Anyone have any thoughts on this Mobile Ed, BI171 End Times Interpretation?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 5130
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 9 2017 11:01 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/120245/mobile-ed-bi171-problems-in-bible-interpretation-why-do-christians-disagree-about-end-times

This course sounded interesting to me at first but I recently went to the faithlife group to see what resources it will utilize when it ships and it is overwhelming inked to Amillenialism... I thought Heiser was more of a Premillenial but I guess I was wrong.

https://faithlife.com/bi171/documents

Not trying to start an "End Times" fight here but I was thinking this would be more balanced unless I'm reading something wrong

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 9 2017 11:30 AM

The course itself is apparently an "introduction to some of the issues that undermine consensus in eschatology... but ... still good for exposing the problems to beginners (or people sheltered from the difficulties of eschatology)."

For more details about the topic, Dr. Heiser has written a 15-part series on Why an Obsession with Eschatology is a Waste of Time

What about this course that presents perspectives on the different views?

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 5130
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 9 2017 2:01 PM

Thank you sir!

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 9 2017 5:17 PM

You're welcome (although I'm just a regular person)!

Posts 670
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 10 2017 6:54 AM

Is Dr. Heiser a fellow Amiller?

Posts 410
LogosEmployee
Miles Custis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 10 2017 11:09 AM

I wouldn't read too much into the specific resources that the course links to. The purpose of Dr. Heiser's course is to explain why people disagree about the end times, not to promote a specific view of it. In the course he looks at some of the specific key issues that cause disagreement and the underlying interpretive principles behind some of the views.

Here's a section from his intro:

As far as my own position, I am more concerned with getting you to think about what you need to think about than me telling you what I believe. In this course, I am not going to do that. I am just going to try to lead you along a certain route, certain pathways of discovery, so that really in the end we accomplish what I think is a more important goal: that you are helped in some way to ask yourself why you believe what you believe—not “What does Mike believe?” but “Why do I believe what I believe?” That’s the question I want planted in your mind. As we go through the course, I think that you’ll find that there is an awful lot to think about, as you probably didn’t realize, as far as “Why do we disagree about this stuff?”

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 10 2017 12:51 PM

Thanks, Miles, that's very helpful!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS