Is Logos 8 coming out soon?

Page 4 of 6 (120 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 119 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 10:58 AM

Bill Bienia:
If you are thinking of upgrading, Logos just put out Logos 7 Fundamentals for $99 I believe. There is also a Logos 7 Basic for free. This will give you access to Logos 7 features

For clarification: The software is (and has always) been free. Some of the features, however, require licenses. Those may be acquired via a purchase OR through a "Faithlife Connect" subscription. The two things you mentioned do not provide access to all of the features. 

Also, please note: "Logos 7" really means two things. First, it means the software (Free for basic, purchase or subscription for some new features). Second, it means a "library" (collection of books). In reality, the two things are really unrelated, even though they are released at the same time. 

When L8 comes out, most all users should update to the L8 engine even if they do not intend to purchase a new library. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 12:29 PM

Well stated JT. as a long time Logos (back when they were switching from Libronix to Logos) you should always have the latest engine. Then you can update features that you want. I use to upgrade packages when it made sense, and now tend to be more selective.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 24847
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 5:12 PM

JT (alabama24):
When L8 comes out, most all users should update to the L8 engine even if they do not intend to purchase a new library. 

If not intending to purchase an L8 library, users will have to wait until the L8 engine is available for "free" (as per previous major releases), except that subscription users usually get the engine when it is released, together with some new features (depending on the subscription level).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 41
Deepak Kumar Singh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2018 7:38 PM

It's September now and no news yet of logos 8. Wondering if it is getting delayed?

Posts 4914
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2018 7:45 PM

There is no delay as FL have never said Logos 8 was being released. There has only been lots of speculation by people who have no knowledge of FL’s plans.

Deepak Kumar Singh:

It's September now and no news yet of logos 8. Wondering if it is getting delayed?

Posts 26277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2018 8:00 PM

Deepak Kumar Singh:

Given that Faithlife has indicated some interdependence between the new note system and Logos 8 and given that not all necessary features have been moved into the beta version of the new note system, I question the logic of those who expected to see it now or in the immediate future.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 3:53 AM

I could wait another year if I have to 👍😁👌

Posts 70
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 7:48 AM

MJ. Smith:

Given that Faithlife has indicated some interdependence between the new note system and Logos 8 and given that not all necessary features have been moved into the beta version of the new note system, I question the logic of those who expected to see it now or in the immediate future.

I agree.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 4:51 PM

In addition to what M.J. said, I would guess that the Logos 7 sale which just ended and the bundle sales which just started are ramping up for a release of Logos 8, but I would not think that they would release Logos 8 immediately after such a sale, as it might irritate some customers.  I guess it is possible though that they would release within the 30 day refund period in order to minimize such irritation.  My guess is Novemberish.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 36
Anthony Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 6:57 PM

Joseph Turner:

In addition to what M.J. said, I would guess that the Logos 7 sale which just ended and the bundle sales which just started are ramping up for a release of Logos 8, but I would not think that they would release Logos 8 immediately after such a sale, as it might irritate some customers.  I guess it is possible though that they would release within the 30 day refund period in order to minimize such irritation.  My guess is Novemberish.

Hopefully. I want to get myself a nice Christmas present :)

Posts 12
G.E. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:20 PM

I comment on the self-evident idea that FL are wanting people to buy a new base package.

I've been using the software ever since the LLS system soon after 1995, and frankly, after purchasing many thousands of dollars worth of books over several decades, I have most of what I need.

Now, there are specific books and commentary packages I want, but that somewhat depends on my budget at the time, since many of them are in the four figures.

I think, for FL to create a large pool of users (more business). I think Logos 8 or later should enable switching between two modes - simple and complex. Aim to make it simple enough for teenagers and non-techie people to use. Make it as simple as an iPhone.

In my church circle, hardly any of the people use Logos. It's mostly the pastors and senior people who are into "deep Bible study" who use Logos.

I think if FL can make in-roads into the teens and 20's market, this sets them up for long-term growth as people of these younger age segments mature into more detailed Bible studies.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 11:34 PM

My hope is that when it does come out, there will be a significant restructuring of the base packages, particularly at the upper tiers...I want Diamond, Portfolio, and Collector's to be chock full of new titles (i.e. things that have never been in base packages before). Last time CE7 had the Eerdmans Reference Bundle...it would be great if a comparable bundle from Baker, IVP, Fortress Press, or some other publisher were included--more than one would be even better. As a previous CE purchaser (x2) here, new quality titles will be the key to my "adoption".

Since I have the majority of Logos's multi-volume commentaries at present (as most previous CE purchasers will), L8 CE will need to include something more exotic, like the Brill LXX commentary, New Interpreter's, Sacra Pagina, Navarre, Moffat's, Berit Olam, Brazos, Concordia, Baylor, Paideia, and/or maybe even Smyth & Helwys. Something oddball like the Church of God Digital Library, or the Ugaritic Baal commentary would be a nice surprise.

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 5:42 AM

I’m guessing end of October or maybe they’ll break the mold and release on the 1st of December 👍😁👌

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 9:14 AM

DAL:

I’m guessing end of October or maybe they’ll break the mold and release on the 1st of December 👍😁👌

L8 apparently will be released once the new notes system is finished for desktop, web, and mobile platforms. That last estimate was February 2019, but that date might slip.

We all want L8 to ship, but not before it’s ready.

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 9:45 AM

PetahChristian:

DAL:

L8 apparently will be released once the new notes system is finished for desktop, web, and mobile platforms. That last estimate was February 2019, but that date might slip.

If that’s the case then I don’t mind waiting. I’d rather have something complete than something that’s going to be not very functional and requiring too many updates in a row 👍😁👌

Ok bring the good holiday sales then. 😜

Posts 575
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 11:01 AM

PetahChristian:

My Faithlife Connect subscription expires in February, as I'm sure is the case for many others. I was considering dropping it in favor of buying L8 when it comes out, but not if it means I would lose features in the meantime. 

Posts 123
Fred Littlefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 11:55 AM

I agree. Logos is very powerful, but it takes a lot of PC resources. Some larger resources open very slowly. I know it's not my PC, I have lots of RAM and Lots of fast CPU cores. I hope the new notes system is easier and more intuitive to use.

Posts 4914
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 6:55 PM

DAL:

PetahChristian:

DAL:

If that’s the case then I don’t mind waiting. I’d rather have something complete than something that’s going to be not very functional and requiring too many updates in a row 👍😁👌

Ok bring the good holiday sales then. 😜

I am more than happy to wait till the new notes system is ready. Releasing a new version with a disjointed, incomplete notes system when they most likely want to make this a feature to 'feature' in their promotion of Logos 8.

Really, we are not missing out of anything if was not  till early 2019 for its release as Petah suggested If this is near then mark, then in the meantime to fill the gap FL will continue to offer sales in order to keep up their cashflow and form time to time in those sales we'll all pick up something of interest. And those with existing payment plans will get a few more months to reduced their outstanding balance even further.  If you have money put aside waiting to spend on L8 then you can leave it growing in your bank for a little longer.  

Posts 4914
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 6:58 PM

David Paul:
My hope is that when it does come out, there will be a significant restructuring of the base packages, particularly at the upper tiers...I want Diamond, Portfolio, and Collector's to be chock full of new titles (i.e. things that have never been in base packages before).

Yes and No... because if they are chock full of new titles

well Yes because my library grows 

well No because that is going to cost me $$$$

David Paul:
Since I have the majority of Logos's multi-volume commentaries at present (as most previous CE purchasers will), L8 CE will need to include something more exotic, like the Brill LXX commentary, New Interpreter's, Sacra Pagina, Navarre, Moffat's, Berit Olam, Brazos, Concordia, Baylor, Paideia, and/or maybe even Smyth & Helwys. Something oddball like the Church of God Digital Library, or the Ugaritic Baal commentary would be a nice surprise.

Yes

Posts 3002
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 7:15 PM

Pam Larson:

PetahChristian:

My Faithlife Connect subscription expires in February, as I'm sure is the case for many others. I was considering dropping it in favor of buying L8 when it comes out, but not if it means I would lose features in the meantime. 

Personally I would keep it (depending on your level) because it includes all of the new features that L8 will introduce.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 4 of 6 (120 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS