Passage Tagging

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 13
Doug Breaux | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:02 PM

I posted this to the NNTP forums last year before I was a Logos customer myself, but now that I am, I want it even more badly than I thought I would.

That is I want verse/passage tagging that works like, say, Delicious.com tagging.

I'd like to be able to select passages and "tag" them with topics of my choosing then be able to search by my tags. For instance, find all passages that are tagged with "humility" and "examples". A friend has explained how Notes and Clippings can sort-of fulfill my use-case, but they're an imperfect substitute.

Optional features would include a clickable tag cloud and a separate window which would show all the tags for currently visible passages.

I do see a couple other posts here with what appear to be the same suggestion, but I thought I'd resurface it with my specific "requirements". I'm so accustomed to tagging and find-by-tag that it's now difficult for me to use any kind of large information repository without it.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:10 PM

I agree completely!

Would love to be able to tag both references and words.

Posts 127
Darren Paul Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:16 PM

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but custom highlighting comes pretty close. So, say, make a highlighter named "humility", style it however you want, then apply it to whatever word, verse, or larger section of text that you want. You can even use it in non-versified resources. And, when 4.0c comes out you will be able to search within highlighted text.

User Interface Designer - Logos Bible Software

Posts 13
Doug Breaux | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 9:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. It was one I hadn't considered.  I've now tried it, and I don't think its going to  satisfy most of my desired usage pattern.

There's some kind of synergy about hotkey/pop-up-dialog/type-tags-which-create-or-typeahead-find that is more than the sum of the parts. Having to pre-create highlighters, show a separate window, and click on them is actually quite a bit different in (my) actual usage.

(Obviously can't comment on how the search will work since I haven't seen that yet.)

But thanks again for the response and idea. If I'm missing some shortcuts, I welcome further explanation.

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 9:25 PM

Doug Breaux:

show a separate window, and click on them is actually quite a bit different in (my) actual usage.

In 4.0c this won't be necessary because 4.0c offers the ability to assign shortcut keys to your highlights, so you can just highlight the text & use the shortcut key (i.e. my yellow highlight is the "y" shortcut key, so i just highlight my text, hit "y" & I'm done.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 13
Doug Breaux | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 11:03 PM

Thanks. That will be useful, although not for this use-case. I'd have way too many highlights if I were trying to use them as tags.

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 11:14 PM

Doug Breaux:

I want verse/passage tagging that works like, say, Delicious.com tagging.

Optional features would include a clickable tag cloud and a separate window which would show all the tags for currently visible passages.

+1 YesYes

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 11:32 PM

Rosie Perera:

Doug Breaux:

I want verse/passage tagging that works like, say, Delicious.com tagging.

+1 YesYes

Yes

Usings verse tags would be an even better way to create a personal topical reference that using the other methods available (Favorites, Notes, Passage lists, or Clippings).  You could also have an (switchable) embedded tag icon that would show a pop-up with all the tags for that verse in it.

Doug doesn't say if his tag cloud idea is for visible verses or all verses, but I think we would need to be able to see all the tags in use everywhere.  Also, I think having an collapsible alphabetical tag listing in addition to the "fashionable" tag cloud would be desirable (make it user-selectable).  Then when a tag is clicked on (in any view), a verse listing is displayed.  It would be nice.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 11:34 PM

Darren Paul Wright:
And, when 4.0c comes out you will be able to search within highlighted text.

It would be even better to search for highlighted text (of a particular style).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 11:54 AM

Yes Yes Yes

Time to revive this thread: The ability to tag selections would be AWESOME! My suggestion would be to incorporate it as one of the options in the context menu. This would allow us to:

1) Tag a passage of Scriptures with one or multiple topics.

2) Tag one or multiple articles in a resource. An article being identified by the navigational arrows.

3) Tag any custom selection of text or paragraph, which could be a subset of an article with one or multiple topics.

Then of course, we need a way to search and find what we have tagged! Yup, this one would definitely be on my Christmas wishlist (I'll be good, I promise).

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 2:21 PM

I am surprised that there are not more replies to this thread. Should Logos conclude that there is little interest in the suggestion this thread makes?

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 2:43 PM

I'll reply to it: Here, Here!

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 6:58 AM

Francis:

I am surprised that there are not more replies to this thread. Should Logos conclude that there is little interest in the suggestion this thread makes?

I always thought improved highlighting is that feature but after considering it, and after Francis described it, yes, I think it would be great tool, used much more than notes and clippings (although I love clippings very much and use them a lot.)

Bohuslav

Posts 1
Jeremy B Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 11:09 AM

Hi Doug,

I've been thinking about this suggestion for a week now. I now find myself enthused for a feature that may never exist!

Jeremy

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 12:05 PM

I will vote for this feature.

Alternatively, if highlighting is the best we can do for now, I would like to be able to open a tab or window and select a highlight kind and have the window display all text with that highlighting in a particular resource or among all resources. Without having to do a search.

If this already exists, I have not discovered it. Maybe it can be done with a wildcard search, but I do not know how to do that either.

Any advice? Thanks.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 12:10 PM

After giving it some thought...I agree..this would be great!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 12:13 PM

I didn't find this suggestion on UserVoice, so I added it there:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/848705-passage-tagging

Go vote for it to show your support.

Posts 9
Adam Posegate | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 10:18 AM

Yes, Logos, please include the ability to tag verses, passages, sentences, paragraphs from across all available books in a library. Please do this. Then when I search for something, I can get my own tags included in the results.

Posts 33245
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 12:06 PM

An excellent idea - note that there are also 3rd party applications that can provide this function if Logos does not. They tend to be slanted towards the legal trade but they can be used in any field. Mind you, I'd prefer to have Logos implement it and there are indications that they are started in that direction.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1
Kevin Meyers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 5 2010 9:05 AM

I'll add my vote!  

I'm relatively new to Logos and am a light user...so my presumptions below could very well be wrong.  Let me know if I'm thinking incorrectly here.

One thing that makes tags so attractive is that you can add multiple topic tags to the same piece of text.  Additionally, when it comes time to explore your tags, everything with multiple tags is linked in a spiderweb fashion (you can explore across topics as well as within them).  That's how my brain functions I guess, and tags are a mechanical representation of my thought pattern.

The clippings, lists and highlighting options will work but they really are built for different purposes.  Can you use two different highlighters on the same piece of text?  If one piece of text fits within multiple lists or clippings topics, your work is easily doubled...tripled...and so on.  And exploring through lists and clippings is top down only.

Tags are fast and simple and in my world each step in that direction is much appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS