A way to look for key phrases?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3649
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 23 2017 6:04 AM

I am wondering if there is a way to find repeated phrases in the Bible in Logos. The Concordance tool focuses on words (lemmas, senses, etc). 

For instance, I would like such a search (or resource?) to find in Kings phrases like so and so "did evil in the eyes of the LORD" or "did right in the eyes of the LORD". Or again, so and so "reigned x years" and "was buried at y place". 

Posts 24747
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 23 2017 8:09 PM

Francis:
so and so "reigned x years" and "was buried at y place". 

A "repeat word" or "echo" attribute exists in Syntax Search, but similar phrases that repeat is not so easy.

A Syntax Search has "died" and "reigned" in adjacent clauses.

Check how similar "word phrases" appear in a text search (ESV):

"eyes of the Lord" occurred with "right" but not "evil". So search for:

right, favor BEFORE "eyes of the Lord"

"do evil" occurs with "sight of the lord" or "before my eyes" so create a text search accordingly.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24747
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 23 2017 10:06 PM

Dave Hooton:
"do evil" occurs with "sight of the lord" or "before my eyes" so create a text search accordingly.

It is "eyes of the Lord" consistently in the Hebrew, so a Syntax Search becomes

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3649
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 24 2017 12:51 AM

Thanks, Dave, for you reply: much appreciated. I guess I did not formulate my request clearly enough. I don't want to look for specific phrases: I want to be able to discover what are the key phrases in a Bible book. 

Posts 24747
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 24 2017 5:01 PM

Francis:
the key phrases in a Bible book

But how do you define "key". The examples you gave are memorable, and not necessarily because they repeat. In Judges the single key phrase has always been (for me) "Everyone did what was right in his own eyes" (2x). But you would likely include "The people of Israel did what was evil in the eyes of the Lord" (8x). For Proverbs I would pick 'fool' and 'wise man' pairs or 'way of a man' and 'but the Lord' pairs, but these come from my familiarity with the text. I doubt there is a search to 'discover' such phrases.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 24 2017 5:18 PM

Francis:

Thanks, Dave, for you reply: much appreciated. I guess I did not formulate my request clearly enough. I don't want to look for specific phrases: I want to be able to discover what are the key phrases in a Bible book. 

Doubt this your cup of tea, but anyone else familiar may benefit.. Training a neural net against itself, generates not only word and phrase matches, but conditionals (next to, nearby). Pattern recognition. That's how I find them.  It's also good where a wording combo is unexpected (a good example being women quotes).

Posts 3649
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 25 2017 5:13 AM

Right, Dave, I have yet to define further. I actually mean repeated phrases. I have found a way to find some of them but it is a bit cumbersome and works best with exact repetition. 

Denise, I have no idea of what you are trying to say concretely.

Posts 13
Michael Chan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 25 2017 2:59 PM

Hi Denise,

Do you have free or inexpensive tools to take all my resources (in Logos and otherwise) and feed it to a neural net?

I am sure we can find amazing results.

Sincerely,

Michael 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS