Hyperlink In Exported Clippings No Longer Take Me To Logos

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9
Jimmy Disney | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 1 2017 7:32 PM

My workflow has always been the following:  

1. Do research with Logos by sending items to clippings.
  2. Export Clippings to html file.  (All hyperlinks inside this document took me back to Logos.)
  3. Do all my academic and sermon writing with Scrivener.  Keep Logos open.
  4. I could previously click on any hyperlink from my clippings file and it would take me to the correct Logos location.

All hyperlinks inside clippings now take me to a website to purchase Logos Cloud.

How do I regain the ability for hyperlinks to take me to the Logos package that I purchased.

Thanks in advance for any help?

Posts 9
Jimmy Disney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 1 2017 7:39 PM

I went back and checked my older clippings.  All the hyperlinks up till Feb 15, 2017 take me directly to Logos.  All hyperlinks after that date take me to the site trying to purchase Logos Cloud.

Thx

Posts 8016
LogosEmployee

I've alerted the team to this problem.

In the meantime, it should work if you've purchased any Logos 7 base package (except for Logos 7 Basic) and sign into app.logos.com.

If not, it will take a few extra clicks, but if you copy-and-paste the URL into the command box of Logos 7, it will navigate to the correct location.

Posts 9
Jimmy Disney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 1 2017 7:47 PM

Thanks for your advice.

I purchased a Platinum edition of a previous version and did not want to continue spending $ for upgrades.  So, I'm now just running Logos 7 Basic with my Platinum library.

Any idea on how long before the hyperlinks are repaired?

Thanks again for your help. 

Posts 11
LogosEmployee
Justin Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 10:21 AM

Jimmy,

We've deployed an update this morning that should fix your hyperlinks. Clicking links from an external document should now take you to Logos desktop without requiring registration or sign-in on app.logos.com. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope this fix restores the workflow that you are accustomed to. Let us know if you continue to experience any problems with your hyperlinks.

Thanks!

Posts 9
Jimmy Disney | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 12:22 PM

Justin, 

Thanks for your reply.  I just ran a test after Logos updated.  I saved a clipping to html and the links are still taking me to the window asking me to purchase Logos Cloud.

I'll wait a couple hours and open Logos again.  I'll post back to let you know my status.

Thanks again for your help.

Jimmy

Posts 9
Jimmy Disney | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 8:18 AM

Justin,

My Logos has completed all updates as of 8/4/17.  Unfortunately,  all my hyperlinks (old & new) are still taking me to a page to purchase Logos Cloud.

Suggestions?  The hyperlinks are an important part of my workflow.

Thanks.

Posts 8016
LogosEmployee

The hyperlink will open your web browser, but it should also immediately open Logos 7 to the resource.

What browser are you using?

Posts 8016
LogosEmployee

We'll keep investigating this problem because we do want to ensure that all hyperlinks work to take you to Logos Bible Software.

In the meantime, you can change your settings to create hyperlinks that will always bypass the web. Click the cover image icon in your resource to open the panel menu. Next to "Copy Location As", select "L4". This will generate links that go straight to Logos 7 in the future. (These links will not work on Mac, but if you are a Windows user they will work.)

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 5 2017 12:17 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
In the meantime, you can change your settings to create hyperlinks that will always bypass the web. Click the cover image icon in your resource to open the panel menu. Next to "Copy Location As", select "L4". This will generate links that go straight to Logos 7 in the future.

Bradley,

I have never had any success with this performing as you just described, even before the problem being addressed in this thread. Using the L4 option for me has always produced links that open a web browser and then open the resource in Logos, never straight from clicking the link to opening the resource in Logos. I notice the mouse-over description of this option says it "may not work in some applications." Is Word 2010 one of those applications it does not work with? Using Windows 10, not a Mac. Here is an example of a hyperlink I get from this method:

https://ref.ly/logosres/icc-ac2?ref=Bible.Ac15.1-5&off=30&ctx=E+IN+ANTIOCH+15:1%E2%80%935%0a~(1)%C2%A0Certain+people+c

Posts 8016
LogosEmployee

That looks like a "Copy location as: URL" link.

A "Copy location as: L4" link should look like: 

logosres:icc-ac2;ref=Bible.Ac15.1-5;off=30;ctx=E_IN_ANTIOCH_15:1$E2$80$935$0A~(1)$C2$A0Certain_people_c

The "L4" option should have a blue highlight around it when you open the panel menu (if it's the current default).

What is your default browser in Windows 10? I tested your link in an "incognito/private" session in Edge, IE, Chrome, and Firefox. In each case, I was shown a Logos Cloud trial page in the browser (because I wasn't signed in with a Logos account), then immediately my browser transferred control to Logos 7 and opened ICC.

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 5 2017 7:49 PM

I concur. Similar problem but a little different flow.

I was asked by another Logos user (only has basic) who is a recent High School graduate I am trying to coach. I ran a Sermon Starter on a passage he was going to be teaching and exported to Word. Then emailed him the Word Doc so he could click on the Links to open in his version of Logos. All the hyperlinks opened in a Logos online app instead of his L7 program. (I generated the file from Windows, and he opened in a Mac).

It will be nice to have exported links open in L7 again!

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 10045
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 6 2017 10:20 AM

What is your default browser in Windows 10? I tested your link in an "incognito/private" session in Edge, IE, Chrome, and Firefox. In each case, I was shown a Logos Cloud trial page in the browser (because I wasn't signed in with a Logos account), then immediately my browser transferred control to Logos 7 and opened ICC.

Maybe that is the point for the OP as well as for David's friend: The ref.ly-links (who used to open an empty browser tab at one point in the past) first go for the Logos web app and open it - which gives that trial page for not-logged-in users / users with no license to use the web app - and then opens the application. I can imagine a lot of personal firewall / internet security configurations or software to prevent that second step.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 9
Jimmy Disney | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 6 2017 10:54 AM

Bradley,

Thanks for trying to fix this problem.  The hyperlinks take me to the Logos Cloud advertisement, but that's where it stops.  I'm not forwarded to my Logos 7.

I use Safari and all Mac products.  I use Logos on my Mac, iPad and iPhone.  

Jimmy

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 6 2017 3:16 PM

That looks like a "Copy location as: URL" link.

OK, figured out what is going on, and it does not have anything to do with my browser or the issue raised by this thread -- it was a user error on my end! Embarrassed I had misunderstood what Logos was doing. I thought that whenever I selected a block of text, copied it, and pasted it into Office, the hyperlink embedded in the citation Logos creates would use my preferred option for "Copy location as." As it turns out, this is not the case -- there is no relation whatsoever between my selected preference and the formatting Logos uses when it automatically creates citation links for things that I paste. I can have "Copy location as" set to L4, HTML, Wiki, or RL, but Logos apparently always uses the URL style link. Maybe an additional option will be added in the future to change this, but in the meanwhile at least I think I have a better understanding of how Logos works in the present.

Posts 8016
LogosEmployee

Jimmy Disney:

Thanks for trying to fix this problem.  The hyperlinks take me to the Logos Cloud advertisement, but that's where it stops.  I'm not forwarded to my Logos 7.

I use Safari and all Mac products.  I use Logos on my Mac, iPad and iPhone.  

The https://ref.ly/ links have always gone to a web site. About two weeks ago, it was a blank page that said something like "click here if you're not redirected" (or something like that). Do you ever remember seeing that? Did those links open Logos 7?

1-2 weeks ago, we changed that page to show the destination of the hyperlink (for Logos Now & Cloud users). But it should still redirect everyone who has Logos 7 installed to the Logos 7 application itself. Was this change when it stopped working for you?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS