseyDamon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 11:49 PM

Hello everyone i am new here

Posts 9625
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 22 2017 5:34 PM

CaseyDamon:
Hello everyone i am new here

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS