Is it possible?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 172
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 25 2017 4:26 PM

Does anybody know if it is possible to narrow down a search to commentaries written by people from a certain perspective? For example, I am writing a paper based on the different interpretations of Daniel based on when the commentator believes the book to have been written. The two main theories is that it was written by Daniel in the sixth century or that it was written by multiple authors and compiled and published in the second century. I would like to compile collections based on commentaries within each camp. Is this possible? Thank you.

🖥 21.5" iMac; 2.7GHZ; 1TB HD🖥

💻 15" Macbook Pro Retina; 2.5GHZ i7; 16 GB; 500GB FSD💻

🎁Logos 6 Diamond; Logos 6 Anglican Diamond; Logos 6 Pentecostal & Charismatic Gold🎁

🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 30488
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 25 2017 5:26 PM

Dwayne Justice:
Does anybody know if it is possible to narrow down a search to commentaries written by people from a certain perspective?

Not without creating tags and collections... but you should avoid doing that. Too many collections cause Logos to go wonky. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 25 2017 6:31 PM

alabama24:
Too many collections cause Logos to go wonky.

How many do you think are "too many" and what do you specifically mean by "wonky?" Wouldn't any (performance?) issues be more related to hardware specs?

I've got 89 collections, and ten of them specifically involve commentaries (to group by types within the guides). I haven't run into any odd behavior, so this answer caught me by surprise.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 30488
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 25 2017 7:36 PM

I don't have many, and I could be wrong. I know that some users have pointed to denominational collections, for example, as causing performance problems. 

The OP was asking a hypothetical question. My understanding is "no" or "not unless you manually build a whole lot of collections which wouldn't be worth anyone's time." If a user had a specific reason for building ONE such collection, it wouldn't be a big deal... although you would still have to figure out a way to decipher which authors followed which schema. 

Posts 733
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 25 2017 7:40 PM

alabama24:

... Too many collections cause Logos to go wonky. 

Thanks, Alabama, I don't remember reading that tip before.  I have several collections, so your warning is making me nervous! Smile Can you elaborate for us?

Posts 733
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 25 2017 7:41 PM

alabama24:

I don't have many, and I could be wrong. I know that some users have pointed to denominational collections, for example, as causing performance problems. 

The OP was asking a hypothetical question. My understanding is "no" or "not unless you manually build a whole lot of collections which wouldn't be worth anyone's time." If a user had a specific reason for building ONE such collection, it wouldn't be a big deal... although you would still have to figure out a way to decipher which authors followed which schema. 

O.k.  Thanks!

Posts 3033
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 25 2017 8:11 PM

Brad:

alabama24:

... Too many collections cause Logos to go wonky. 

Thanks, Alabama, I don't remember reading that tip before.  I have several collections, so your warning is making me nervous! Smile Can you elaborate for us?

Having a number of collections that use queries that are expensive to evaluate can slow down your startup time. The best way to build a fast query is to add tags to the resources you care about, then have the collection query for that tag. This kind of collection should not have a significant impact on performance.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 30488
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 25 2017 8:26 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
The best way to build a fast query is to add tags to the resources you care about, then have the collection query for that tag.

...Isn't that what the denominational collections do? I know some have suggested that they are resource intensive... what say you? 

EDIT: Actually, I think they don't run on tags, but rather run by "author" searches... That does sound more taxing. 

This kind of collection should not have a significant impact on performance.

The OP was asking about running a search on commentaries based upon the dating view of the author. Hypothetically speaking... If someone were to create HUNDREDS of tags and MANY TENS of collections so that they could run these searches at will... would you change your answer? Am I right that the only way (currently) to perform that search would be to do so? 

Posts 172
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 25 2017 11:14 PM

***UPDATE***

In case anyone is interested, here is what I have done. It is the closest thing I could think of until I figure out a better way, if there is one. It took some time, and I'm sure I have not exhausted all my resources, but here's the gist. 

1. I opened each commentary I had tabbed out in the floating window I was using for my paper (I'm sure there are many more I could use, but these are the ones I picked so far)

2. I read the portions of the commentaries that talk about the date and authorship of Daniel

3. Those that sounded like they supported a 6th century date, I tagged with "Daniel6Century"

4. Those that sounded like they supported a 2nd century date, I tagged with "Daniel2Century"

5. Those that were hard to tell or were obviously neutral I tagged with "Daniel?Century"

6. I created a collection entitled: Daniel Paper (commentators who hold to a sixth century writing) and under "start with resources matching" I typed: mytag:Daniel6Century

7. I created a collection entitled: Daniel Paper (commentators who hold to a second century writing) and under "start with resources matching" I typed: mytag:Daniel2Century

8. I created a collection entitled: Daniel Paper (commentators who are neutral concerning date of writing) and under "start with resources matching" I typed: mytag:Daniel? (because if I put Daniel?Century it added all the books I had tagged with Daniel(anything)Century so it was added every book I was tagging)

It works for a "quick fix" and the result was rather interesting in that almost every resource I have uses some type of terminology to the effect that the majority of scholars hold to the later, 2nd century as opposed to the earlier 6th century date. However, at the end I only had 6 books in the 2nd century collection while 20 are in the 6th. Only 3 are in the neutral/unknown collection. I probably should have led with this, but I assumed everyone on here would know and I didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence: the dates I am referring to are B.C. Just to avoid any confusion there may have been. Anyway, this is the only way I can think of to do what I was trying to. Unfortunately, I do not think there is an automatic way to attain this type of sorting. 

🎁Logos 6 Diamond; Logos 6 Anglican Diamond; Logos 6 Pentecostal & Charismatic Gold🎁

🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 4:12 AM

alabama24:

This kind of collection should not have a significant impact on performance.

The OP was asking about running a search on commentaries based upon the dating view of the author. Hypothetically speaking... If someone were to create HUNDREDS of tags and MANY TENS of collections so that they could run these searches at will... would you change your answer? Am I right that the only way (currently) to perform that search would be to do so? 

Andrew is right. The number of collections is much less an issue than the complexity of the collections. Certainly there's no problem with TENS of collections, or HUNDREDS of tags — unless you were trying to create a collection that used 100 different tags, perhaps.

But even a few complex collections are OK. My commentary collections, for example, are fairly complex, but all of them will add only a total of second or so to startup time or library catalog update time.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 4:17 AM

Dwayne Justice:
It is the closest thing I could think of until I figure out a better way, if there is one.

I don't think there is a better way. It's what I would have done. The only thing that might possibly have speeded you up slightly would be to have used the Factbook entry for "Book of Daniel" to make it quicker to open commentaries to the place where the date is discussed. But as not all commentaries are listed there (and, looking at it, few of the one's you'd use in a seminary paper), it wouldn't have helped much.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 172
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 6:00 PM

Mark Barnes:

Dwayne Justice:
It is the closest thing I could think of until I figure out a better way, if there is one.

I don't think there is a better way. It's what I would have done. The only thing that might possibly have speeded you up slightly would be to have used the Factbook entry for "Book of Daniel" to make it quicker to open commentaries to the place where the date is discussed. But as not all commentaries are listed there (and, looking at it, few of the one's you'd use in a seminary paper), it wouldn't have helped much.

welp...there ya go! LOL!

🌐Logos Now🌐

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS