Objection to "family" classification: "Into His Arms"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
David B. Woods | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 17 2017 10:44 PM

Into His Arms (https://faithlifetv.com/items/341025) is a terrifying movie for kids and should not be classified as a family movie. My family had a rough night last night because of it. At times, I wanted to quit but I kept trusting that, as a family movie, it would turn out well. Bad decision--after one child was kidnapped and never seen again, a second was abducted; knowing that the first was with God wasn't much comfort to my little girl.

Please reconsider how this movie is presented, and update the description to warn parents not to let children watch it.

Posts 4883
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 18 2017 5:31 AM

A quick read of the description tells me this is not a movie for younger children. It looks like the word familly was picked up in the description and it was auto classified as family.

David B. Woods:

Into His Arms (https://faithlifetv.com/items/341025) is a terrifying movie for kids and should not be classified as a family movie. My family had a rough night last night because of it. At times, I wanted to quit but I kept trusting that, as a family movie, it would turn out well. Bad decision--after one child was kidnapped and never seen again, a second was abducted; knowing that the first was with God wasn't much comfort to my little girl.

Please reconsider how this movie is presented, and update the description to warn parents not to let children watch it.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 18 2017 6:50 AM

David B. Woods:
Into His Arms (https://faithlifetv.com/items/341025) is a terrifying movie for kids and should not be classified as a family movie.

When our kids were little, there were many "family" movies and even "kids" movies/shows that were not appropriate to our kids. We learned (the hard way, unfortunately) that our kids weren't able to handle some things that other kids might (including other kids, of the same age, in our church!). That meant we needed to know the basic plot/story-line before letting our kids watch it.

I really have no idea how FaithLife classifies their movies. I do know that in other places the "family" designation only seems to mean that there are no swear words or (obvious) sexual innuendos. However, the "Family" designation (in places apart from Faithlife) does not necessarily mean it's suitable for young children (families have children of all age levels). And even if it is suitable for some young children, it doesn't mean it's suitable for yours or mine.

Perhaps, it would be helpful if Faithlife would include in the description of this movie something like this: "Due to the emotional intensity of this film, it may not be suitable for younger children." [There's probably a better way to put that.]

NOTE: I'm only trying to contribute to a discussion here, not at all trying to diminish your, or your daughter's, distress.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 976
LogosEmployee
Dave Dunkin (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 19 2017 7:58 AM

Thanks for letting us know. I have edited the item and it will disappear from the Family category shortly. The categorization was automated and lumped this movie about family with movies appropriate for the whole family, which I think is what most people expect from the Family category.

Posts 22
David B. Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 20 2017 3:42 AM

Doc, you are right. I was over-optimistic that there would be a happy ending, but the description should have made me halt my daughter's choice.

Posts 22
David B. Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 20 2017 3:47 AM

Thanks Rich. I think its difficult because one the label for the genre suggests a target audience. 

Glad to say my daughter seems over it now.

Posts 22
David B. Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 20 2017 3:47 AM

Much appreciated, Dave!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS