RefTragger: Java Script no longer supported on Firefox browser

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9
Mark Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:10 PM

Is there an alternative method or code other than using Java Script for RefTragger? Why do I ask, it seems that Firefox version 52 no longer supports Java as of about a week or so ago. I've been using Firefox to post on Blogger for years now and would hate to have to change browsers. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks, Mark

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:33 PM

Mark Miller:
Why do I ask, it seems that Firefox version 52 no longer supports Java as of about a week or so ago.

Despite the similar name, JavaScript and Java are completely separate technologies, and Firefox discontinuing support for Java has no impact on their support for Javascript. (which remains)

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 9
Mark Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 17 2017 10:40 AM

Thanks for your response. Can you please tell me if the following RefTagger hover pop-up script is Java or JavaScript:

<script>
    var refTagger = {
        settings: {
            bibleVersion: "ESV"            
        }
    };
    (function(d, t) {
        var g = d.createElement(t), s = d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0];
        g.src = "//api.reftagger.com/v2/RefTagger.js";
        s.parentNode.insertBefore(g, s);
    }(document, "script"));
</script>

This what I put in Blogger.com using Firefox 52, the script works on other browsers but not on Firefox.

Thanks, Mark

Posts 4
Rhett Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 6:42 PM

David, I believe that the Wordpress plugin has stopped functioning for Firefox browsers.  I have the latest plugin (2.0.3), WP v4.7.3, and FF v52.0.1 and the scripture links are not working with FF.  Works ok with Chrome.  I have tried deactivating/activating the plugin, changing/saving settings, etc. to no avail.  Any suggestions? 

Posts 9
Mark Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 10:57 PM

I agree with Rhett Daniel.  However, I’ve noticed that RefTragger also stopped working on the latest version of Chrome a few days ago. I tried Edge and it stopped working there a few days ago.  The only one I’ve found that RefTragger works on is Internet Explorer, that is, the version that comes attached to Edge for Windows 10. Can Logos somehow redo or update the code for RefTragger so it works again on all the browsers. This is a major problem for my work as I now need to write fairly complex hover pop-up HTML code for each bible verse on my articles. I hope you can figure out way to get it working again. Thanks.

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 2:04 AM

Mark Miller:
  However, I’ve noticed that RefTragger also stopped working on the latest version of Chrome a few days ago.

Reftagger seems to be working fine on my site using Chrome

I wonder if something else is going on here.

It is also working fine with Edge

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 3:07 AM

Mark Miller:
Thanks for your response. Can you please tell me if the following RefTagger hover pop-up script is Java or JavaScript:

That's Javascript, and should be fine.

If anyone has specific issues, please post the URL of the page that's causing the problems, along with the browsers involved. Without that information, it's hard to offer help.

Posts 4
Rhett Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 6:17 AM

Here is our site:

http://www.somervillerdchurchofchrist.com/

Works on Chrome, Safari.  Does not work on Firefox 

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 7:02 AM

Rhett Daniel:
Does not work on Firefox 

Looks like it is working for me with Firefox

Posts 4
Rhett Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 7:38 AM
Hi Graham, Which version of Firefox and platform are you running. I am using Firefox 52.0.1 on Mac OSX Sierra, latest patches.
Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 7:48 AM

It works for me on Firefox 52.0.01 on Windows.

Posts 2732
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 8:52 AM

Hi Mark,

I think I know what's happening.

Here's the view of the website when adblock plus is disabled:

When adblocking is enabled, RefTagger stops working:

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 4
Rhett Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 7:56 PM

Well, I feel like a real dummie - it was the ad blocker all along.  My apologies! 

Posts 9
Mark Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 11:21 PM

I disabled my Ad Blocker Plus on Firefox, then restarted Firefox, even rebooted the computer and RefTagger still does not work.

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 11:56 PM

Mark Miller:

I disabled my Ad Blocker Plus on Firefox, then restarted Firefox, even rebooted the computer and RefTagger still does not work.

Please post a link to a site you are using

Posts 9
Mark Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 11:58 PM

I use Firefox 52.0.1; Chrome version 57.0.2987.110; Edge (couldn't find version); here's the web address' where RefTagger doesn't work with the previous mentioned browsers, Church Service: http://ticket2heaven2009.blogspot.com/2017/03/internet-church-service-march-26-2017.html and Bible Study: http://ticket2heaven2009.blogspot.com/2017/03/weekly-bible-study-march-20-2017.html .  I've shut off Adblock Plus and I have Windows 10.

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 26 2017 12:15 AM

Mark Miller:

I use Firefox 52.0.1; Chrome version 57.0.2987.110; Edge (couldn't find version); here's the web address' where RefTagger doesn't work with the previous mentioned browsers, Church Service: http://ticket2heaven2009.blogspot.com/2017/03/internet-church-service-march-26-2017.html and Bible Study: http://ticket2heaven2009.blogspot.com/2017/03/weekly-bible-study-march-20-2017.html .  I've shut off Adblock Plus and I have Windows 10.

With the same version of Firefox the popups work for me

I'd try disabling some other extensions in your browser to see if that is causing the problem.

Posts 2732
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 26 2017 7:56 PM

The really annoying thing is that Adblock Plus has an explicit filter rule for RefTagger in their lists, and therefore blocks it on purpose.

It's not the first time that this company displays extremely rude behaviour. Angry

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 9
Mark Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 6:42 PM

Hi, 

I think I've figured out what the problem is.  I have PC Matic with Super Shield Protection, so, I did a 10 min pause and restarted Firefox and RefTagger worked again,  but only for 10 minutes.  I contacted PC Matic and told them my story, they did something to the PC Matic program on my computer and now RefTagger works.  If any of you that are having the RefTaggar problem have PC Matic as your anti virus / malware software, do a 10 min pause then restart firefox and see if that fixes it.  If that turns out to be your problem also, you'll need to contact PC Matic support so they can fix it for you. I'll do another reply to this forum so everyone will know if I continue to have the problem or the problem returns.

Thanks,

Mark

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS