Tip Window Option?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 69
Sean Lillis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 29 2010 7:21 PM

Is there an option to turn on tip windows like we had in L3?  I'm not really a fan of the box way at the bottom of the screen with parsing info and an English gloss.  I preferred that it tracked with my mouse pointer and included more info.  Thanks.

Sean

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 7:26 PM

SeanLillis:

Is there an option to turn on tip windows like we had in L3?  I'm not really a fan of the box way at the bottom of the screen with parsing info and an English gloss.  I preferred that it tracked with my mouse pointer and included more info.  Thanks.

No, there is no option at this time to enable a tip window like L3 had.

Posts 69
Sean Lillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 7:33 PM

hmmm...thats too bad.  Sadly, after almost a month (maybe a bit less) of consistently using L4, studying the forums, watching the videos, and trial-and-error, I am finding myself going back more and more often to L3, as it isn't missing any functions and the font doesn't drive me nuts.  I just can't get a good font on L4...it always looks fuzzy no matter what i do.  Frankly, I wish l4 wasn't quite so different from L3.  

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 7:49 PM

SeanLillis:
I just can't get a good font on L4...it always looks fuzzy no matter what i do

The fuzziness of the fonts is likely some issues with the WPF in your .NET installation. Fonts are expected to improve after Microsoft releases some updates later this year (I can't remember what the date is)

Posts 69
Sean Lillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:01 PM

I have no idea what you just said....chuckle

Posts 32461
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:05 PM

SeanLillis:
I have no idea what you just said....chuckle

Translation: blame Microsoft.Smile Really.Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 69
Sean Lillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:10 PM

Well, i can certainly do that...Vista=boooooo!  

But then, my fonts look perfect in L3, so I guess I am ignorant as to why L4 would use font technology that the platform it is made for doesn't render very well?  I'm not trying to be critical, and i really have been laboring to get through the learning curve.  

Posts 32461
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:29 PM

SeanLillis:
why L4 would use font technology that the platform it is made for doesn't render very well?

Blame the European Union antitrust rulingsBig Smile Honest Cool

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 69
Sean Lillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:34 PM

Lol...no doubt a kernal of truth.  But then i also have to write a review of L4 for a journal, and somehow i don't think the readers will find that answer terribly helpful.  Smile

Posts 32461
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:50 PM

SeanLillis:

Lol...no doubt a kernal of truth.  But then i also have to write a review of L4 for a journal, and somehow i don't think the readers will find that answer terribly helpful.  Smile

The short of it. The presentation layer that L3 used was integrated into Internet Explorer. The EU found this to be a monopolistic practice and required MS to put the presentation layer in the operating system proper. Logos is one of the early adopters of this alternative presentation layer. Hence, Microsoft problems become Logos problems. Good move in the long term. A pain in the short term.

Posts 69
Sean Lillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 9:05 PM

Okay, I'm following you.  So the short, short of it is that the aesthetic quality and readability of text in L4 is dependent upon Microsoft retooling their software? 

Posts 32461
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 9:56 PM

Yes

Posts 69
Sean Lillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:40 PM

alrighty then

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS