Archaeology Chart

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 28 2017 3:34 AM

Does anyone know of a handy chart (online or in Logos) which one could quickly refer when reading such terms as 'Iron Age I', 'Bronze Age II', etc.?

These are referred to so often in scholarly literature, but I have a difficult time remembering how to place them chronologically.

Posts 1561
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 28 2017 3:53 AM

Jordan Litchfield:

Does anyone know of a handy chart (online or in Logos) which one could quickly refer when reading such terms as 'Iron Age I', 'Bronze Age II', etc.?

These are referred to so often in scholarly literature, but I have a difficult time remembering how to place them chronologically.

Perhaps one of these will provide what you're after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_archaeological_periods_(Levant)

http://www.bible-history.com/ancient_oil_lamps/ancient-oil-lamps_chart_of_archaeological_periods.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_archaeological_periods

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 28 2017 4:21 AM

There's a simple but detailed chart in the New Bible Dictionary, which you probably have.

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 28 2017 4:43 AM

Thanks guys, I actually don't have the NBD, but those other charts will work great.

Posts 364
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 28 2017 1:52 PM

But just so you know, the "scholars" don't agree on the dating, so you need to see if there is an explanation or chart that explains "their" dating system in each book. I got a Master's degree in archaeology while studying in Jerusalem and I had to learn different dates for different professors.

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 29 2017 7:21 AM

Yes, I know there can be sometime significant divergence, but I was just wanting something to give me quick, rough idea of the time period referred to.

Posts 364
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 29 2017 7:26 AM

I totally understand!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 29 2017 8:01 AM

Recognizing Jordan's immediate need (quick reference), and Charlene's point (variability), it'd be nice to have something in Logos. 

I kind of cringe for a tool .. I guess I'm not confident about the execution. Maybe a good resource, if there were such.

The problem is not limited to archaeology ... it's in geology as well. Anything that has events without a solid calendar.  So, using a clock as a visual, you can change the time (hands of the clock), or change the face of the clock. Both change the 'time'.

What the criticalities are for either, is what I'd like. You get bits and pieces reading ... pottery styles, weather (droughts), astronomy (meteors, etc) and earthquakes.  Missing people, and sudden people.

On the geology side, the issue is considerably more transparent. The edges (clock face) are loosely linked to fossils. Archaeology, pottery mainly.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 30 2017 10:34 PM

You also might find Hints in the Timeline

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 31 2017 6:11 AM

Thanks John, that's helpful as well.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS