Can a Pro help me out here please?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Patrick Oben | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 4 2017 8:09 PM

Hello precious saints,

I just  got logos and  still trying to figure out my way around with best practices. I have been looking for the best way to search for the right bible verses. I wanted to look for verses where the LORD Himself is mentioned as Teacher( God as Teacher). I have watched the videos on using the fuzzy search, concordance, bible browser, fact book and even the bible sense lexicon. I have tried each of them but still not getting the results I am looking for.

How best would you conduct a search like this?

Thank you,

Patrick

Posts 19600
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 9:14 PM

Welcome Big Smile

One search idea is proximity of the Person of God OR Jesus with verb to teach:

(<Person God> OR <Person Jesus>) WITHIN 3 WORDS <Sense to teach>

Since used OR between persons, search results have different color corresponding to Person.

Fuzzy Bible Search idea is:

Jesus teach

Factbook section has some topics to explore.

Edit: oops Embarrassed as Facebook and Factbook are a bit different Embarrassed

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3575
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 9:29 PM

Patrick Oben:
I wanted to look for verses where the LORD Himself is mentioned as Teacher( God as Teacher).

Welcome to the forums Patrick!

I will seek to show you a simple method to achieve a satisfactory answer to your question. First, let's find a verse that qualifies. I used a Fuzzy Search "God is my guide"

I selected Ps 25.5 to work with. Next, I opened my ESV to the verse. I Right clicked on the word "teach" and selected the "Sense" entry from the menu along the right side of the popup. I then selected Search: "this resource" from the left side of the popup menu.

Now, I again Right clicked on "teach" to bring up the popup hovered over God as Addressee selected this for another Search: "this resource."

Now, you can combine these two Searches by copying and pasting and using an appropriate operator I used INTERSECTS, WITHIN will also work.

You can now construct other searches using this method where God is the "Speaker." The appropriate Fuzzy Search will speed you along the way. I will allow you to explore this on your own.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 6010
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 9:39 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Facebook section has some topics to explore.

Facebook = Factbook (auto-correct obviously not familiar with Logos Bible Software)

Posts 11
Patrick Oben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 5 2017 9:31 AM

Awesome, thank you thank you thank you!!! I just tried  both methods suggested above  and what an eye opener to me.  Blessings 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS