Suggestion: Highlighting interactive

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 13066
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 28 2017 7:25 AM

I'd love to see a highlighting interactive made available in Logos, so I could easily access my highlighting across different resources and palettes:

• The interactive would allow me to browse my highlights, using faceted browsing.
  • It would be split into two panels — the left panel containing the facets, and the right panel the quotes.
  • The right-hand panel would be similar to the Quotes view of a highlighting document.
  • It would let me switch between "By Style", and "By Resource".
  • When set to "By Style", the left-hand column would 
  • list of all my Palettes and Styles for which I currently have highlighting, and allow me to drill down to select what I want, with the matching quotes appearing in the right panel, grouped by resource. Palettes and Styles I'm not using would be ignored.
  • When set to "By Resource", the left-hand column would list all the resources where I have highlighting. I could select the one I want. The right-hand panel would then show those quotes, grouped by palette and style. Ideally, there would be additional metadata from the library, so I could also choose filter my list by authors, subjects and tags.

The reason for the interactive is that we currently have to choose where we store our highlighting.

• If we store "by resource", we can't easily see all the resources where he have yellow highlighting. (We can do a search, but it only shows snippets, and the syntax can be hard to remember.)
  • If we store in palette specific documents, we can easily see all the yellow highlighting, but we can't easily see all the highlights in a particular book.

If we have an interactive, we'd have the best of both worlds, regardless of how we stored our highlights.

Who agrees with me? Is there anything else you'd like to see a highlighting interactive accomplish?

Posts 2009
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 3:46 PM

Great Idea.  I would use this a lot.

I hope there would be a good way to copy / print selected highlights as well.

Posts 977
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 9:42 AM

Man, I'd almost kill for this feature. Lol 😂 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 9038
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 10:30 AM

Mark, I agree with your idea.

I've tried to develop good habits of segregating my highlights in resource-specific and Bible book-specific files, but early on I didn't and do have highlights scattered across palates and styles in a single resource. This would help me for those situations.

I like the idea of being able to select a specific style of highlighting to browse. Yes we can search, but this would make the process easier.

I think this is a browser-style addition similar to the Bible browser, but FL can call it whatever it wants.

However it is implemented, we need to be able to Export/Print the results.

FL has all of the parts needed to put something like this together, so I think it could be done rather quickly if they choose to do it (and I hope they will).

Thanks for the good suggestion.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 738
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 12:07 PM

I was intrigued by the term "faceted browsing", which was new to me.  I pay attention to new technologies mentioned on Logos forums after encountering mind maps here for the first time.

After spending two hours searching the web and reading a published paper evaluating the use of faceted searching for library catalogues, I conclude that perhaps the "faceted browsing" aspect might be the more interesting part of the proposal.  I have wanted the ability to refine searches by searching over prior search results in some manner.  With Logos, I have to refine the search terms by adding more complexity with layers of syntactic cruft.

I suggest that Logos engineers examine the faceted browsing used by people who manage big data stores, but implement Mark's suggestion as the first installment.

Posts 21530
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 2:25 PM

David

i don't know if you have seen this but some of the current tools / Interactives use faceted browsing already.

New Testament Use of the Old Testament is an example as is the Bible Browser 

Posts 738
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 3:09 PM

Graham,

No, I hadn't seen these, yet.  I am still trying to get my feet on the ground with Logos 7 and be prepared to provide some tutorial help for some Logos newbies at our church.  Thus, I have been re-honing my knowledge of prioritization, notes, highlighting, and searches.  I started to go through the new tool sets, but hit a roadblock when my son pointed out the new Courses tool.  It is great!  But I have allowed a course on Calvin's theology to soak up some of my extra time.

Thanks.  I'll take a look.

Posts 738
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 4:33 PM

Graham Criddle:

David

i don't know if you have seen this but some of the current tools / Interactives use faceted browsing already.

New Testament Use of the Old Testament is an example as is the Bible Browser 

The New Testament Use of the Old Testament is really interesting.  However, I was amazed that the N.T. references quit at Rev 2:20!  John was just getting going! :)

How does this short list jive with Carson & Beale:

"No other book of the NT is as permeated by the OT as is Revelation. Although its author seldom quotes the OT directly, allusions and echoes are found in almost every verse of the book."

Beale, G. K., & McDonough, S. M. (2007). Revelation. In Commentary on the New Testament use of the Old Testament (p. 1081). Grand Rapids, MI;  Nottingham, UK: Baker Academic;  Apollos.

Posts 226
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 4:37 PM

Where do we go to vote for this!  Would upgrade to the Extended Features Package for this alone!

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 738
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 4:46 PM

After trying out one of the other faceted searches, I would vote for it, as well.  But I think it has to be officially submitted before we can "vote".

Posts 226
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 3:27 AM

Additional feature. Batch Drag and Drop or Cut and Paste! Make it easy to move highlights around between palettes and resources. This is probably a bridge too far . . .

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 7895
LogosEmployee

David A Egolf:
However, I was amazed that the N.T. references quit at Rev 2:20! 

I can't reproduce this problem; my copy of the interactive shows almost 600 allusions/citations in Revelation.

Posts 1720
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 3:25 PM

Mark Barnes:

If we have an interactive, we'd have the best of both worlds, regardless of how we stored our highlights.

Who agrees with me?

YesYes

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 738
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 6:05 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

David A Egolf:
However, I was amazed that the N.T. references quit at Rev 2:20

I can't reproduce this problem; my copy of the interactive shows almost 600 allusions/citations in Revelation.

Actually, after about 10 minutes of stalling, the rest of the Revelation citations showed up.  However, as soon as I closed and opened the panel, it hung up at the same place.  I restarted Logos and duplicated the same sluggish behavior.  The rest of the Logos program does not "hang" during the period.  Even the panel itself responds to further input.  But it sure balks after Rev 2:20 when ALL is selected.

I was operating on a MS Surface Book running Windows 10.  It has an SSD drive with plenty of space.

I have just duplicated the problem on my ThinkPad laptop running Windows 7 with a normal HDD.

The reference count for Revelation is correct at 590, but if I leave the panel set to the default, ALL, then after struggling to pull down the slide to the bottom (it keeps refreshing as it is building the report), the report ends on Rev 2:20. 

If I select Revelation, then all the verses of Revelation display fairly rapidly.  After seeing that display, I went back to All (2572) and as I am typing in this paragraph, it is still "stuck" at Rev 2:20.

I just clicked above the slider, then pulled it back down.  It is still stuck on Rev 2:20.

Posts 1754
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 11:48 PM

Mark Barnes:

I'd love to see a highlighting interactive made available in Logos, so I could easily access my highlighting across different resources and palettes:

• The interactive would allow me to browse my highlights, using faceted browsing.
  • It would be split into two panels — the left panel containing the facets, and the right panel the quotes.
  • The right-hand panel would be similar to the Quotes view of a highlighting document.
  • It would let me switch between "By Style", and "By Resource".
  • When set to "By Style", the left-hand column would 
  • list of all my Palettes and Styles for which I currently have highlighting, and allow me to drill down to select what I want, with the matching quotes appearing in the right panel, grouped by resource. Palettes and Styles I'm not using would be ignored.
  • When set to "By Resource", the left-hand column would list all the resources where I have highlighting. I could select the one I want. The right-hand panel would then show those quotes, grouped by palette and style. Ideally, there would be additional metadata from the library, so I could also choose filter my list by authors, subjects and tags.

The reason for the interactive is that we currently have to choose where we store our highlighting.

• If we store "by resource", we can't easily see all the resources where he have yellow highlighting. (We can do a search, but it only shows snippets, and the syntax can be hard to remember.)
  • If we store in palette specific documents, we can easily see all the yellow highlighting, but we can't easily see all the highlights in a particular book.

Who agrees with me? Is there anything else you'd like to see a highlighting interactive accomplish?

Good news, Mark: our new notes platform that we're beginning to develop internally was designed to address almost all of these issues.

1. Notes, highlights, and clippings are all stored in a single database.
  2. Every note, highlight, or clipping has a wealth of metadata associated with it (e.g., when you took it, where you took it, what resource it's in, what reference it's on, what text string it's attached to, what style you used).
  3. Faceted browsing lets you filter down to the notes, highlights, or clippings that match the things you care about.
  4. Multiple viewing options allow you to choose how to display your note content, the associated context, etc.

I think you're going to love it.

(Disclaimer: design and initial implementation may not be identical, so please understand that aspects of what I describe above may be absence from v1.)

Posts 281
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 1 2017 2:29 AM

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

Posts 13066
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 1 2017 2:35 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

It certainly sounds great! I guess we'll have to wait for Logos 8 for it.

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 1 2017 8:04 AM

David A Egolf:

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

David A Egolf:
However, I was amazed that the N.T. references quit at Rev 2:20

Actually, after about 10 minutes of stalling, the rest of the Revelation citations showed up.  However, as soon as I closed and opened the panel, it hung up at the same place.  I restarted Logos and duplicated the same sluggish behavior.  The rest of the Logos program does not "hang" during the period.  Even the panel itself responds to further input.  But it sure balks after Rev 2:20 when ALL is selected.

I was operating on a MS Surface Book running Windows 10.  It has an SSD drive with plenty of space.

I have just duplicated the problem on my ThinkPad laptop running Windows 7 with a normal HDD.

The reference count for Revelation is correct at 590, but if I leave the panel set to the default, ALL, then after struggling to pull down the slide to the bottom (it keeps refreshing as it is building the report), the report ends on Rev 2:20. 

If I select Revelation, then all the verses of Revelation display fairly rapidly.  After seeing that display, I went back to All (2572) and as I am typing in this paragraph, it is still "stuck" at Rev 2:20.

I just clicked above the slider, then pulled it back down.  It is still stuck on Rev 2:20.

I can reproduce this if I scroll through the references, rather than selecting Revelation as the NT book, but I imagine that's not the way most people use this tool (it certainly isn't how I would use this tool). 

David, might I suggest clicking on Revelation on the toolbar on the left under the "Book (NT)" header?

💻15" MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013) | 2.6 GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD💻
🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
⌨Logos 7 Extended Feature Set⌨
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 1754
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 1 2017 12:26 PM

Mark Barnes:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

It certainly sounds great! I guess we'll have to wait for Logos 8 for it.

Hopefully not. It should start to make its way into the web app later this year. Timing for the desktop app is still TBD, but our current plans are not to hold it for Logos 8.

Posts 2969
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 1 2017 1:01 PM

Mark Barnes:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

It certainly sounds great!

Thanks Phil, and FL! Looking forward to this new notes platform!

Hoping that the new note attachments will work within the courses tool, and properly display with RTL languages.

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS