A Question about the Life Application Bible Commentary Series

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 122
Richard J. Ward | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 16 2017 11:06 AM

The complete series and the one-volume edition is included in the March Madness sale. I'm wondering if I should purchase the series or the one-volume edition. I have plenty of awesome commentary sets already, so I don't think the series will add much extra commentary gems. So I'm looking specifically for good application for each text. Does the series add a lot more application than the single volume? 

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 11:21 AM

I have the series and really like it.  Here is a sample of Mark 14. 

14:33 And He took Peter, James, and John with Him, and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed. NKJV Jesus then took the other three disciples, his inner circle, farther into the garden with him. To these closest friends, Jesus revealed his inner turmoil over the event he was about to face. Jesus was troubled and deeply distressed over his approaching death because he would have to be separated from the Father and would have to bear the sins of the world. The divine course was set, but Jesus, in his human nature, still struggled (Hebrews 5:7–9). His coming death was no surprise; he knew about it and had even told the disciples about it so they would be prepared. Jesus knew what his death would accomplish. He also knew that the means to that end would mean taking upon himself the sin of the world, thus, for a time, alienated from his Father who would be unable to look upon sin: “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21 NIV). Jesus bore our guilt by “becoming a curse for us” (Galatians 3:13 NIV). As the time of this event neared, it became even more horrifying. Jesus naturally recoiled from the prospect.

JESUS KNOWS
Sometimes we forget how fully human Jesus, Son of God, Savior, really was. Here we see it. His agony fills the garden.
Agonies consume us, too. To face the imminent death of a loved one or the accidental death of a child or our own approaching demise—these agonies can tear at our souls.
Do we have a Savior who knows how heavily we tremble, how deeply we groan? Yes, we do. Can we come to this Savior in prayer and find a friend? Yes, we can. Jesus is with you; he’s been there; he knows the feeling. He will help you come through.

14:34 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.” NIV To these three disciples Jesus revealed his inner agony. He was shuddering in horror at the prospect before him. Early in Jesus’ ministry Satan had tempted him to take the easy way out (Matthew 4:1–11); later Peter had suggested that Jesus did not have to die (Mark 8:32–33). In both cases, Jesus had dealt with the temptation soundly. Now, as his horrible death and separation from the Father loomed before him, he was overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Jesus did not attempt to run from it, nor did he doubt that God would raise him from the dead and return him to glory. Jesus, in his humanity, agonized over the inevitable horror that would soon come, yet he faced it courageously (Hebrews 12:2–3). Some see in Jesus’ words an allusion to Psalm 42:6.
Jesus asked Peter, James, and John (14:33) to stay with him. James and John had professed that they could drink the cup of Jesus’ suffering (10:38–39). Jesus wanted these men to keep watch; Jesus knew Judas would soon arrive, and Jesus wanted to devote himself to prayer until that time came. Jesus also wanted them to stay awake and participate with him in his suffering. This is a vital part of discipleship. Jesus wanted these disciples to understand his suffering and to be strengthened by his example when they would face persecution and suffering.

PRAYER AND COURAGE
When the road you’re on is irreversible and you’re unsure about what’s ahead, pray for courage to take another step forward. We all need courage to face tough reality.
When grim injustice and devilish hatred are robbing you of life’s treasure, pray for the courage to trust God completely through the pain and for the eventual victory of love.
At the worst moment of his life, Jesus prayed. Now he is our advocate in heaven—and he knows the courage we need.

Barton, B. B. (1994). Mark (pp. 423–425). Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House Publishers.

Posts 3658
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 12:36 PM

William:
I have the series and really like it.

Me too.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2691
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 12:58 PM

The Life Application New Testament Commentary one volume added below for comparison

14:33–34 Jesus took three disciples, his inner circle, farther into the garden with him. To these closest friends, Jesus revealed his inner turmoil over the event he was about to face. The divine course was set, but Jesus, in his human nature, still struggled (Hebrews 5:7–9). His coming death was no surprise; he knew about it and had even told the disciples about it so they would be prepared. Jesus knew what his death would accomplish. As the time of this event neared, it became even more horrifying. Jesus naturally recoiled from the prospect.
Jesus asked Peter, James, and John (14:33) to stay and watch with him. Jesus knew Judas would soon arrive, and Jesus wanted to devote himself to prayer until that time came.

Barton, B., Comfort, P., Osborne, G., Taylor, L. K., & Veerman, D. (2001). Life Application New Testament Commentary (pp. 216–217). Wheaton, IL: Tyndale.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3
Leonard Madison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 1:57 AM

I was asking the same question.  I find the Life Application note very useful for on the fly clarification in a small group setting.  Sometime ya just can't think of an example of an easier way to explain a verse.  Here are screen examples of all three side by side. I use a competitors app while on the go because it just works more intuitive on my IPAD.  However LOGOS is much more usable on my computer.  That being said I thought it would be helpful for you to see an example of the 3 books side by side.  I had to adjust the fonts to give you a proper view of all documents.  My advise would be to get the NIVAC.

Life Application Study Bible (LASB)

The NIV Application Commentary New Testament Set (NIVAC 20 Vols.)

The Life Application Bible Commentary New Testament Set (LABC 17 Vols.)

Posts 6320
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 2:03 AM

Check your upgrade price. It’s included in the Charismatic/Pentecostal Gold Package. You might end up paying the same or less and get more for your money.

DAL

Posts 139
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 8:22 AM

That's interesting.  I was curious, since both LABC and NIVAC are on sale, how similar are these resources?  In other words is the commentary for a given set of passages basically the same between the two?  I cannot determine that with the screen shot as they cover slightly different passages.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

thanks

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 8:28 AM

For what it is best at, Application, I find NIVAC to be much better.  I have not touched it in years.  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS