Historical Commentaries?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1347
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 25 2017 10:42 PM

This is not strictly a logos question, but google has not been much use. I'm trying to compile a list of Bible commentaries published in America (and ideally written by Americans) before 1864, either general commentaries or focused on Genesis. 

Suggestions on where to look, other than the "Classic Commentaries on Genesis" bundle? 

I don't necessarily need to read these, just generate a list. I suspect there is one somewhere out there in the vast internet, but darned if I can find it.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 3649
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 26 2017 12:59 AM

The best I can suggest is to use worldcat.org. The following link uses Bible commentaries on Genesis and English as language as criteria. You can refine by date and the list shows the publication house location and allows you to see quickly if it is in the US:

https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su%3ABible.+Genesis+Commentaries.&dblist=638&fq=ln%3Aeng&qt=facet_ln%3A

Posts 2248
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 26 2017 3:03 AM

Maybe this is helpful: https://openlibrary.org/

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1958
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 26 2017 4:16 AM

Could you look through the bibliographies of some of the volumes you may have from the classic commentaries sets?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1347
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 10:01 AM

Thanks, all.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 12:15 PM

Joseph Turner:

Could you look through the bibliographies of some of the volumes you may have from the classic commentaries sets?

I did this with Joseph Addison Alexander's About the Prophecies of Isaiah: Translated and Explained, Vol 1 published in 1870 and came to appreciate two things:

- Perhaps Alexander was focused on historical theology, but he interacted with commenters and authors from what seemed like more varying time periods than current commentaries

- With less commentaries to interact with, the weight given to each commentary Alexander interacted with seemed to be greater.

...All that to say Joseph Turner is on the right track

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS