Page 5 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 82 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1052
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:12 PM

MJ. Smith:
It occurs to me that while I bemoan the lack of rhetorical, logical and philosophical works in Logos, I ought to add linguistics to the list

Wow. I am looking forward to seeing that they will appears!

Posts 67
Brian Whalen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:22 PM

Seems like a set theory lesson may be approaching here.  It may be that older paraphrases are accurate.  Can a paraphrase be a translation, can a translation be a paraphrase?  In today's publishing world I would argue they are exclusive; when I hear people use The Message exclusively I cringe.    It may be that in previous generations or centuries, paraphrases were more accurate, but I don't believe that is the case now.  Would you call The Voice a translation?  To me, you either strive to get the actual text across, communicating tense, mood, and voice as accurately as possible, or you don't, wanting instead to focus on readability or some other attribute.

Brian Whalen

http://www.mcnazarene.com

Posts 33257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:53 PM

Brian Whalen:
when I hear people use The Message exclusively I cringe.

I don't simply because I am unfamiliar with it. For a variety of reasons, the translations I am familiar with - from classes, liturgical use or preference - are from the scholarly, literary, Catholic, Orthodox and Jewish translation streams.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 5 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS