What is the "Prophets, Priests, Regents, and Judges Dataset"?

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1401
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 7 2017 3:41 PM

Anyone know what this dataset is?

Logos 9  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 11 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posts 1476
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 5:24 PM

The Prophets, Priests, Regents, and Judges Dataset is a new dataset licensed for Logos Now users. We haven't quite finished the documentation yet, so I wasn't aware the dataset itself was licensed and available. Where applicable, It should show up in right-click context menu, the info panel, and also is searchable using the {Label } pragma.

Each label (Prophet, Priest, Regent, and Judge) has different properties may be annotated for a given instance.

• Prophet
    • Agent: The person entity annotated as a prophet.
    • Role: The context-specific role of this instance. For prophets, the Role is always Prophet.
    • Deity: The divine entity the prophet serves. Most prophets in the Bible are prophets of God but there are others mentioned in the text.
  • Priest
    • Agent: The person entity annotated as a priest.
    • Role: The context-specific role of this instance. Available roles include:
      • Priest
      • High Priest
      • Chief Priest
    • Deity: The divine entity the priest serves. Most priests in the Bible are priests of God but there are others mentioned in the text.
  • Regent
    • Agent: The person entity annotated as a regent (national or regional leader)
      • King
      • Queen
      • Emperor
      • Tetrarch
    • Region: The context-specific region the regent administers.
  • Judge
    • Agent: The person entity annotated as a judge.
    • Role: The context-specific role of this instance. For judges, the Role is always Judge.
    • Region: The context-specific region the judge administers.

Relevant information about Prophets, Priests, Regents, and Judges can be searched using Label search extension. To do this, one needs to know the fields within the data type (annotated above). Once these are known, a search can be specified. For example, the following search will locate instances of queens in the Bible:

{Label Regent WHERE Role ~ "Queen"}

Or, perhaps, instances involving rulers of Egypt:

{Label Regent WHERE Region ~ <Place Egypt (nation)>}

Or instances involving priests of Baal:

{Label Priest WHERE Deity ~ <Person Baal (deity)>}

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1401
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 5:36 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
It should show up in right-click context menu, the info panel, and also is searchable using the {Label } pragma.

Awesome, thanks Rick and team!

Logos 9  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 11 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posts 6010
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 7:06 PM

Thanks Rick.

Posts 2003
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 7:45 PM

I really hope Logos' dev makes search like this simpler.. There's no way I can remember the operator words..

Could you guys at least make it a drop down  possibilities like how you guys do visual filter-morph search?? Too many...

Posts 194
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 7:59 PM

Rick:  Will this info also show up in the concordance tool when available?

Posts 1476
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 8:32 PM

mike:

I really hope Logos' dev makes search like this simpler.. There's no way I can remember the operator words..

Could you guys at least make it a drop down  possibilities like how you guys do visual filter-morph search?? Too many...

We hope to include the data in Bible Browser, which will make browsing/examining the data much easier.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1476
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 8:33 PM

John Brumett:

Rick:  Will this info also show up in the concordance tool when available?

The data is not tied to any one translation, so I don't believe it will show up in Concordance. We do, however, hope to include it in Bible Browser in the future.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1401
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 8:36 PM

We hope to include the data in Bible Browser, which will make browsing/examining the data much easier.

Excellent, I'm excited and thankful for this

Posts 510
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 9:05 PM

Very cool!

It seems like Bible Browser is the FL answer to helping users find this kind of tagged data without having to memorize long code-like search terms. It's looks like a step in the right direction, I'll have to acquaint myself with it more. I am. It sure if it's a perfect solution, but I like that FL is moving towards more user friendly ways to incorporate their exhaustive tagging!

maybe between right click options and Bible browser, these datasets will become much more accessible. 

Just thinking out loud... (and through my fingers 😉)

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 167
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 9:09 PM

I am sorry, but I have no idea what this is or how to find it. Please explain

Posts 19600
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 9:23 PM

{Label Regent WHERE Role ~ "Queen"}

Searched for King:

{Label Regent WHERE Role ~ King}

Searched for High Priest role:

{Label Priest WHERE Role ~ "High Priest"}

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1401
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 9:59 PM

Ted Harms:
I have no idea what this is or how to find it.

One clarification is that you must be a member of Logos NOW to gain access to this new dataset

Posts 28018
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 8 2017 12:20 AM

Regent

• Agent: The person entity annotated as a regent (national or regional leader)
    • King
    • Queen
    • Emperor
    • Tetrarch
  • Region: The context-specific region the regent administers.

Cool.

If you want to know about Kings other than David then use:

{Label Regent WHERE Role ~ King AND NOT Agent ~ <Person David>}

However, I note** that "I have provided for myself a king among his sons." (1 Sam 16:1) is not tagged for Regent whilst it is tagged for Person David. I could understand "sons" not being tagged but "a king" is a specific role as opposed to other referents for David in 1 Sam 16; except that the referents in v. 13 are tagged when he is anointed. The next tagging occurs in 2 Sam 2:1-7 (after Saul's death), omits kingly referents in 2 Sam 2:10-3:28, includes 3:31, then ignores 3:32-4:12. Similar inconsistencies in 1 Kings and 2 Kings.

So it is not clear what the policy is, or is tagging incomplete?

Also is it intended that David always be tagged as King over Israel, ignoring the period when he was only King over Judah?

-

**  using <Person David> NOTEQUALS {Label Regent}

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 167
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 8 2017 2:05 AM

Thanks so much for the clarification and diagrams. Now I get it. I sure wish, however, that the searching in Logos was not so complicated. How can I possibly remember all the search operations? Maybe keep some type of Word document.

Posts 28018
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 8 2017 4:31 AM

Ted Harms:
How can I possibly remember all the search operations?

Wait until the documentation is complete as per Rick's comment above. But a right click on a person in your bible will provide the Label details and provide a formatted Search.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 28018
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 8 2017 5:07 AM

Dave Hooton:
So it is not clear what the policy is, or is tagging incomplete?

The Context search from "Rehoboam" (1 Kings 12:6) is {Label Regent WHERE Agent ~ <Person Rehoboam> AND Region ~ <Place @Judah> AND Role ~ "King"}, and there is an issue with <Place @Judah>. Even when corrected there are no results for {Label Regent WHERE Region ~ <Place Judah (kingdom)>}

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1476
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 8 2017 7:36 AM

I'll look into both of your issues, Dave (particularly with @Judah).

The Prophet, Priest, Regent, and King analysis is based on the Bible Knowledgebase person data which also assigns roles (some of which are prophet, priest, etc.). I don't believe that those roles were also assigned to the agent-as-referent instances. That is, our initial analysis was of named persons; the referent data was completed later.

There is some extrapolation going on in the data preparation (IIRC, we evaluate the referent instances to see if they're in the same verse as a named instance and associate the same role data for the dataset, but I may be mis-remembering that with other dataset preparation).

This is all to say: The role data is instance-specific, it is not attached to the person information. This means that Aaron can be a priest or a high priest, depending on context of instance. We would, at some level, need to evaluate the rest of the instances to see which role would be proper to assign. I have some ideas that may speed some of that up, but don't know if the strategy would be wholly appropriate.

Thanks, though, for really pushing through this data, and the suggestions to make it better! I'm thinking the @Judah issue should be fairly easy to resolve (and I'll have to look for other similar issues); not so sure about attaching role information to referent-based instances.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1476
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 8 2017 7:38 AM

Dave Hooton:

Ted Harms:
How can I possibly remember all the search operations?

Wait until the documentation is complete as per Rick's comment above. But a right click on a person in your bible will provide the Label details and provide a formatted Search.

Hoping to publish the documentation later today (Tuesday) or tomorrow (Wednesday). But the information I provided above in this thread is taken directly from the documentation and is the most relevant part of the documentation for use of the dataset.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1476
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 8 2017 10:11 AM

I'll look into both of your issues, Dave (particularly with @Judah).

It'll require a little more testing internally, but I think I've addressed the @Judah problem.

In doing that work, it also made sense to remove the "Role" from both Prophet and Judge, since they each only have one role that is equivalent with the label name itself. There's no good reason for the redundancy, so it makes sense to remove.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS