Why isn't this search exhaustive?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Jace Schwartz | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 30 2017 11:57 AM

Hello! 

As I was reading Malachi 3:16, stumbled across the phrase סֵ֣פֶר זִכָּר֤וֹן "book of remembrance" 

I wanted to learn more about this, and so I began a search using the Hebrew roots: ספר  and זכר

What came up was a great list of many instances where those roots appear together, but as you can see, the search was not exhaustive. For example, Mal 3:16, the verse I was using as a reference, wasn't even listed! In addition to this, I am also aware of a verse in Ex 17 where these two roots appear together, and it also did not show up. 

I'm assuming that this is a user-error thing. Am I not searching this correctly? Thoughts?

by the way, this issue is not a matter of scrolling up and down. Neh 13:13 is the last verse listed, and 1 Kings 4:3 is the first verse listed

Posts 2
Jace Schwartz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 12:15 PM

here is another example. Mal 3:18 employs the three roots which I searched, and yet, Mal 3:18 does not show up in my list of verses which use these three roots. So strange. What am I doing wrong?

Posts 21574
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 1:23 PM

Jace Schwartz:
What came up was a great list of many instances where those roots appear together, but as you can see, the search was not exhaustive. For example, Mal 3:16, the verse I was using as a reference, wasn't even listed! In addition to this, I am also aware of a verse in Ex 17 where these two roots appear together, and it also did not show up. 

Very strange

As you can see it works for me - and I get the Ex 17 results as well

It could potentially be an indexing issue but I'm not sure - hopefully someone else will be able to comment further

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 1:40 PM

Jace Schwartz:

Hello! 

As I was reading Malachi 3:16, stumbled across the phrase סֵ֣פֶר זִכָּר֤וֹן "book of remembrance" 

I wanted to learn more about this, and so I began a search using the Hebrew roots: ספר  and זכר

I'm assuming that this is a user-error thing. Am I not searching this correctly? Thoughts?

by the way, this issue is not a matter of scrolling up and down. Neh 13:13 is the last verse listed, and 1 Kings 4:3 is the first verse listed

I noticed that when you're running this search, your picture and also the text you pasted here lacks the markings (sorry, I'm still VERY unfamiliar with Hebrew- I don't know exactly what they're called) that Graham's has and mine had when I successfully searched, and yours only has the letters, ספר. Maybe try right clicking on the word ספר in Malachi 3:16 and selecting the root there, and selecting "copy". Then paste that into your search. It should yield the results you're looking for. 

💻15" MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013) | 2.6 GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD💻
🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
⌨Logos 7 Extended Feature Set⌨
🌐Logos Now🌐

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS