Complex reading plans

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 28 2017 4:42 PM

Hi

I am not sure if this is possible at all but I would like to create for myself a reading plan that exends over the next couple of years in which I can pre-plan a few books in a reading list whereby I schedule several books to be read at once and then follow these books with other books once I complete this. I was thinking of doing this in word  or excel using hyperlinks to book chapters but I'm not sure how to copy hyperlinks . Is there any way to construct anything like this within Logos or linking into logos ? I guess I want to design my own course and then follow it :-) Thanks

Posts 768
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 29 2017 6:42 PM

I used to keep track of my readings in Excel.  This was in an era of paper books.  I was always reading more than one book in any one period.  The fun of Excel was being able to calculate the number of pages per day over extended periods.  I would use the statistic to spur myself on.  Excel spreadsheet would also let me know my progress in each book.

I think a similar question about external links was asked earlier this year with the answer being that you cannot link to a specific place within a resource. 

Have you considered employing Logos Favorites?  You could have a ReadingPlan directory including each of the plans.  Each plan could be a directory with lists of links to various resources in reading order.  Unlike the Courses tool, I don't think that there is a convenient way to configure a limit or ending location for a link.  I think the way that the course links provide a panel with specific bounded content is really nice.

Posts 3705
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 29 2017 7:02 PM

Dave Thawley:
I guess I want to design my own course and then follow it :-)

At some point, we were/are supposed to be able to author courses that can be read within the Courses tool. It would accomplish everything you presently want to do.

Perhaps FL can let us know if it slipped, or is still on track for an upcoming improvement. Hoping you won't have to wait for Logos 8 to do that, Dave!

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 30 2017 8:42 AM

PetahChristian:

Dave Thawley:
I guess I want to design my own course and then follow it :-)

At some point, we were/are supposed to be able to author courses that can be read within the Courses tool. It would accomplish everything you presently want to do.

Perhaps FL can let us know if it slipped, or is still on track for an upcoming improvement. Hoping you won't have to wait for Logos 8 to do that, Dave!

Never heard about this before, but it sounds very useful.

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 3 2017 12:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback on this guys and sorry for not getting back sooner. I am on shifts at work at the moment so my day is all over the place. It would be fantastic if we could use the course tool to create tools - this is really what I am after so I hope that Faithlife consider this feature for us to use.  In the meantime I have had a look at favorites and I think I can work with this so thanks for the tip. I do like the idea of keeping a list in Excel though as keeping a tab on page count does sound motivational .

Thanks again for your help

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 5:40 PM

I have been  messing around with logos and I've found I can copy a hyperlink to anywhere in any text :-) - I just highlight the text in logos and then <Control><Alt><c>. This copies the link When I click on it the link opens up in a web browser but  I get the option of opening it in Logos and remembering the decision.. This works a treat as long as I am on line and the correct page opens within a couple of seconds of clicking on the link :) I am using a package called Mindmanager which is a mind mapping tool to store my programme which allows me to link to  Logos and keep my notes in word by accessible from the same place within the software. I'm feeling very happy - now I just have about 100000 pages of reading to get though lol 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS