Searching all Greek Forms!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Daniel D. Defever | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:44 AM

When I search for δικαιοσύνῃ (specifically in Romans) ...the search result is only giving me the exact Form of δικαιοσύνῃ and it is not give me δικαιοσύνης, etc unless I specifically type in δικαιοσύνης. This result occurs no matter if it have "Match all word forms" checked or not.  Any suggestions?

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:52 AM

Daniel

I think you need to select Morph from the Basic|Bible|Morph buttons first, select your range and title and then type δικαιοσύνη in the search bar. That should produce results.

Perhaps you need to precede δικαιοσύνη with lemma:

Thus, lemma:δικαιοσύνη

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:54 AM

I think you need to search by "lemma: δικαιοσύνῃ"  you can either type lemma: before the root word

or right click on the word and choose lemma

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:57 AM

Alan beat me too it.. need to edit them pictures faster...

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 6
Daniel D. Defever | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:20 AM

I seem to strike out completely by adding "lemma:" to the search.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:21 AM

DominicM:
Alan beat me too it.. need to edit them pictures faster...

Not at all, Dominic. It was a team effort. You illustrated it. I couldn't do that because I don't have Logos 4, just Logos 4 Mac, where Morph searching is not yet available. Sad

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

Posts 6
Daniel D. Defever | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:22 AM

When I right click on the word, I only get an option for to cut, copy or paste.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:27 AM

Daniel D. Defever:

When I right click on the word, I only get an option for to cut, copy or paste.

That's puzzling, Daniel, because even on the Mac I get this popup, which displays all the options including lemma search, even though It doesn't work yet. Perhaps one of our PC folks can try it out.Tongue Tied

Posts 6
Daniel D. Defever | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:44 AM

Ok, I made a little progress. I am using the UBS4 version.  When I found the word there and Rt. Clicked on it I got the menu that you both show. When I search from there I get all word forms.  From there I was able to narrow my search by limiting it to Romans.  This is what Logos automatically put in the search bar this way. <Lemma = lbs/el/δικαιοσύνη> This is a little cumbersome.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:23 PM

Daniel D. Defever:

Ok, I made a little progress. I am using the UBS4 version.  When I found the word there and Rt. Clicked on it I got the menu that you both show. When I search from there I get all word forms.  From there I was able to narrow my search by limiting it to Romans.  This is what Logos automatically put in the search bar this way. <Lemma = lbs/el/δικαιοσύνη> This is a little cumbersome.

Daniel

You can do this easier with the morph search. Set your search range to Romans; set your search version (I like ESV); choose to use the Logos morphology. In the search box, type 'g:' (without the quotes -- this tells it you are entering a greek word) and begin typing your word. A popup will come up with words to choose. When you choose one of these words, it will replace what you had been typing in the search box with 'lemma:<greek word>'.

If you choose the 'Verses' display option, you can add another translation to the search results--such as UBS4 or NA27.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:30 PM

Gary O'Neal:
You can do this easier with the morph search.

Boy, am I ever looking forward to that facility in Logos 4 Mac. But, hey, I've learned something today. I can do right-click lemma searches in Mac A16a! Big Smile

Posts 6
Daniel D. Defever | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:55 PM

Thanks Gary, this seemed to work a bit easier, even if I used the UBS4 in the search.  I did notice this time, that δικαιοσύνη was listed twice, once with justice; righteousness following it.  If I chose this one, I got all the forms in the search.  If I chose the other, it would only give the exact form.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:09 PM

Daniel D. Defever:

Thanks Gary, this seemed to work a bit easier, even if I used the UBS4 in the search.  I did notice this time, that δικαιοσύνη was listed twice, once with justice; righteousness following it.  If I chose this one, I got all the forms in the search.  If I chose the other, it would only give the exact form.

You're right. I hadn't noticed this. The one with the definition gives you a lemma search (i.e. 'lemma:' is put in front of the word). The other gives you just a greek word search ('greek:' is put in front of the word). I noticed this in several test cases. The words with definitions do a lemma search; those without do a greek search.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS