Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 40
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 16 2017 5:13 AM

When I tried to see in the NASB interlinear the gender of the nouns in Dan 8:12, many nouns therein do not indicate gender. The same in the interlinear of ESV and other versions. But when I look in the old Libronix I can see all the genders in the interlinear of ESV in Dan 8:12. Why? How to see the gender in Logos? (Sorry I am using Logos 5.) Thanks in advance.

Posts 7459
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 16 2017 10:33 AM

I'm guessing that this is a difference between the Andersen-Forbes morphology (used in the ESV reverse interlinear in LDLS3) and the LHB morphology (used in reverse interlinears in Logos 5 and later).

See https://community.logos.com/forums/p/58739/417964.aspx#417964 and https://community.logos.com/forums/p/67165/468276.aspx#468276 for details on this change.

Posts 12348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 16 2017 1:19 PM

Theo Lau:
Sorry I am using Logos 5

Any reason why you haven't taken advantage of the free upgrade to Logos 7? You'll keep all your existing resources, so there's nothing to lose. (This won't help with this particular issue, but there are many other good reasons to upgrade.)

Posts 40
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 17 2017 1:23 AM

I am using Windows Vista. If I upgrade, I need time to change computer (I am busy). Lesser reason: I need to spend money to change computer. 

But I believe even I upgrade, I still cannot see the gender of many nouns. Even ESV interlinear does not show them now, for it seems all interlinears have changed, no longer using Andersen-Forbes which shows many nouns' genders.

Can I still see the genders of all nouns? This is my important question.

Posts 9304
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 17 2017 8:55 AM

Thao, that's one of many reasons I still use Libronix (Libby).  Along with Logos7.

But if you want gender in Logos.x, as the above discussion indicates, you can buy the Andersen-Forbes phrase marker resource. This adds visualization, phrases, etc to the hebrew interlinear. Note that you loose some hebrew details, as discussed. But it also has an alternative morph system for comparison.  They also had nice videos, to use its special features.

Issue: does Logos still sell it? Or you may have it, from Libronix.

WIVU is similar to Logos concerning gender.

Ironically, when I move hebrew morphology into my analytic software, first to go is gender! Eats up useless cycles.

Ignoring the security issues with Vista (worth your pennies to modernize), Logos5 was a nice version. L6 and L7 added features, while making compromises in speed.

Posts 484
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 17 2017 11:23 AM

Thao, if you don't already have the Enhanced Brown, Driver, Briggs Lexicon, you can get the Abridged edition for free. Both editions indicate gender. Here's the link: https://www.logos.com/product/677/the-abridged-brown-driver-briggs-hebrew-english-lexicon-of-the-old-testament

Posts 40
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 5:12 AM

Thanks to all who have helped. I have Enhanced Brown, Driver, Briggs Lexicon. But I want to see the genders of all nouns in interlinear in my Logos 5. If not, I can only rely on the old Libronix that has the Andersen-Forbes.

Why doesn't Logos improve by using Andersen-Forbes that shows all the genders of nouns in interlinears?

Has anyone suggest Logos to improve by using Andersen-Forbes in interlinears?

Posts 1695
LogosEmployee

Theo Lau:

Thanks to all who have helped. I have Enhanced Brown, Driver, Briggs Lexicon. But I want to see the genders of all nouns in interlinear in my Logos 5. If not, I can only rely on the old Libronix that has the Andersen-Forbes.

Why doesn't Logos improve by using Andersen-Forbes that shows all the genders of nouns in interlinears?

Has anyone suggest Logos to improve by using Andersen-Forbes in interlinears?

Bradley's second link speaks to the reason for moving away from Andersen-Forbes and points out that the morphology is still used in The Hebrew Bible: Andersen-Forbes Analyzed Text.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/67165/468276.aspx#468276

Posts 9304
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 8:30 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Bradley's second link speaks to the reason for moving away from Andersen-Forbes and points out that the morphology is still used in The Hebrew Bible: Andersen-Forbes Analyzed Text.

Which is not available to purchase from Logos.  

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=andersen+forbes&Author=17%7cA.+Dean+Forbes&redirecttoauthor=true 

Posts 1695
LogosEmployee

Denise:

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Which is not available to purchase from Logos.  

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=andersen+forbes&Author=17%7cA.+Dean+Forbes&redirecttoauthor=true 

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I was not aware of it.

It is still possible though that the original poster or other readers may already have access to that resource.

Posts 9304
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 9:14 AM

I know you're not in this area (and nice to chime in), but removing the AF visualization resources, but keeping the visualized textbook (explaining the visualized resources) seems odd. Not to mention both Andersen and Forbes are refreshingly transparent in their work.

Luckily, I'm all AF loaded-up. Complete with great videos.

Posts 40
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 7:35 PM

I cannot see the word "Bradley" on the site you suggested.

Posts 1695
LogosEmployee

Theo Lau:

I cannot see the word "Bradley" on the site you suggested.

The post in question is not authored by Bradley. It should be the one at the top of the page by Vincent Setterholm when you follow the link.

Vincent Setterholm:

The Andersen-Forbes morphology is still available in the AFAT resource, but it isn't in the reverse interlinears anymore.

We are re-shooting the Learn to Use videos for Logos 5 with the LHB.

When we look at all the disparate data projects we have going on (things you know about, like the Bible Sense Lexicon and the Discourse Hebrew Bible, as well as things you haven't heard about), it became pretty obvious that we needed our own text to hang all this data on. Having all these things linked to one text is going to open up a lot of doors for powerful searching in the future.

But it's not all future benefits. There are some cool things that are in the LHB-based tools today that weren't in the AF-based tools, including accentuation on the surface text, vowel pointings on the lexical forms, root analysis, hybrid Kethiv-Qere forms and verb stems that more closely align with the analysis of unabridged lexicons like HALOT and BDB as well as some of the intermediate-advanced reference grammars. Of course the AF analysis has a lot to offer that isn't in LHB as well - there are certainly trade-offs in terms of specific features tagged. Though we are already in the process of adding a few more morph features into LHB - it will continue to improve.

Posts 40
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 8:48 AM

The following words are supposed to be sent to Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) but I pressed the wrong button. Anyway, anyone could read the following and respond:

Thanks very much for your reply. Since the website you mentioned, it has been 4 years during which Logos has not improved by including something like genders for every noun in Hebrew-English interlinears (like what Andersen-Forbes does). I don’t care paying more money for it. When Logos improves it, I can hold the interpretation in my own hand without much reliance on scholars.

I don’t know whether or not Logos wants us to rely more on scholars rather than my own study. I hope that Logos proves itself in this matter.

I would like to see Logos improves the interlinears ahead of publishing other materials. Could you suggest for me to Logos to improve it? Thanks in advance. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS