Logos for Linux

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 7
Sean Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 24 2017 7:38 AM

Please build Logos for Linux.  I'm tired of having to fire up my Mac just to use Logos.  I've got six computers in my house and they all run Fedora Linux, except for one Mac, please, please offer Logos natively on Linux.  It really shouldn't be that hard since there's a native Mac version.

Posts 3449
Posts 20283
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 24 2017 7:58 AM

Hi Sean

i don't know if you have looked at the various threads discussing this and outlining some of the technology issues involved.

But the latest I have seen from Faithlife - https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/3635847-make-logos-4-and-5-avalible-to-individuals-on-ubun - is that they are not going to develop a Linux version but encouraging Linux users to use the web-based version at app.logos.com.

This is currently only available to Logos Now subscribers but is planned to be made available, in early July, to all who own a Logos 7 base package 

Graham

Posts 7
Sean Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 24 2017 8:22 AM

Thanks for the replies,

I have followed these threads but I still wanted to ask, and will probably ask again, and again, and again. 

I absolutely won't use the paid "subscription" model, I like to pay for things once and be done with it.  If Logos offers the web version free for life for those of us who purchased the offline software, then I might use it- only because there is no other option.

However, I will not spend one more dime on any software for Microsoft Windows or Mac OS as i am no longer buying Windows or Mac computers.

Posts 578
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 25 2017 4:00 AM

Sean Smith:

I have followed these threads but I still wanted to ask, and will probably ask again, and again, and again. 

All you need is a list of 50,000 orders for the Linux version. Then the Logos sales team will carry the ball for you.

Posts 5106
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 25 2017 9:33 AM

Jack Hairston:
All you need is a list of 50,000 orders for the Linux version.

Seems unlikely but then the other thread had over 300,000 views so might be possible....

-dan

Posts 17361
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 11 2017 11:06 AM

Sean Smith:
... please, please offer Logos natively on Linux.  It really shouldn't be that hard since there's a native Mac version.

Living and learning BSD system calls are implemented significantly different than linux kernel => https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/3322/what-makes-osx-programs-not-runnable-on-linux so linux lacks binary compatibility with BSD.

Thankful https://app.logos.com and https://app.verbum.com can be used in web browsers on many platforms, including Fedora Linux.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Rik Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 7:45 AM

I have been able to install Logos 7 successfully in Ubuntu 18.04, but whenever a resource is added (update manager OR manually) it will crash.  See this guide for how far I have gotten so far: Logos 7 in Ubuntu 18.04 using Wine

If I *manually* place a *.logos4 resources in the Resources folder, this type of error will show up:

008c:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"Application: Logos.exe\nFramework Version: v4.0.30319\nDescription: The application requested process termination through System.Environment.FailFast(string message).\nMessage: Error opening resource at 'C:\\users\\<user>\\Logos7\\Logos\\Data\\nvkglrmx.bgj\\ResourceManager\\Resources\\95THESES.log"...

By placing a *.lbsrvi file in the Resources folder I get this sort of error:

Application: Logos.exe\nFramework Version: v4.0.30319\nDescription: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.\nException Info: System.AccessViolationException\n   at Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.NativeMethods.EncryptedVolume_Open(Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.Safe"...

It seems quite apparent that whatever Logos uses to open the encrypted resources is not working in wine.

Does *anyone* have more understanding of how Logos 7 resources are encrypted?  Let me be absolutely clear that I am *not* interested in cracking the encryption.  Instead I am only trying to install in wine the necessary tool needed to decrypt that is working in Windows but may need manually installed or tweaked in wine.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS