Possible to rebuild a personal book without losing the notes?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Terry Nolan Purtell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 15 2017 9:55 AM

I have a personal book that I use for teaching a class. I have added extensive notes to it.

Now I am noticing some typos that I would really like to fix, but I don't want to lose my notes.

Is this possible?

Logos 7.5 on Windows 10.

Thanks

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 15 2017 10:08 AM

I think there is a good chance you will lose the notes. If you are adventurous and willing to lose your notes, I would try this (but see if anyone else chimes in first!): 

• Create a duplicate copy of the .docx file as originally compiled. 
  • Recompile with the revised .docx file.
  • Check for notes/glitches. 
  • If it isn't to your satisfaction, recompile with the original .docx file. 

I <believe> that would work, but I don't know for sure. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 15 2017 10:18 AM

Terry Nolan Purtell:
Now I am noticing some typos that I would really like to fix, but I don't want to lose my notes.

You shouldn't lose your notes, if the changes are minor. If you make changes to the structure of the document, you'll likely lose notes in that part of the document.

In any case you'll need to rebuilt the existing document (with the updated Word file). If you create a new PB, you'll definitely lose your notes.

I should add that I haven't actually tried this myself, but I was told by one of the developers responsible for Personal Books that the compiler "attempts to match articles from a previous book build to articles in the new book build (accounting for typo correction, wording changes, etc)".  I'm presuming it does that in an attempt to preserve highlighting/notes.

Posts 8
Terry Nolan Purtell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 12:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take what precautions I can and try it after I finish teaching it next week. Especially if I can export the note file so that the worst would be that I have to reattach the notes to the proper locations.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS