Did Jesus and the NT Persons speak Greek or Aramaic?

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2406
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 6:13 AM

Alexander Fogassy:

David,

Thank you. Those exercises proved to be most helpful. I still wonder why Matthew wrote Eli and Mark wrote Eloi...Jesus said one and not the other, so is one of the gospel accounts "wrong"? Or is the issue with our translations? 

Alex

That is the significance of Biblical criticism since we don't have original document. Unless one choses to believe some form of divine preservation. I use https://www.logos.com/product/4468/the-net-bible TC Notes as a beginning place to make me aware of Textual Criticism issues.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1109
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 7:56 AM

David Thomas:

Alexander Fogassy:

David,

Thank you. Those exercises proved to be most helpful. I still wonder why Matthew wrote Eli and Mark wrote Eloi...Jesus said one and not the other, so is one of the gospel accounts "wrong"? Or is the issue with our translations? 

Alex

That is the significance of Biblical criticism since we don't have original document. Unless one choses to believe some form of divine preservation. I use https://www.logos.com/product/4468/the-net-bible TC Notes as a beginning place to make me aware of Textual Criticism issues.

I wonder if we're placing too much weight on the spelling of the Greek here. Jesus was at the point of death, so His diction may have been a bit impaired, and whether the words were Hebrew or Aramaic, they've been transliterated into the alphabet for another language. Taking those two things together, is it really all that surprising that Matthew and Mark might have transcribed the words differently?

Posts 8333
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 12:45 PM

Alexander Fogassy:

David,

Alex

Eli is American English spelling and Eloi is the British spelling much like color and colour 😂 hehe 😁

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 2:11 PM

David,

Yes, I believe in the inerrency of the original autographs, and obviously not all of the copies.

But when it gets down to brass tacks, Jesus said one and not the other. Obviously, neither Mark's nor Matthew's account can be "wrong" for inerrency to be intact. Therefore, the problem must be on our end, via the copies we have or the way we understand them? 

Would you say that our best bet, based on the Aramaic of the rest of the sentence, is that Christ said Eloi? Or do you think that he was quoting the Aramaic Targum, and actually said Eli? 

Posts 2406
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 3:10 PM

Alexander Fogassy:
Would you say that our best bet, based on the Aramaic of the rest of the sentence, is that Christ said Eloi? Or do you think that he was quoting the Aramaic Targum, and actually said Eli?

The Forum guidelines state:

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.

I've never studied Aramaic. My posts have tried to link you to "how you can use Logos tools to come to your own decision". I don't have a well-reasoned opinion on this, and if I had one it would be outside of guideline #1 to post it.

http://www.christiandiscourse.com/ is a discussion board run by Faithlife where you may be able to get other users' opinions on this one. 

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS