What Should I Buy?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1
Taylor Sinclair | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 18 2017 4:05 PM

Sugestions on what Logos pack and what resources a first year seminary student should purchase? What are the essentials (Especially for languages)?

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 18 2017 4:29 PM
Realizing budgets are usually tight I would think you should safely get away with silver. You can find a package that fits in with your denominational/theological background or the general if you prefer. -dan
Posts 960
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 18 2017 4:53 PM

You should definitely start with Logos Cloud free trial at the top level and use it for a month to figure out what you will find useful. Your opinion on that should change a bit through your studies though.

Sign up for an academic discount first. Get one of the SESB bundles for original languages but you probably only need the core texts included in the regular base packages unless you specialize in languages.

Then look carefully at the lists of books included in the different bundles to see what you want. The lists are long and complex but its very well worth spending a lot of time on it because its a lot of money. Notice most commentary sets don't cover the whole bible for example. It's very hard to give great advice without knowing what course you are on and where because different institutions and tutors favor different resources.

I've found that I could get better value in terms of the resources I wanted by purchasing a few different base packages at the cheaper levels than by going all in on a very big one. That's worth considering...

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 341
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 18 2017 5:46 PM

Taylor,

Look at what's free ...

1. Abridged BDB   https://www.logos.com/product/677/the-abridged-brown-driver-briggs-hebrew-english-lexicon-of-the-old-testament

2. Lexham English Bible (LEB) with Audio New Testament https://www.logos.com/product/6162/lexham-english-bible-leb-with-audio-new-testament

3. SBL Greek NT https://www.logos.com/product/8486/the-greek-new-testament-sbl-edition

4. Codex Bezae and Codex Sinaiticus

5. Faithlife Study Bible

6. Lexham Bible Dictionary

Stephen Miller

Australia

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 18 2017 7:09 PM

If your question is what should you budget, then ok (though not my business).

But you should buy appropriate to your place in the sun. First year usually are overviews and papers. Plenty of time to learn your future ... maybe you'll discover new exciting paths.

Posts 9078
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 18 2017 8:27 PM
Taylor, you should plan on purchasing either a Gold or Platinum package if you can afford it. This gives you the best discount for the resources you'll find most helpful. If you qualify for an academic discount you can buy the Biblical Languages package, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that over one of the above, as, hopefully, you'll use Logos for more than language study. The HALOT/BDAG bundle would be essential for language study. I'd want the Anchor-Yale Bible Dictionary, and if not right away, then eventually, some additional commentaries. Unfortunately the base packages don't offer the best commentaries, so those will need to be added individually. With the Standard packages I'd prefer Gold, supplemented as above. There are other options if you want to look at the denominational packages. Again, Gold is the least you'd want to own in any of these.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 9:52 AM

John Goodman:

Academic Discount => https://www.logos.com/academic-discount

Academic student OR faculty can purchase => https://www.logos.com/product/126577/biblical-languages (does not have dynamic pricing so is ideal for an initial purchase)

Personally recommend "purchase" of free packages => Basic and => Verbum Basic that have "access-only" resources, which have no effect on dynamic pricing.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 7:46 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Personally recommend "purchase" of free packages ... Verbum Basic that have "access-only" resources, which have no effect on dynamic pricing.

I bought Verbum Basic because I was just curious. Now it is on my order history but does not download. The product page has also a link to VerbumSetup.exe (PC), just wonder whether that is also necessary? I thought that my Logos7 could download just the resources right away? 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 3190
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 8:36 AM

Veli Voipio:
I thought that my Logos7 could download just the resources right away?

Yes, that is what happens. Check your library for the Verbum resources.

You don't need to install the Verbum program, as you can access the Verbum resources within Logos.

Posts 1010
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 8:40 AM

Taylor,

I would suggest you look carefully at your seminary's materials to see if they have any recommendations. You might also want to wait and talk to a couple of your professors to see what advice they have. I say this because there are two considerations here:

• The first is building a solid research library to support your studies in general;
  • The second is the specific set of textbooks and readings that you'll need for your classes.

The advice you'll get from the forum is great for deciding what you need for the first purpose.  But you can only find out what specific textbooks you'll need from your seminary.  For what it's worth, my experience is that no base package is likely going to cover all of the books you're going to be assigned.  That's not a criticism - it's just the way it is.

So if money's tight, you might want to consider purchasing a smaller base package than you might otherwise like, recognizing that you're likely going to be buying at least a couple of books with each class you take. 

EastTN

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 8:50 AM

I would also find someone from your school to tell you.  Many textbooks can be in Logos, and if you know that you can get the bundle that will help you out that way. 

Either way I suggest getting the largest base package you can afford.

Posts 617
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 8:57 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Academic Discount => https://www.logos.com/academic-discount

Academic student OR faculty can purchase => https://www.logos.com/product/126577/biblical-languages (does not have dynamic pricing so is ideal for an initial purchase)

This is exactly what I was going to recommend

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 10:05 AM

PetahChristian:
Check your library for the Verbum resources.

OK, thanks a lot! The product page shows that some of the resources new to me, and they actually are in my library, as temporary.

Therefore nothing downloaded, but just wonder why they did not convert to permanent?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 12:01 PM

Veli Voipio:
Therefore nothing downloaded, but just wonder why they did not convert to permanent?

Basic and Verbum Basic packages have free, unlimited use "access-only" resources with temporary licenses, which have no effect on dynamic pricing. Conversion to permanent happens with purchase of permanent license.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 7:09 PM

As a seminary student, the Master Journal Bundle is my most used resource and I think it's a great value  https://www.logos.com/product/54391/master-journal-bundle-21

Posts 1
Anita Burroughs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 8:57 AM

I am seriously starting a Women's Ministries and appreciate the information on what is free.  Thank you so very much for the resources. 

Anita

USA

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 9:28 AM

Anita Burroughs:

I am seriously starting a Women's Ministries and appreciate the information on what is free.  Thank you so very much for the resources. 

Anita

USA

Greetings Anita

I am glad that you found some useful information in this thread. Welcome to the Forums, they are a great source of information and there are many here that are happy to help whatever your questions.

I am a supposedly 'helpful' volunteer (see the star below my picture). New user questions are great for me as I am likely to know the answer.  :-)

If I may give one piece of advice regarding this thread. Please note that the date the last message was posted was in March '17. In this case the information was reasonably up to date but you should note the date of posting because things can change drastically over time.

If in doubt, start a new thread, it will be great to see you around here.

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 10:08 AM

Straight forward advice: If you can afford it shoot for Platinum Standard and nothing less.  The only issue is that as a first year student you might decide half way through your first year that ministry is not for you. But then again, you can always resell the base package to someone else. The only caveat is you won’t get all your money back. 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 11:12 AM

Ha! You got me there Mike! I forgot to check the date 😂  it would be interesting to know if the OP actually made it through seminary, though 👍😁👌

Posts 395
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 12:45 PM

I don’t know if it is the same one but here is Taylor Sinclair‘s linkedin profile.  

BA in Business Administration. Pastoral Assistant at Grace Community Church. Master's of Divinty Student at The Master's Seminary.

so quite possible. 

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS