DTS Curated package

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 1 2017 9:13 AM

I just watched the latest edition of Faithlife Today. At the end of the episode they feature a video segment on the partnership between Dallas Theological Seminary and Logos Bible Software. My understanding is that DTS provides each full-time student with Logos Silver plus a collection of resources that their faculty have curated that are consistent with the DTS heritage. Is anyone aware if the DTS collection is available for purchase (with dynamic pricing) for non DTS students?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 9:33 AM

Great question. I would be very interested in this package as well.

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 10:08 AM

Greg Corbin:

Great question. I would be very interested in this package as well.

Yes, very interested!

Posts 2345
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 10:29 AM

Does this help?

https://www.logos.com/academic-solutions 

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 11:06 AM

http://www.dts.edu/logos/

Has a spread sheet you can download listing the over 900 items in their special collection.

-dan

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 11:59 AM

Dan Francis:

http://www.dts.edu/logos/

Has a spread sheet you can download listing the over 900 items in their special collection.

-dan

I do not see that spread sheet

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 1:40 PM

Scroll down . . . link in this section . . .

The Best Biblical Resources

The DTS Logos bundle is a modified version of the Logos Silver package along with several key resources that will benefit students in their study.

DTS students will be given access to one of two collections of scholarly resources for powerful research. Both libraries are comparable in the amount of resources and depth. All DTS student libraries include the following resources: see the full list.

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 1:48 PM

Thanks. I see it now.  Would be really nice if this was on the logos website to show what we do not own

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 1:51 PM

Jerry Smith:

Scroll down . . . link in this section . . .

The Best Biblical Resources

The DTS Logos bundle is a modified version of the Logos Silver package along with several key resources that will benefit students in their study.

DTS students will be given access to one of two collections of scholarly resources for powerful research. Both libraries are comparable in the amount of resources and depth. All DTS student libraries include the following resources: see the full list.

Thank you.  I have an email into the academic dept at Logos to see if the package is available (with Dynamic Pricing & my academic discount from the other seminary I am attending).

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 2:23 PM

David Thomas:
 I have an email into the academic dept at Logos to see if the package is available (with Dynamic Pricing & my academic discount from the other seminary I am attending).

Please let us know what they say as to whether the package is available for anyone who wishes to purchase it with dynamic pricing

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 4:37 PM

Mark:
Please let us know what they say

will do

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 3 2017 10:06 AM

Mark:
Please let us know what they say as to whether the package is available for anyone who wishes to purchase it with dynamic pricing

This is what I received via email from the Academic Program coordinator, "The package that has been provided to Dallas Theological Seminary has not been placed into a collection that is available for general purchase.  At this time, there are no plans to make it available in this way.

We would love to have special curated collections with every school – including yours!"

I may be wrong, but I doubt this will happen with my seminary due to partnership with Lifeway which owns a competing Bible Software/library program.

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 3 2017 12:17 PM

David Thomas:

I may be wrong, but I doubt this will happen with my seminary due to partnership with Lifeway which owns a competing Bible Software/library program.

And that software can hardly be considered academic quality. 

You ought to take the time to ask for a deal with Logos. If they are not offering a good deal with the other software, show them the DTS spreadsheet (remembering that they give students all of the Silver package as well) as an example of the academic offerings Logos has.

Your seminary denomination has authors in Logos. The NAC is published by B&H. It isn't a losing proposition for them.

Unless you ask, and ask again, it will not likely happen. It should.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 8:57 AM

Mark Smith:
And that software can hardly be considered academic quality. 

I agree. The only reason I still have it on my computer is because of the Lesson Maker feature that I first obtained before Lifeway purchased WordSearch - I go back to the 3.5" floppies.

Mark Smith:
Your seminary denomination has authors in Logos. The NAC is published by B&H

Yes, I told the academic department how often I use Vyrso editions of BH books.

Mark Smith:
Unless you ask, and ask again, it will not likely happen.

Limited time and emotional resources, Every pastor learns to pick his battles because not every hill is worth the casualties.  I just googled the church you pastor to find out which flavor of Baptist describes you. I'd be glad to reap the rewards if you want to lead this charge. Big Smile The President of MBTS and I are members of the same church, maybe a passing word between services will get the ball rolling. 

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 9:21 AM

David Thomas:

Mark Smith:
Unless you ask, and ask again, it will not likely happen.

Limited time and emotional resources, Every pastor learns to pick his battles because not every hill is worth the casualties.  I just googled the church you pastor to find out which flavor of Baptist describes you. I'd be glad to reap the rewards if you want to lead this charge. Big Smile The President of MBTS and I are members of the same church, maybe a passing word between services will get the ball rolling. 

I would guess some faculty know of Logos. Because of narrow interests in academia, they may personally prefer another program so haven't given Logos for the seminary much thought. The academic discount, the possibility of offering a customized bundle, all the journals, the afore-mentioned Baptist resources, plus Logos' great features are strong sellling points. Of course, you know this. 

I know a number of SBC pastors that got wowed with that other software's presentations at the annual convention, bought it, then hardly ever used it. I don't wonder why.

No harm in opening up the discussion with the top guy.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 6:49 AM

Personally, I do not understand why Logos would not want to do this for any seminary that they have a package for - given the number of alumni that use Logos from each of these schools.  I am not a DTS grad, but I would be interested in the package because I am in agreement with them theologically and books by their faculty have greatly blessed my life.  Unless it has to do with student discounts, I don't know why they wouldn't want to drive sales in this way. Personally, I would understand if they gave me one price and a student another price.

Posts 640
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 9 2017 6:10 AM

David Thomas:

I just googled the church you pastor to find out which flavor of Baptist describes you.

I like that- "Which Flavor of Baptist"

I would be interested in seeing your categories of "flavors".

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 9 2017 6:29 AM

Greg Corbin:
Personally, I do not understand why Logos would not want to do this for any seminary that they have a package for - given the number of alumni that use Logos from each of these schools.

Still very interested in such a package!

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 9 2017 8:40 AM

Michael S.:
I would be interested in seeing your categories of "flavors".

I have had experience with a lot of diversity under the broad category of Baptist. Much of my upbringing was in Independent Fundamental Baptist (KJV-only). My father was ordained in the American Baptist (headquartered in Valley Forge, PA). Between those two extremes I have had very close fellowship with brothers in Converge Worldwide (formerly BGC) and North American Baptist. I now am employed at a Southern Baptist church.

This diversity is not only seen in the Baptist tradition. When I was pastoring in Wisconsin there were many more Lutherans, but I have come to learn that there is a world of difference between LCMS, WELS, and ELCA.

I realize labels can be divisive, and that is NOT my intent in identifying differences within a theological tradition. It just provides a frame of reference to begin with when dialoguing with a brother/sister in Christ.

From my description in the first paragraph you may be able to identify why I would appreciate a DTS curated resource collection.

Posts 640
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 9 2017 8:46 AM

David Thomas:

I have had experience with a lot of diversity under the broad category of Baptist. 

I realize labels can be divisive, and that is NOT my intent in identifying differences within a theological tradition. It just provides a frame of reference to begin with when dialoguing with a brother/sister in Christ.

I couldn't agree more.  I too was raised around independent fundamental baptist (KJO), and since conversion at 21, have attended SBC- yet I have outgrown my dispensational roots and am solidly in line with Reformed Baptists.  Interesting discussions for sure.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS