Help searching for a topic in a non-Bible book

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 2 2017 7:48 AM

Hi -

Sorry for this basic question, but I am using more non-Bible books at the moment like histories and authors like Chesteron and C.S. Lewis.  I am wondering if there is any way to search for things like <topic ___> or <speaker ____> in non-Bible books.  I am able to search for a particular word or phrase, but often a book will address something without using the particular word.

Example:  find all the references to the second coming of Christ in <author:C.S. Lewis>

Searching for "parousia" finds a couple hits, and using <Luke 12:35-48> provides more, but I wonder if books like these are tagged or anything similar with "topics" or "themes" that I could search for.

Currently I am using this link for search terms:  https://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help#Searching_for_Bible_Verses_and_other_References

Thanks for enlightening me!

Chris

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 2 2017 7:58 AM

Sorry, forgot to add:

Logos 7, Reformed Gold, Logos Now

thanks again!

Chris

Posts 29718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 2 2017 10:24 AM

Chris Garrett:
I am wondering if there is any way to search for things like <topic ___> or <speaker ____> in non-Bible books.

The way that "speaker" works is that words or phrases are hand tagged in the bibles... I don't think any non-bibles are tagged with speaker tags. For topics, you should use a topic guide. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 2 2017 10:28 AM

For clarification: You will use a topic guide, add the "collections" section, then filter for the collection you want to search. Again, those resources have to be tagged for those topics to work. 

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 2 2017 12:50 PM

Thanks Alabama.

I took the topic of "Second Coming" and applied it to the collection of author: C.S. Lewis.  The topic search that Logos created looked like this:

("([lang en] [field heading] Second) ([lang en] [field heading] Coming)", "([lang en] [field heading] Advent)", "([lang en] [field heading] Coming)", "([lang en] [field heading] Coming) ([lang en] [field heading] of) ([lang en] [field heading] Christ)", "([lang en] [field heading] Delay) ([lang en] [field heading] of) ([lang en] [field heading] the) ([lang en] [field heading] Parousia)", "([lang en] [field heading] Imminence)", "([lang en] [field heading] Parousia)", "([lang en] [field heading] Return) ([lang en] [field heading] of) ([lang en] [field heading] Christ)", "([lang en] [field heading] Revelation) ([lang en] [field heading] of) ([lang en] [field heading] Christ)", "([lang en] [field heading] Second) ([lang en] [field heading] Advent)", "([lang en] [field heading] Second) ([lang en] [field heading] Coming) ([lang en] [field heading] of) ([lang en] [field heading] Christ)", "([lang en] [field heading] The) ([lang en] [field heading] coming) ([lang en] [field heading] of) ([lang en] [field heading] Christ)", "([lang en] [field heading] The) ([lang en] [field heading] Second) ([lang en] [field heading] Coming) ([lang en] [field heading] of) ([lang en] [field heading] Christ)")

Result:  6 additional hits that I didn't have before, so that was some success.

I think the key for me to understand is that the resources have to be tagged first.  My assumption is that very little non-Bible books are actually tagged.

Thanks again.

Posts 29718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 2 2017 1:18 PM

Chris Garrett:
My assumption is that very little non-Bible books are actually tagged.

Well, or tagged differently. For example, when you read book "x," and it references book "y," sometimes the two will be linked together. With the kind of tags you are referencing (i.e. speaker), bible tagging has bigger "bang for the buck" for FL. Most FL users utilize at least one bible translation and therefore a larger audience for the feature. While the tagging would have to be done for each translation individually, once one translation has been tagged, it is much easier to tag the rest. That isn't true for non-bible resources. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS