Searching Figures of Speech

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 41
Orpheus Heyward | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 27 2017 9:35 AM

Can anyone provide some guidance on how to search for particular figures of speech. For example if I want to see passages that use a metonymy, how would I search that?  Thanks in advance. 

Posts 10556
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 27 2017 11:06 AM

Logos Pro has a video on Figures of Speech. This may help, but I have not watched it. The video begins with metonymy—Logos Pro 

Posts 24955
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 27 2017 11:37 AM

Orpheus Heyward:

Can anyone provide some guidance on how to search for particular figures of speech. For example if I want to see passages that use a metonymy, how would I search that?  Thanks in advance. 

See https://community.logos.com/forums/p/118378/776922.aspx but also see this comment.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 41
Orpheus Heyward | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 27 2017 9:33 PM

Thanks all.  When i do the search {Label Figures of Speech WHERE Name="simile"}, or whatever else,  it highlights the entire verse. Is there a way for logos to highlight the term or phrase that reflects this figure?

Posts 24955
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 27 2017 10:39 PM

Orpheus Heyward:
When i do the search {Label Figures of Speech WHERE Name="simile"}, or whatever else,  it highlights the entire verse. Is there a way for logos to highlight the term or phrase that reflects this figure?

No. You will have to seek an explanation from Bullinger's "Figures of Speech".

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 754
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 10 2017 8:39 AM

Orpheus Heyward:

If you're not tied to Bullinger's work, Faithlife has done their own extensive annotation of figurative language in the New Testament: see New Feature: Figurative Language and the Glossary. The different categories we annotated are described here.

You can search for examples of metonomy like this:

{Label Figurative Language WHERE Category ~ <FigurativeLanguageCategory Metonymy>}

(This should only highlight matching words, not the whole verse.)

Note you'll probably be surprised by the volume of results! Metonomy is pervasive in biblical literature (as in general English), so in many cases we read right past it without recognizing it. That's one advantage of the Figurative Language dataset: it helps identify things we'd otherwise miss. Another is that Faithlife's approach to figurative language is more up-to-date and less idiosyncratic than Bullinger's (but i'm biased because my team created it).

If you've got follow-up questions, feel free to share them here on the forums, or in the Faithlife Group we created for discussing this dataset: https://faithlife.com/lexham-figurative-language-dataset.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS