Saved layouts question

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Jason Thacker | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:11 PM

Hey everyone,

Quick question. I am doing a lot of greek work each week for class and have a saved layout that I like to use for translation and such. The only thing is that when I click on that layout, Logos loads everything fine but pulls up the passage that I was working on when I first saved the layout. Then I have to change every little piece of the layout manually to the correct passage.

Is there an easier way to do this? or I am just being lazy...

Jason

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 12:11 AM

Hi Jason, at the end of each session, before you close your study, do the following:

1. Right click on the saved layout

2. select the option to overwrite it with the current snapshot.

The next time you open the saved layout, it will be at the same place you left off.

Blessings

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 2:57 AM

Jason Thacker:
Then I have to change every little piece of the layout manually to the correct passage.

It appears that you have not linked the "little pieces" together. Could you attach a screen shot of your layout so we can advise you on linking?

Posts 3
Jason Thacker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 12:24 PM

8475.Desktop.tiff

Here you go. I guess I am confused on what a saved layout is. I think that a saved layout is just a layout not way to save where you were working. But I guess that L4 takes it another way.

Thanks for checking to make sure that everything is linked together. 

Jason

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:47 PM

Jason Thacker:
Thanks for checking to make sure that everything is linked together. 

The linking looks good.

Jason Thacker:
I guess I am confused on what a saved layout is.

A saved layout is any screen arrangement that you may want to use again. 

When you have everything set up the way you want it, click the Layout button to the right of your L4 Window. At the top thumbnail on the right click the little pencil and type a descriptive name in the box. This will save your layout.

If you want to return to the same passage, go to Layouts and right (control) click on the saved name on the left side of the layouts window. Then you can select Update to change your saved layout, or you can select Rename to save another layout.

HTH

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 5:10 PM

Jack Caviness:
If you want to return to the same passage, go to Layouts and right (control) click on the saved name on the left side of the layouts window. Then you can select Update to change your saved layout, or you can select Rename to save another layout.

Thanks, Jack, I didn't know about the right click to update a saved layout. Another useful tip I've learned. Smile

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 2:27 AM

Alan Macgregor:
I didn't know about the right click to update a saved layout

That is a recent addition. It first appeared in 4.0b Beta on Windows and quickly followed on the Mac.

Posts 2
Peter Wang | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:37 AM

I'm posting to this old thread, but it seems most relevant to my question.  

I have a saved layout, but what I want is for Logos 4/Mac to go to my text reference and pull up the arrangement of windows/tabs exactly as I want them arranged.  the only way I know how to do this is with a Saved Layout.  But when I choose my preferred layout, it jumps to the reference that I was using when I saved it.  Is there a way to establish a default screen/tab arrangement using layouts but without tying the layout to a Scripture reference?  If not, how else can I set my screen/tab arrangement so that whatever text I select, it brings me results as I want them arranged?  

Thanks!

Peter

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 12:47 PM

Peter Wang:
I'm posting to this old thread, but it seems most relevant to my question.  

That is a bad practice. Several people who could provide assistance may miss your question. It is always best to start a new thread with a new question.

Peter Wang:
 But when I choose my preferred layout, it jumps to the reference that I was using when I saved it.  Is there a way to establish a default screen/tab arrangement using layouts but without tying the layout to a Scripture reference?

No, there is not even in the Windows version.

Peter Wang:
how else can I set my screen/tab arrangement so that whatever text I select, it brings me results as I want them arranged?  

Not sure I understand this question. You seems to know about saved layouts, so I am not sure what you want here. Please provide some more information as to what you are seeking. You do know about linking panes/panels/windows don't you?

Posts 2
Peter Wang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 1:05 PM

Thanks for the tip on the posting.  Rookie mistake.  I appreciate you finding this post and taking the time to respond. 

i think my last sentence confused things.  I understand the ability to link (haven't taken the time to play around yet, but that makes sense).   And maybe your answer about 'no, not even in Windows' answered it.  

I'd like to start Logos, enter a Scripture reference, and immediately  have the window of results (Passag Guide, Versions, commentaries, etc.) be my 'default' view so that tabs and panes are positioned and sized exactly how I work best.  Right now, all I know to do is Enter Isaiah 7:14, for example, have everything come up in the Logos 4 default view, Go to Layouts, select my saved Layout, which jumps me to Revelation 21:3 (where I was when I saved that Layout), and then re-enter Isaiah 7:14.   I'm thinking that I should be able to set a default layout that always comes up regardless of what Scr passage I happen to go to.  Thanks again for any help!

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 1:25 PM

Start your search from the default layout rather than from the Home Page. I usually start from the Passage Guide.

BTW: You can find some excellent instruction at http://www.4-14.org.uk/logos/tutorial-videos . These videos are superb. They are a work in progress. I don't know how many Mark plans to produce, but he has 14 so far.

Posts 32
Blair | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 6:52 PM

Jack Caviness:

So, just to confirm: "Rename" doesn't actually rename the current saved layout; it actually creates a new layout, right? The old layout is still saved under its original file name?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 7:33 PM

Blair:
So, just to confirm: "Rename" doesn't actually rename the current saved layout; it actually creates a new layout, right? The old layout is still saved under its original file name?

Rename does change original saved layout.  Renamed many saved layouts: added prefix to change sort order, wanted to keep several layouts created using Logos 4 Mac pre-release alpha releases, added "z" prefix to sort at bottom of layout list.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS