New Windows option in 7.9 Beta 1 to make Logos faster

Page 1 of 7 (127 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 126 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 1662
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 31 2017 12:05 PM

In our efforts to improve the performance speed of the application we have added a new option that needs to be manually applied. This process will need to be repeated each time a new version of the application is installed.

Updated to reflect changes made in 7.9 RC 1

To run the new performance command line:

1. Run a Command Prompt for `[logosinstallpath]\Logos.exe /ngen`

2. Click on Yes for changes to be made on the pop-up

To undo this process:

1. Run a Command Prompt for `[logosinstallpath]\Logos.exe /unngen`

2. Click on Yes for changes to be made on the pop-up

Posts 1251
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 12:50 PM

OK, being the brave one... (will probably regret this)...

- I didn't get the UAC message in step 2 (probably because I'm running an admin account)

- How do I know if this is done? The ngen seems to be stuck on a certain line for a long time. Is this normal? OK ngen now closes itself down automatically after about 5 minutes.

- Note also the warning messages about Methods Not Found in the middle, see attached file

- Logos 7.9 beta 1 on Windows 10. Logos was open the whole time while ngen ran... should I have closed it?

- Should I restart Logos? Scared to close it down for fear it may not start again...

- If it is safe to shut down Logos and restart (should I restart Windows also?), where do I look for the performance improvements?

See attached file of the ngen text...1104.Logos7.9beta1ngen.txt

Thanks,

Peter

Posts 1655
LogosEmployee

PL:

- I didn't get the UAC message in step 2 (probably because I'm running an admin account)

That sounds pretty plausible.

PL:

- How do I know if this is done? The ngen seems to be stuck on a certain line for a long time. Is this normal? OK ngen now closes itself down automatically after about 5 minutes.

This all sounds normal. There won't be anything special when the process finishes, so it sounds like it should have worked just fine.

PL:

- Note also the warning messages about Methods Not Found in the middle, see attached file

This is not a problem.

PL:

- Logos 7.9 beta 1 on Windows 10. Logos was open the whole time while ngen ran... should I have closed it?

It doesn't matter if Logos was running while ngen ran.

PL:

- Should I restart Logos? Scared to close it down for fear it may not start again...

- If it is safe to shut down Logos and restart (should I restart Windows also?)?

Yes. You can restart Logos. There is no need to restart Windows. If you run into a problem, you can use the process listed above to remove the optimization.

PL:

where do I look for the performance improvements?

You should see improvements in startup time plus the first time you access any particular feature of the application.

To help you feel a little more comfortable with what's happening... The only change we've made to our application here is to add a command-line parameter that allows you to take advantage of a feature provided by Microsoft to provide post-installation performance improvements. All of the real work is done by a tool from Microsoft which was already available on your system. You could have manually used this tool at any point in the past to see the same performance gains.

A slightly more technical explanation is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Image_Generator

Posts 1251
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 2:11 PM

Thank you Andrew!

This brave soul is very happy! It's like I got a turbo-upgraded new computer! Startup time is 25 seconds from click on icon to fully functional, usable Logos. Didn't time it before, I think startup was close to 1 minute previously. Everything is so much more responsive! It is nothing short of miraculous and amazing! I even ran a fuzzy search under the Bible search and it is so much faster.

The only problem I have encountered so far is with the Bible Word Study guide. When I opened it from the menu, it carried over a Hebrew word from my previous search. I tried to type in "g:pistis" but each letter took several seconds to appear. Eventually it ran the search and the results came back very fast. Even though the response time here is unacceptably slow, it is already an improvement over before I restarted Logos after I ran ngen. Then each letter took maybe 20 seconds to pop up and was utterly unusable. That's why I was scared to restart Logos. Can you please look into this slowness issue?

Thanks very much! Once this approach is fully tested by other users, I assume this will be built into future installation processes to run automatically?

Great work (FL and MS)!

Peter

EDIT: P.S. The auto-populate of text entry boxes seem extremely slow. E.g. If I type in "esv" or "niv" in the Command Box, the auto-populate spins for 10-15 seconds before populating.

Posts 1655
LogosEmployee

Glad to hear that this is working out really well for you!

PL:

The only problem I have encountered so far is with the Bible Word Study guide. When I opened it from the menu, it carried over a Hebrew word from my previous search. I tried to type in "g:pistis" but each letter took several seconds to appear. Eventually it ran the search and the results came back very fast. Even though the response time here is unacceptably slow, it is already an improvement over before I restarted Logos after I ran ngen. Then each letter took maybe 20 seconds to pop up and was utterly unusable. That's why I was scared to restart Logos. Can you please look into this slowness issue?

This is an unrelated issue. I recommend starting a new thread if you can recreate the problem. You will probably want to submit profiling logs as detailed here: https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Windows_Profiler_Utility

PL:

Thanks very much! Once this approach is fully tested by other users, I assume this will be built into future installation processes to run automatically?

We're not entirely sure yet how this will be implemented generally. It can't be done completely automatically, since it requires elevation, and it has to happen after every time a new version is installed. Assuming that your experience is generally shared by others, we'll be taking a look at the best way to integrate this more cleanly.

Posts 1354
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 2:54 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Assuming that your experience is generally shared by others...

Wow, I definitely noticed an improvement on my end too. I just had a 4 second start up!!

Logos 7.15  | Dell Inspiron | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPad Air | iPhone 7plus 5.7.2

Posts 725
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 3:01 PM

Yes   Noticeably faster loading times.

From Logos.log(s):

- without ngen: "Info StartupUtility Finished startup at 6937ms"

- with ngen:      "Info StartupUtility Finished startup at 4024ms"  2913ms faster ---> 42%

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 8587
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 3:08 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

In our efforts to improve the performance speed of the application we have added a new option that needs to be manually applied. This process will need to be repeated each time a new version of the application is installed.

Well it certainly took awhile to compile, but not horribly so.

It's hard to say if the observable start up time was really faster, only because I had Logos running before I did this, which I assume left certain DLL's etc in ram, second startup is always faster anyway, and it did seem at least that fast.

I have not noticed anything amiss.  But I'll continue to pay attention.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1558
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 4:23 PM

I don't look at logs, but it seems significantly faster at startup. (I rebooted in case there is some caching effect.) Changing layouts seems faster, too. This machine has 16GB and an SSD. I'll get a better idea when I try it on a slower computer.

Win7/10 Android/Fire OS 5

Posts 8650
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 6:17 PM

I installed it.

Can you explain a little about what this is doing that is supposed to speed things up?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 364
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 6:27 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Is the result of this new performance command line identical to running "ngen install" on Logos.exe (i.e., the assemblyPath)?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/tools/ngen-exe-native-image-generator 

Posts 23053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 7:15 PM

Mark Smith:
Can you explain a little about what this is doing that is supposed to speed things up?

Andrew supplied this link, above.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1655
LogosEmployee

Adam Olean:

Is the result of this new performance command line identical to running "ngen install" on Logos.exe (i.e., the assemblyPath)?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/tools/ngen-exe-native-image-generator 

That's correct.

Posts 23053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 1 2017 1:08 AM

JRS:
Yes   Noticeably faster loading times.

From Logos logs:

- without ngen: "Info StartupUtility Finished startup" 12.9s-15.9s. Avg. 14.2s

- with ngen:      "Info StartupUtility Finished startup" 9.9s-11.5s. Avg. 10.5s

There is less lag opening my ESV tab with one Search VF.

EDIT:   on v7.7 time to finish startup approx. 24s. Overall performance improvement is > 50% on a hard drive.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 662
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 1 2017 3:33 AM

Don't forget, you can put the command line ([logosinstallpath]\Logos.exe /ngen) into a text file and save it as Filename.cmd. Double clicking on that file should run the installer when you need to do it for the next version of Logos.

Posts 2620
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 1 2017 5:45 AM

Jonathan Pitts:

Don't forget, you can put the command line ([logosinstallpath]\Logos.exe /ngen) into a text file and save it as Filename.cmd. Double clicking on that file should run the installer when you need to do it for the next version of Logos.

Yes Smile , the old DOS is still needed and required. Faithlife probably can integrate a subroutine that would partially automate the process in the future.

Posts 1354
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 1 2017 6:38 AM

Jonathan Pitts:
you can put the command line ([logosinstallpath]\Logos.exe /ngen) into a text file and save it as Filename.cmd. Double clicking on that file should run the installer when you need to do it

thanks for the shortcut

Logos 7.15  | Dell Inspiron | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPad Air | iPhone 7plus 5.7.2

Posts 1354
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 1 2017 6:44 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
save it as Filename.cmd

how did you accomplish this? when I attempt it says it an invalid name...

Posts 1769
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 1 2017 7:19 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
It doesn't matter if Logos was running while ngen ran.

If this is the case, I'm not sure why you're forcing users to open a command prompt and run a command line.

Pleased with the continued performance work... A bit surprised that Logos hasn't been ngen'd all along...

Donnie

Posts 8587
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 1 2017 7:27 AM

James Taylor:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
save it as Filename.cmd

how did you accomplish this? when I attempt it says it an invalid name...

You're trying to save it with the wrong name.  When you save it save it as LOGOSNGEN.CMD

That should do it.  As it stands your filename has slashes and such that means it's a path.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Page 1 of 7 (127 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS