I bought Collector's first...

Page 5 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 103 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 8 2017 1:40 AM

aboutthelord:
I went with collectors original for future proof, but collectors really is missing some good stuff...

There's not really any future-proofing. The base packages change for each new version, so, for example, L8 Collectors would have resources that L7 Collectors didn't.

Whether you or I need the new resources or not is a different story, but one of the ways that FL makes its money by selling updated base packages each time a new version comes out.

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 8 2017 3:03 AM

PetahChristian:

There's not really any future-proofing. The base packages change for each new version, so, for example, L8 Collectors would have resources that L7 Collectors didn't.

When I say future proofing, I mean having AYBC, ICC, TDOT, Eerdmans 309 etc. or any other resource that Collectors has that would be nice to have one day. Some of those resources

Blessed Be Your Name O God!

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 9 2017 7:47 PM

I got the Price for Standard Platinum, adding Methodist Gold, Baptist Platinum, and NICOT/NICNT... $5900ish. plus I will get $460ish in credit/coupon... may acutually just wait and use that towards NICOT/NICNT since it doesn't add to the $10 per $100.... but obviously before the sale ends... So I would be at $5440ish for what would be in my view a nice library...

Posts 887
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 9 2017 8:13 PM

aboutthelord:

Dan Francis:

I just looked into Galatians 5 and found much useful material in AYBC and Hermeneia but virtually none in Tyndale but that is me. Were price not a concern and I had to choose between the three Hermeneia would likely be my choice, but Tyndale would definitely hit last place for me.

-dan

Dan the Man likes Hermeneia.... ;)

You and Dan, based on your comments here, are miles apart theologically. I will not say anything else after this post, but please just try to study with it and see if it is of any value to you. If not, the rest of the difference in Platinum and Gold will not include any tools that are worth the price difference.

Posts 1825
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 9 2017 9:54 PM

Hey aboutthelord..

I suggest that you don't forget on those application commentaries if you're planning on preaching. Once people graduated from seminaries, prayers are more important in studying, because God can reveal things that you may not able to find (those gold nuggets) from reading from all commentaries (I don't have enough time to read all the commentaries, though I want to).. So don't worry about the techie stuffs.

Techie stuffs are cool, but please don't bore your congregations with things over their head.

With that said, I recommend Life Application Commentary..

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 9 2017 10:27 PM

Justin Gatlin:

You and Dan, based on your comments here, are miles apart theologically. I will not say anything else after this post, but please just try to study with it and see if it is of any value to you. If not, the rest of the difference in Platinum and Gold will not include any tools that are worth the price difference.

Thanks Justin! I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions from everyone on this post. A good buddy of mine named Mike told me to be careful putting this info out here because it could cause me to be stressed out more than I am... I wish I had the money to get collectors and more. but right now if I just get collectors I will be missing some stuff that I want now and cant add on anything without over stretching myself. I can always get collectors later if I am determined to have some of the techy stuff or if I earn my stripes with some of the other stuff. The only reason I am considering going away from collectors is that fact, I maxed out my budget and still want more... I don't mind having AYBC,ICC, Hermeneia, but the packaged I mentioned above has more commentary on my level right now.

One more option I considered was adding some of the Feature Set collections on, to enhance things like Cultural Concepts, Text comparisons, etc.

So I can get the FULL benefit of Logos. Extra commentaries will be great but the reason I want Logos is to be able to use the Features.

I can get commentaries on Study Light all day, just much slower....

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 10 2017 10:20 AM

Justin Gatlin:
You and Dan, based on your comments here, are miles apart theologically. I will not say anything else after this post, but please just try to study with it and see if it is of any value to you.

All I want him to do... Everyone is very different I was raised lutheran and am now anglican.

6406.Gal five 16-25.pdf

Here is Gal 5:16-25 looked at in NIB/Her/Anc/Tyn...

-dan

Posts 44
Mikael S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 10 2017 1:08 PM

OP, and those who want to contribute with great recommendations about commentaries such as for filling gaps (by sifting through the following link - about which I add a few words at the end of this post, You only need to think if there are any of those obviously missed out gems to later see whether it adds to a few already well covered books of the Bible or those books of the Bible not yet mentioned in the thread): So please check out Unix's commentary thread: Concisely erudite expositional commentary vols. worth duplicating?

I think Mark Smith gave the best advice yet. To me, commentaries are for pin-pointing the scholarly view that backs You - more research through monographs, journals and commentaries strenghtens faith, an amount of technical detail level is a necessary pain at first when unaccustomed to academic formats, but after a couple Years You'll build up both interest (which is the most important) and routine such as recognizing familiar authors.

Buying a commentary set that is just right for You now (with a bit of an effort such as looking up lingo) packages You into a level from which although You can easily advance, You will own it forever (You're not renting it) and by having gained it from a base-package You're pretty much stuch with owning it, so even though You will have benefited AND learned (which is the important part) You will not be selling it away, because bundled titles have to go in one sell, all of them: Base-packages and dynamically priced items and if You don't keep on top of the order in which You've acquired each product You will soon discovered You've lost any overview of what You might sell away separately because You've only bought with dynamical pricing discount in mind and not based on that a completely separately bought commentary set or mongraph set COULD be sold off second hand.

What I'm saying is that in my experience, You will need different commentaries at first for different books of the Bible, i.e. from different sets depending on which Biblical book You are looking at, because the diferences between the approch suiting for which book of the Bible differs that much. The risk with a too easy commentary set is that: a) Even if complete some volumes may be dated and You would end up re-reading to get up to current research, later, b) You will very quickly run out of detail for SOME books and passages of the Bible and c) If You think Your other commentaries will cover for the passage this might not be true if You haven't really thought about other qualifications than the series brand.

Decent deals for utilization at a rather later point which You should have in mind now: Are Old Testament Library and New Testament Library full set pre-pub - i.e. You don't pay up front but only until it's released  if You still want to be in, Dictionary of Classical Hebrew, New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. Any of these except Old and New Testament Library may at some point be greatly discounted somehow or come included in a base-packages. Just for You consideration of alternatives to the series that have so far been discussed! The commentary series are mostly liberal, but just hide what You don't want, and this recommendation is mostly for others who read this as Unix is not currently adding to his commentary thread. Value for $$ recommendations really, at heavily discounted price points I mean.

Of purchases added since the thread was last updated: Unix did get the entire WBC set under WORDsearch - already had some print, Accordance or Verbum platform volumes, and he also got Sacra Pagina entire set (NT) under Accordance. Accordance was btw made a great offer, excellent for him for Theological Journal Library student discount sale period deal (has also been offered at the price point under WORDsearch once, but no bought journals there).

I would have to say I'm only familiar with some strands of denominational packages: Catholic, Anglican - both of those highest level reached was Silver under L6-L7. Standard base-package level Logos 5 Bronze which only very slowly turns into a +/- $0 no-loss-no-gain purchase - biggest additions (on top of L2 Level 4 and L4 Original Languages base-packages (and used to own Hermeneia/Continental Commentaries (63 vols.) - sold away second-hand I think two or three Years ago) which I still would not have needed to add separately at least not under Verbum if they would not have been aquired back then were NKJV Reverse Interlinear and Keil-Delitzsch Old Testament set in English, of which NKJV has been of little use but value is just if at some point having to see what others are seeing if You know what I mean - i.e. it's fairly popular but not ever amoung my regular use Bibles and I don't have an actual print copy, so, would not bother to catch it from a library, it's a very typical Bible I would never get unless I just happened to get it never considering needing it.

What I'm saying is You'll be glad for getting fairly small things included.

I get most commentary sets at the best price point IF I want them, since having the major/competitive platforms and being able to shop where is best. This is my own choice, and lock me in to switching between platforms, but is due to that I regret not investing less under Verbum and more under at leaste Accordance. My WORDsearch library is OK - no regrets building it or the VERY late stage at which I got into it.

Speaking of small base-packages, I'm still under Accordance 10 Starter Collection, a now almost outdated and tiny package but having added all I ever wanted right away it's a workable account, and necessary second-hand deals much less complicated or hampered than under Faithlife. I'm considering getting version 12 for $35 - did buy fairly recently at best discount for the level - could return - haven't attached the upgrade to any account yet. Accordance also at least once discounted mid-level bases at 50% off - that was under version 11 which was the greatest-yet-technical-usability-progress-version also resource format update-wise. All platforms.

If I wake up very early tomorrow I might edit and add some to this post, just thought I do this very quick write-up which is based on Unix's 1½ decade old customership on here and 4 Years with Accordance (WORDsearch about 1½ Years).

Of course I'm not saying the lowest individual purchase price for a commentary set where-ever You'll find it when being platform-indepentt is always the best choice. It's not if You take it to the extreme and try to be completely indifferent under format and just want to have it/them somewhere. I have two relatively very tiny OliveTree accounts also but those are really just for the hardware interface support: I use them on my two in my mind superiour BlackBerry Playbook tablets with PlayBook OS 2.0 but few may have tried out this hardware or would - they are quite old now, OS discountinued. Maybe it's just that I don't like the feel of normal old Android tablets. A more modern although also discountinued way is Kindle Paperwhite Verbum books. Note I said these two accounts are tiny for a reason.

I will never upgrade my standard base-package and didn't limit my denonimational base-package level purchasing on anything but consideration of what level is precisely right for me.

if You would look at my order history and especially if You would consider what my different platforms consist of, You might somewhat easily think I should have gone with higher levels of some base-packages, even perhaps Standard line of them. Just because of my total $$ spent. But I don't regret on the whole because my paths and way I've built my library has helped me to keep completely off of commentaries I really rather would not neither use or own in any form be it included in base-packages or print, so I Unix can proudly present my commentary list thread - with pretty much everything I own commentary-wise as a direct recommendation for others to follow! There aren't any commentaries I really regret buying whether they came included or bought individually or second-hand!
/posted under my 2-nd email (seminary email) with almost zero purchases, my library is under Unix account which is my only actual email I've registered any libraries under.

translatio-princpld...
10 Bibls.. Supporting the cause of the right for data

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 10 2017 3:35 PM

Dan Francis:

Justin Gatlin:
You and Dan, based on your comments here, are miles apart theologically. I will not say anything else after this post, but please just try to study with it and see if it is of any value to you.

All I want him to do... Everyone is very different I was raised lutheran and am now anglican.

6406.Gal five 16-25.pdf

Here is Gal 5:16-25 looked at in NIB/Her/Anc/Tyn...

-dan

i did look at that btw, and I see what you mean. It is disappointing when some passages are just skimmed over in commentary. 

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 10 2017 3:46 PM

aboutthelord:
I got the Price for Standard Platinum, adding Methodist Gold, Baptist Platinum, and NICOT/NICNT... $5900ish. plus I will get $460ish in credit/coupon... may acutually just wait and use that towards NICOT/NICNT since it doesn't add to the $10 per $100.... but obviously before the sale ends... So I would be at $5440ish for what would be in my view a nice library...

You are spending a lot to get this library, but it makes more sense to me than Collectors. I seriously doubt you will miss the Journal of Cuneiform Writing and a whole lot more that is in Collector's, but will value the better set of commentaries you will have with this bundle.

Again, once you get this set of resources, do some study, ask questions and look for answers. Then you'll know better what you might want to add in the future. Faithlife has a number of sales every year. In another year or two you may be able to pick up something you'd value at a very good price if you don't go broke buying what you may not need now. In the meantime you will have a very powerful library and all of Logos' tools.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 10 2017 3:55 PM

aboutthelord:

It is disappointing when some passages are just skimmed over in commentary. 

This is bound  to happen as to make everyone happy you would need volumes per passage. For me I am also very happy when I get an opinion I disagree with as iron sharpens iron a good counter argument often strengthens one one position and helps clarify ones thoughts. Now again we are all different and some would find such things as damaging to ones faith. I have often read a book and thought they were wrong but I have never felt my faith harmed by it. 

To the Glory of God alone.

-dan

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 10 2017 4:15 PM

Dan Francis:
to make everyone happy you would need volumes per passage

Just dwelling with Him would accomplish that. In His presence is fullness of joy!

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 10 2017 4:22 PM

aboutthelord:

Yes Glad you were able to settle on something that fit for you.

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 10 2017 10:05 PM

Kiyah:

Yes Glad you were able to settle on something that fit for you.

well I haven't fully settled, but I think this is good... I am sure a few of you still think that this is overboard. I am willing to go a little overboard, but I think you guys were correct that I am maxed out with collectors and wouldn't be able to afford to add anything. however that nice $980 back would be nice! I am still open to suggestions because I am still looking through my options. I would like to try and nail this thing on the head as much as possible the first go around. That is why I was so cool with collectors in the first place. If I ever decided that I wanted some of the bigger titles in Collectors, then I would have them. I do think my latest strategy is good though. I could still afford to through in some other stuff maybe.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 11 2017 12:35 PM

aboutthelord:
I am still open to suggestions because I am still looking through my options.
As much as Herm. or Anch. can be useful, I still find New Interpreter's Bible To be a set that over all punches above it's weight. I use it as my jumping off point most all the time. https://community.logos.com/forums/t/45235.aspx?PageIndex=1 has many examples. Nice thing about it is you get the apocrypha too, which is good to reference even if you don't draw spiritually from them they make an important background for the NT and its thought. Many protestants call the time between OT and NT the silent 400 years but the Apocrypha show its anything but silent. Again the NIB may not be for you but really worth a look. -dan

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 11 2017 8:25 PM

so I went with the 3 base packages deal and added Nicot/nicnt, application commentary bundle, TDOT (on sale with base package), a few additional bibles, esv notes, factbook expansion, parallel passage expansion, extended feature set, HALOT... I think that is all... Should get a $440 credit/coupon back. Thinking maybe adding WBC or NIB with that money. Would be nice to wait for a sale...

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 11 2017 8:32 PM

or add Pentecostal bronze and get cornerstone, Eerdmans commentary... $147

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 11 2017 8:51 PM

Justin Gatlin:

Since you already have Collectors', have you tried reading a few pages of ICC etc to see if you can imagine yourself studying with those kinds of tools on a weekly basis?

sorry I never answered this, I was completely overwhelmed with collectors and really wasn't able time wise (before July 19) to really do hardly any trials of anything. I know I still had a week before then, but I knew I needed to come down in monthly payment anyway. I did try ICC, AYBC, but honestly I don't have the ability or time to even scratch the surface on those Commentaries. Other than reading what Dan suggested I really didn't look too hard into these commentaries. I wanted all you guys/gals help since I have a short time to evaluate. and pretty much everyone agreed I would be better off waiting on some of these commentaries. I believe I took a safer route this time and I feel I took an average of what has been said and executed it. I could just do bible studies with friends or Preach with this library. I think they should call this package "Christian Portfolio" ;) 

I want royalties Faithlife   :) 

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 11 2017 9:16 PM

You could see what the program can do with the libraries that you already have. The following training videos and courses are already in your library, if you haven't watched them yet:

• The QuickStart videos are a good place to start to introduce you to different parts of the Logos 7 program.
  • LT271: Study the Bible with Logos: Jonah 1 would introduce you to different facets of studying the bible using the feature sets and tools that you presently have.

While everyone has an opinion about what they like, only you can figure out whether a set meets your needs or not.

Spend some time studying with the sets you presently have. You may find out that you already own some very good commentary sets that you like and end up regularly using, and come to the conclusion that there's no need to buy additional sets at this point. Wink

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 11 2017 10:39 PM

PetahChristian:

You could see what the program can do with the libraries that you already have. The following training videos and courses are already in your library, if you haven't watched them yet:

• The QuickStart videos are a good place to start to introduce you to different parts of the Logos 7 program.
  • LT271: Study the Bible with Logos: Jonah 1 would introduce you to different facets of studying the bible using the feature sets and tools that you presently have.

While everyone has an opinion about what they like, only you can figure out whether a set meets your needs or not.

Spend some time studying with the sets you presently have. You may find out that you already own some very good commentary sets that you like and end up regularly using, and come to the conclusion that there's no need to buy additional sets at this point. Wink

thanks for the advice! I already watched the Morris proctor and LT261 videos... need to get on LT271 next. I have many choices on how to spend that $440, maybe I can get some good advice on that when the time comes...

Page 5 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS