Question about Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture set

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 76
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 6 2017 6:43 AM

So, I see the Ancient Christian Commentary set is on sale right now:

https://www.logos.com/product/31152/ancient-christian-commentary-on-scripture-complete-set-updated-edition 

I'm trying to determine how useful this set would be to have. It seems to have pretty high marks in terms of being a good commentary set. However, my main question is what additional value it provides in Logos that a Logos search of Schaff's Early Church Fathers set would not already provide. From what I have read, this commentary set draws pretty heavily from Schaff's set. Is that accurate? Does it draw from other writings of the Fathers that are not in Schaff?

Certainly, a set like this would make it easier to find the passages from the Church Fathers as it would eliminate the search step. But I'm not sure it would be worth it just for that.

Any input is welcome. Thanks!

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 6 2017 6:51 AM

I definitely find it more useful then trying to sift through the Early Church Fathers writings.  I don't use it as much as I thought I would when I purchased it, but I do use it.  It is a good set and one I am glad I have.

Posts 2898
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 6 2017 7:03 AM

If you want to know the Church Fathers understanding of a particular verse, the ACC is by far the best source.  You get the most relative and profound comments of the Church Fathers on a particular verse, based on the expertise of scholars (such as Tom Oden) who have given a lifetime studying the Church Fathers.  There is no way you do the same thing spending a couple of hours reading through Schaff.

On the other hand, if you are interested in doing an in depth study of the theology of a particular Church Father, then probably hours reading through Schaff would be better than the ACC.  (Although, there are probably better editions of the Church Fathers than Schaff.)

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5573
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 7 2017 2:16 PM

Michael Childs:
  (Although, there are probably better editions of the Church Fathers than Schaff.)

Both the Ancient Christian Writers and Fathers of the Church series are vastly superior--and available from FaithLife.

Posts 45
David Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 8 2017 11:19 AM

You probably know, but ACC is included in the Standard Gold Base Package.  Depending on the contents of your current library, you may be able to get ACC plus additional resources for not too much more money than for ACC by itself.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS