Compare and Contrast

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 670
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 5 2017 1:06 PM

Im trying to weigh which product to get for the OT.  Im deciding between the Black IVP dictionaries (I have the NT volumes), or the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary OT.

Thanks.

Posts 1601
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 5 2017 1:10 PM

Those are pretty different. ZIBBCOT is more like a limited commentary, and the other is encyclopedic. I have both, and find myself in the IVP Dictionaries more often, I think, though it depends what I'm doing. I'd probably prioritize IVP over ZIBBCOT.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 670
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 6 2017 6:15 AM

Yes, thank you.

I guess what I wanted to ask is if there are equally respected resources in the same "class" as the IVP Blacks and Anchor Yale Dictionary that I should consider?

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 6 2017 6:23 AM

I am not aware of dictionaries that are really doing the same thing as the IVP "blacks". These are really very useful to study specific themes in specific types of biblical books. They are also rather recent and so the scholarship is current.

The dictionary that is most often compared with Anchor (in the Logos ecosystem) is https://www.logos.com/product/8801/new-interpreters-dictionary-of-the-bible. There are discussions of this on the forums

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS