Search for <Topic Burning Bush>

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 716
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 9:01 AM

Dear all,

Many thanks for the helpful discussion. Also thank you, KS4J, for posting the bug report in the Beta forum. Here are my screenshots using the search parameters suggested by Logos:

Overall, my observation is: What is meant to be a very quick search turns into a significant challenge using non-intuitive search syntax. If I google for

bible moses burning bush

I get the Bible reference immediately. 

Armin

Posts 2055
LogosEmployee

Armin:

Overall, my observation is: What is meant to be a very quick search turns into a significant challenge using non-intuitive search syntax. If I google for

bible moses burning bush

I get the Bible reference immediately. 

You might find that the Fuzzy Bible Search feature meets your needs. Go to Basic search. Click where it says "All Resources" and select "Everything". Then enter your search and take a look at the "Fuzzy Bible Search" section.

Posts 716
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 9:44 AM

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your helpful reply. Yes, it did work for me.

I know that Logos does a superb job on very precise searches for experts. This is great and needed. But since I am not an expert, I find that Logos lacks intuitiveness. In this case, let me point out two things:

1) As mentioned earlier, Logos has the great feature of suggesting a search term. This has helped me many times. However, in this case the suggested search term was misleading.

2) To do the fuzzy Bible search, I need to go to "Basic", not "Bible". Then I need to search "Everything", not "Bible". My intuition would say: To search for something in the Bible, I select the Bible search, and then search the Bible.

Just some food for thought.

Posts 24704
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 4:42 PM

David A Egolf:

Dave,

Thanks a lot for your analysis and persistence.  That was very helpful for me!

Using the search categories introduced with Logos 6 isn't easy for most users, and I just wish that Faithlife would fix their search suggestions to prevent this sort of confusion. Removing "Match equivalent references" would be a start!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 74
MikeG53 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 9 2017 12:41 PM

Andrew - Do we need a special package to do the fuzzy search?  I have Verbum 7 full feature and don't see Fuzzy Bible Search?

Thanks, Mike

Posts 21714
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 9 2017 12:55 PM

MikeG53:

Andrew - Do we need a special package to do the fuzzy search?  I have Verbum 7 full feature and don't see Fuzzy Bible Search?

Thanks, Mike

Fuzzy Search is found in a Basic Search for Everything

Did you try there?

Posts 1379
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 9 2017 2:31 PM

I started to read through this thread because in general, doing searches in Logos continues to be an exasperating experience for me so I try to pick up tips and tricks from others.  I intend to come back to this thread when I can take the time it appears I will need to read through each post s-l-o-w-l-y and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y.  But it just seems to me that there are too many times that people create threads on problems they're having with searches, and often (too, too, often IMO), what they find out is that their search isn't working because they're not using the right approach/method/tool/syntax/search string, EVEN THOUGH they have opted to select a search suggestion provided by Logos based on the search approach/method/tool/syntax/search string the person was using.  THAT JUST SHOULDN'T HAPPEN SHOULD IT?

I love the great variety and number of resources available in Logos, but when it comes to moving beyond the straight forward reading of those resources and attempting research, before getting started I often find myself in a quandary about where and how to start.  What approach/method/tool/syntax/search string combination do I need to use?  AND ...even if I do get some results back, how do I know if the result set I get back is poor, fair, good, or excellent in comparison to what it could be, if I don't even know whether the approach/method/tool/syntax/search string I used is a poor, fair, good, or excellent choice?  Crying

OK ...got that off my chest.  Will come back later to read through the very helpful posts so kindly presented by forum members who continue to give and give and give of their time and knowledge.  Thank you for the bounty of help you continuously provide.  Smile

Posts 2055
LogosEmployee

MikeG53:

Thanks, Mike

Fuzzy Bible Search is available through a Verbum Now subscription: https://verbum.com/now

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS