Windows Touch Screen Logos Possible vs iPad?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 35
Greg Perry | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:51 PM

I am a Windows-Only user for various reasons. Logos is the first thing that has EVER gotten me to consider an Apple product. (I have absolute knowledge Apple's products are wonderful, you don't need to convince me. I really do know that.)

For a while I have assumed I will be buying my first Apple product: An iPad to run Logos 4 - It really, really could be too cool.

But now that pre-orders are available, I don't know. Learning that when the battery goes, they REPLACE THE WHOLE IPAD with a refurbished one instead of just the battery... it all just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, plus the move to Apple for the first time... I'm getting cold feet.

Our friends who love Apple can and will try to convince me to change back but I'm losing interesting FAST.

So bottom line question: Do any of you use Logos 4 on a Windows based Tablet PC with the new Win 7 Multi Touch Technology? (I think that's what the new Windows touchscreen technology is called, I've yet to see or use it.) IS IT USEABLE? IT IS NICE? DOES IT WORK FAIRLY INTUITIVELY FOR A HEAVY LOGOS 4 USER?

Thanks,

Greg

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 5:04 AM

Greg Perry:
Do any of you use Logos 4 on a Windows based Tablet PC with the new Win 7 Multi Touch Technology?

Greg, I use a HP Touchsmart and Win 7.  The touchscreen works great, especially in bed, a the smaller size, and ability to flip the screen and read as if using a book is comfortable.  It is easy to highlight using the screen, but detailed notes are cumbersome.  I also like the fact that I can also use third party software to help with my notes.  As an iPod Touch owner, I already know which resources will be availalbe for me, and there just isn't eough in it for me. 

In Christ,

Dave

Posts 35
Greg Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 7:46 AM

Dave,

THANK YOU. I was surprised that nobody responded to my post for so long. I was beginning to wonder if I posted it correctly. But then again, touch screen PCs are just not the big thing for some reason.

I am going to look into your HP Touchsmart. Just a quick follow-up - Can you use it as a basic laptop on the go, or is it designed to be fairly stay-in-place, i.e. kitchen, etc? It is time to replace my laptop, and I want the touchscreen technology, but I still need the traditional uses for a laptop also (email, word processing, Excel, Internet, and Logos). The fact you use it in bed tells me it is NOT a stay-in-place kind of device but the stock photo I just looked at shows a keyboard and sort of LOOKS (having read nothing about it yet) like a stay-in-place kind of computer.

Thanks!

Greg

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 1:29 PM

I too have used an HP Tx2500 which has touch and pen capabilities but not multi-touch. I must say that while it works, the smaller controls in Logos 4 make it harder. You can pump up the interface zoom in the Logos settings but that also effects other computers where you may not want them bigger.

Posts 35
Greg Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 1:39 PM

Kevin, that is a VERY good point that I also had not considered.

I use that Age Control a lot in Logos.

(What Age Control? The one on the Preferences menu. You know, the Age Control.)

(You know that one with the big A's and the little A's and the older you get, the more towards the bigger A's we move it?)

(I have to give Morris Proctor credit for that one!)

Greg

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 7:50 PM

Greg Perry:

Kevin, that is a VERY good point that I also had not considered.

I use that Age Control a lot in Logos.

(What Age Control? The one on the Preferences menu. You know, the Age Control.)

(You know that one with the big A's and the little A's and the older you get, the more towards the bigger A's we move it?)

(I have to give Morris Proctor credit for that one!)

Greg

Try searching for Microsoft's Origami Touch Experience 2.0 - I believe it is a free download and it should increase the size of scroll bars particularly, which would help with touch screen scrolling.  I know it helped a good bit on a tablet PC (2007-era) that I tested for a while earlier this year.  I sold that one though because it was too slow.  Smile

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 6:31 AM

Greg Perry:
it as a basic laptop on the go

As an online seminary student, I use the HP for almost all homework assignments, and take it on the go quite frequently.  The ability to switch the screen around and close it helps when in a car, bus, train or plane.  It has all the functionality of a full size laptop, and works great with OneNote.  Other than the cost, I have no idea why these netbooks are so much more popular. 

In Christ,

Dave

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 9:26 AM

Daniel Lee:
Try searching for Microsoft's Origami Touch Experience 2.0 - I believe it is a free download and it should increase the size of scroll bars particularly, which would help with touch screen scrolling.  I know it helped a good bit on a tablet PC (2007-era) that I tested for a while earlier this year.  I sold that one though because it was too slow.

Would that work in Logos since they do not use the typical windows interface but rather WPF? I doubt it.

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 12:15 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I too have used an HP Tx2500 which has touch and pen capabilities but not multi-touch. I must say that while it works, the smaller controls in Logos 4 make it harder. You can pump up the interface zoom in the Logos settings but that also effects other computers where you may not want them bigger.

I wonder how popular this is, would it make sense to have an option in program settings that reads something like "Don't sync scaling options"? Maybe there are other visual things that you guys wouldn't want synced that can described with a more general program setting?

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 12:41 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Would that work in Logos since they do not use the typical windows interface but rather WPF?

As soon as there is a break in my schedule, I plan to download Origami and see, I will let you know...

DP

<><

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 2:54 PM

George Allakhverdyan:
I wonder how popular this is, would it make sense to have an option in program settings that reads something like "Don't sync scaling options"?

I cannot speak to popularity but I know that I would very much like to have control over these machine specific type settings.

This was discussed back in the early stages of the original beta and Bob was concerned and not inclined to allow for this kind of control. If my memory is correct it was because of potential customer service calls when something was expected to sync and it didn't. This is understandable, nevertheless it would be my preference to allow for it even if it was a command.

I use a Tablet PC with with a touch screen and it would be preferable to have the ability to have different settings for different machines. fonts (size) scaling, etc.

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 4:25 PM

Trey Selman:

I use a Tablet PC with with a touch screen and it would be preferable to have the ability to have different settings for different machines. fonts (size) scaling, etc.

I see, it seems to me like a more practical setting option would be something that doesn't affect sync'ing of documents but affects sync'ing of program settings..

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 6:44 AM

It is possible that every single customization setting would have someone who would rather it not be synced across all computers.

For example, at my office I may not want alerts about new content available since it would be a distraction but at home I might not mind it. Or on my laptop I want things smaller than usual since I have a 1280x800 but at home desktop I want things bigger since I  have 1920x1024. I could go through entire list of settings and give examples, but you get the idea.

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:14 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

It is possible that every single customization setting would have someone who would rather it not be synced across all computers.

For example, at my office I may not want alerts about new content available since it would be a distraction but at home I might not mind it. Or on my laptop I want things smaller than usual since I have a 1280x800 but at home desktop I want things bigger since I  have 1920x1024. I could go through entire list of settings and give examples, but you get the idea.

Yes I get the point. Sorry, at the moment this will not be implemented as there are other bigger issues/features but maybe we will offer sync customizations in a future release. I linked to this thread in that case.

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:57 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Would that work in Logos since they do not use the typical windows interface but rather WPF? I doubt it.

You are correct, Kevin, it had no effect. In fact the Origami only seemed to work with a couple of programs, and in my opinion not worth keeping.

In Christ,

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS