Education - Vyrso vs. Logos? - Exalting Jesus Commentary

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 12 2017 6:21 AM

Hey All,

I'm seeing the "Exalting Jesus" series showing up in Vyrso, but not in Logos.  As I see myself wanting to own the set at some point down the road, I'm wondering if it will ever be a logos set with better indexing or integration, or will Vyrso be as far as it goes.

What are the pro's and cons of picking up in Vyrso vs. waiting until it may be in Logos - and what principles guide Logos' decision to have it in one format or the other?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance, and Thanks to Logos for the service you've provided me over the years...it truly has been life changing!

Posts 10887
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 6:42 AM

Derek Browning:
What are the pro's and cons of picking up in Vyrso vs. waiting until it may be in Logos - and what principles guide Logos' decision to have it in one format or the other?

pro Vyrso:

• much better price
  • available now
  • may be your only opportunity to get them into your Logos library

pro Logos:

• better integration into the Logos environment (i.e. direct references to existing Logos resources may be tagged as such)
  • manual control of bible references (which may go wrong in Vyrso's automatic tagging under certain circumstances)

Logos' decision about the brand certain resources are sold under is actually very often the publisher's decision, since vastly different contracts apply - and some publishers prefer to contract only Vyrso for some or even all of their resources. If Logos is free to decide, they typically tend to have books with a lower integration into the environment in Vyrso (i.e. fiction, "christian living" into Vyrso, commentaries, sytematic theologies and scholarly works in Logos). They then refrain from taking works into Vyrso that may at some point in time come to Logos - and they remove them from Vyrso if they feel some works could at some point in time make it into Logos. If this doesn't materialize, the resources appear in neither store. If it does, expect a multi-year waiting period.

Since the resources you asked about are commentaries in the Vyrso platform, and noting that Faithlife once firmly believed and many people still believe that this platform is ill-suited for this Genre, it seems to me the publisher forced this decision onto Faithlife and we won't ever see them in Logos.

However, there's one additional thing for Vyrso: if a resource exists in Vyrso, and Faithlife subsequently decides to publish it in Logos format, owners of the Vyrso edition will receive a free copy of the Logos edition. So, there's nothing to hold you back buying all of them in Vyrso (as long as they still are there).    

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 28560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 6:54 AM

Mick has already given you a great answer, but here is my concise answer:

1. If you really need the resource, get it. 
  2. If you would like to have the resource, and if it is CHEAP, get it. 
  3. If you don't REALLY need it, and it isn't discounted, don't get it.

As Mick mentioned, there is a <possibility> that these resources would migrate to Logos... It does happen regularly... but: It isn't FL's intention to sell resources in Vyrso which it knows it will be putting into Logos. If a resource FL wants as a Logos edition is in Vyrso, it is either by accident OR (more likely) because it appears to FL that the resource won't be able to be put into Logos (i.e. because the publisher doesn't want to license the resource that way). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10887
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 7:40 AM

alabama24:
there is a <possibility> that these resources would migrate to Logos... It does happen regularly... but: It isn't FL's intention to sell resources in Vyrso which it knows it will be putting into Logos. If a resource FL wants as a Logos edition is in Vyrso, it is either by accident OR (more likely) because it appears to FL that the resource won't be able to be put into Logos (i.e. because the publisher doesn't want to license the resource that way). 

yep. It seems B&H Academics likes to publish with Vyrso (which is a good thing), but much less so with Logos.  

Regarding Alabama's concise advice: I follow his points 2 & 3 of it when it comes to "Exalting Jesus", meaning I own 7 of them (that were discounted at one point in time - $2.99 each - what a steal!), but not those that always go for full price of around $10 each. 

Regarding the 'pro-Logos' bullets I wrote up above, you may want to check the following screenshot:

This is an arbitrary page from "Exalting Jesus in 1 & 2 Thessalonians"

green: 12 bible references picked up okay by Vyrso's automatic book compiler
red: the 1 incomplete reference to 1 Thess 1:1 that Vyrso gets wrong, linking it to the last detected bible book, Luke
amber: two references to other books (Green's Pillar Series commentary, Bonhoeffers 'Discipleship') which I even happen to own in Logos, but would require manual tagging).

A Logos edition would have the same text and everything marked green, but would have the correct reference in the red box and links in the two amber boxes (hopefully), that's the difference. Faithlife typically won't change/add such references for Vyrso books (there once was a Faithlife group 'Typos', now largely dormant, which helped out by supplying such references as Community Notes). 

As for the time being this commentary series is available in Vyrso, so live with the nuisances when you need/want the book and the price is okay.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 28560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 7:56 AM

NB.Mick:
I own 7 of them

Me too! Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 7508
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 8:19 AM

I own 7 in Vyrso and 16 in another software. The other software had a sale all 16 for $40 bucks 👍

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS